You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New skates - stay with Freestyle or ??  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Alibee

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
New skates - stay with Freestyle or ??
« on: July 28, 2014, 07:14:25 PM »
My daughter has outgrown her Jackson Freestyles...sort of. Her right foot is about a half size bigger than her left (5 vs. 4.5 in shoes), so the right foot is increasingly uncomfortable, while the left is only moderately uncomfortable.

We had them stretched at the skate shop and that bought us a week or two, but it's definitely time. Because of the size differential, the gal at the skate shop we went to was reluctant to go up too much in the next pair, so she's ordered a 5D in the Jackson Freestyles for us to try. The clerk tried some Gam skates on my daughter in sizes 5 and 5.5, but both sizes felt tremendously uncomfortable to her.

Any other brands we should think about trying? My daughter's been very happy with the Freestyle, but if there's a brand that would accommodate her better, I'm willing to check it out. She's almost 9 and in ISI Freestyle 2. We're in Los Angeles - any store recommendations are welcome as well.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: New skates - stay with Freestyle or ??
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 07:55:16 PM »
When you get the new boots, you could try a couple of tricks with the boot that's 'too big' while she grow into it.

Double insoles in the small boot can work if there's not too much difference.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:06:30 PM »
Agree with the double insoles suggestion. I used that before and it worked well.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 07:32:43 PM »
I've been thinking I should put together a blog post about all my boot fitting solutions. Man, I've really got to the top of my game on that topic this week.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 10:25:23 AM »
I've been thinking I should put together a blog post about all my boot fitting solutions. Man, I've really got to the top of my game on that topic this week.

Yes please!  Do that soon as I'm about to lash out and get "fitted" for new boots.

Offline Alibee

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:00:03 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I'm hoping it won't be too much of a problem, because she has complained about both skates feeling tight.

Offline Alibee

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 06:56:06 PM »
Update: the 5s came in, we tried them on, and they were too small! I shouldn't be surprised - she grew half an inch in just under a month this summer. We remeasured and have ordered a 6C, which I hope will be here soon. Thanks again for the advice!