You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Artistic Roller Skating Ladies Costumes  (Read 4516 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Artistic Roller Skating Ladies Costumes
« on: March 16, 2014, 09:25:43 PM »
So I passed through an artistic roller skating competition today. I think it was state or regioals.  I was at the rink on other business, and while waiting around  I just did some comparisons between roller customs and ice skating customs.

The competition was well attended but it was eerie to see people gliding along off ice.
women's Roller costumes are kind of still in the 80s and really, really more bare than figure skating costumes. They seem too look more like costumes from the tango part of Dancesport. There's a lot more sparkle and really big chandelier earrings. There's a 'thing' where the women wear decorative bands on their upper arms, or fingerless gloves. Mens costumes could pass for mens ice skating costumes except there seems to be a distinctive hem to the pants. Mens pants seemed to go to the toe.

On the other hand, unlike ice skating competitions, I didn't see any five year olds dressed up like hookers--yes, we've all seen that.

When I say, 'bare' costumes, I really mean 'bare'. I ran into some figure skaters later that day who had been at the comp on the first day. My friends described one costume that consisted of a sparkly boob covers (black on one, white on the other--not a bra, just the cups) a body totally of illusion fabric, and a skirt. A teeny-tiny skirt. 

Anyway, it hit me right in the face that ice and roller have this underlying cultural difference, and I thought I'd just mention it. I think you could certainly wear a roller skating costume to an ice skating comp, but the way they even cut their skits is different. So different costume conventions at the amateur level. When I looked up their world competitions, the costumes could have passed without a second glance at an ice skating comp.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Artistic Roller Skating Ladies Costumes
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 01:27:45 AM »
Don't know if this is relevant, but one Olympic sportscaster said that ice skaters can't show more than 50% bare skin. She said that before the rule, many ice dancers wore a lot less.

Do you plan to take up roller dance?

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 11:50:50 AM »
In searching for information on sewing skating dresses, I have come across some roller skating dress blogs and found the differences interesting. It seemed to me that the roller dresses were somewhat harsh or sharp (for lack of a better description) compared to the softer lines that ice dresses generally have. This is especially apparent in the skirt design with the deep v cuts of the roller dresses compared to the more rounded cut that most ice dresses have. Also, if I were an adult skater (which I'm not) I think I would prefer the nude illusion over bare areas because I would want to cover up all the little rolls and bumps along the back and create a smoother line. I would also be worried that a costume would slip or twist more with so much open space.

On the other hand, unlike ice skating competitions, I didn't see any five year olds dressed up like hookers--yes, we've all seen that.
THIS is a pet peeve of mine. I will never understand why some parents want their young girls to appear sexy, why not flaunt the beauty of innocence?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:45:50 PM »
THIS is a pet peeve of mine. I will never understand why some parents want their young girls to appear sexy, why not flaunt the beauty of innocence?

My suspicion is that the parent who dresses their daughter up like a hooker, then lets her skate to "Santa Baby" (which is about a woman manipulating her lover to give her extravagant gifts--basically a mistress or courtesan), is the first parent to complain if there's something not 'family friendly' at the rink (or God forbid an adult skater shows a bit of boob)
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline skatezilla

• Searching for my back edges
  • Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:03:49 PM »
I've been interested  in the differences, too, as I sew my own ice skating dresses. The skirts on roller skating dresses appear, to me, to resemble loincloths and yes, there's a lot of bareness and weird arm band thingies, sometimes with attached "wings" of fabric. I've never been to a roller competition.....would be interesting to see these in action.

And don't get me started on inappropriate music.....or people wearing clown outfits when skating to "Send in the Clowns."

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 03:16:59 PM »
One song that is [was?] quite popular with early teen and tween girls, on and off ice, is Manbo #5.

I see why a teen boy who wants to be popular might like it, but not why girls of any age would.

Maybe they like the catchy dance beat, and lyrics don't matter.

A local Synchro group, roughly tween age, uses it in their routine. I asked a skating mom about it, and she didn't see any problem.

Maybe young girls like it because it is naughty enough to push boundaries, but is within what their parents let them get away with, because it isn't explicit.

Perhaps flirty dresses for girls too young to date seriously are like that too...

I love dresses that show a standing wave pattern as they twirl. It really draws the eye's attention to the lady. Much more common in ballroom than on ice, though one of the ladies at Sochi had such a dress.