You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Sewing Machine Beginner Question  (Read 2280 times)

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Sewing Machine Beginner Question
« on: March 12, 2014, 05:49:31 PM »
An acquaintance of mine is selling a Singer Confidence 7463 sewing machine for $100. She said she used it only about twice and just doesn't have time for it.

I'm interested in learning to sew to begin to maybe make some simple skating skirts and things like that. Those of you who know about sewing, will this machine suffice? Is the price good?

I want to try learning to sew, but don't know that I'll actually stick with it, so I don't want to make a big investment.

Any advice is helpful, thanks!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline jbruced

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 5
Re: Sewing Machine Beginner Question
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 06:30:05 PM »
From what I have read about this machine, I would not buy it. For the type of sewing you indicate you may do I would suggest buying an older mechanical, basic machine. Skip the stuff with any form of computerization at this price point. They can be very problematic.

Offline CaraSkates

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 367
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 08:13:47 PM »
I never recommend Singer as a sewing machine brand - have not had good experiences with it. I sew for a living on two older style Berninas and always recommend that but they are an expensive brand. If you are only willing to spend $100 on a machine, you will spend more time fighting with the machine then sewing garments.

When I taught beginning sewing classes, I had several students on the Project Runway Brother Machine and it sewed very well, did everything they asked of it with no trouble. I think it's more in the $200 range? I just recommended it to someone else and they have been very happy. I don't have any experience sewing spandex on this machine although I think it could do an ok job on some basics. I would not suggest starting with spandex. Start with simple cottons and just get used to the machine.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 08:38:14 PM »
You may find this post useful. It has links to a series of posts on makeing skating dresses. There's a long discussion in there about machine selection
http://skatingforums.com/index.php?topic=5295.msg59267#msg59267
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 09:25:21 PM »
Thank you! That was exactly the information I was looking for. I decided to pass on it based on all your comments.

I have wondered for some time if I'd like to learn to sew, or if I just want to know how to sew already. In other words, I'm unsure whether I have the patience to go through the learning process before I can make the things I eventually want to make. That was why I thought I would jump on this machine if it was a good deal, since it was a low entry price point.

I'll keep the Brother machine CaraSkates mentioned in mind in case I do get a stronger itch to jump in.

Thank you again, everybody!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »
I sew on an old Bernina 801 sport and would recommend one to anybody starting to sew. They can be pricey and a bit difficult to find, but you can sell it when you are finished for about the same amount of money you purchased for. Having a machine that doesn't work well is difficult and frustrating for experienced sewers let alone someone new. It can sort of make or break your experience. Do you have a sewing machine center that sells used equipment so that you can give them a try, or a sewing friend that can shop with you? I started with a Singer and hated sewing because I spent most of my time messing with tension and dealing with knotted up bobbin thread and such. Also, if you've never sewn before, look for a class in your area to become familiar with the basics. Many fabric stores offer beginner classes. It is so much fun to be able to design and put together skating dresses that are unique, fit the music, and look good on a skater's particular body type. Good luck and have fun!

I learned much about sewing skating items from this blog, the posts are all older but have lots of great information.
http://icemom.blogspot.com/

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 05:16:56 PM »
I learned how to sew on my mom's vintage 800 series Bernina.  I have a Bernina now (Activa 230) because of it.  Those old ones don't die.

My mother was in the local shop having hers serviced and someone offered her an insane price for it.  She said no since she's not interested in a new machine.

So...if you can find an old mechanical machine, go for it.  You don't need a $1000+ machine, but as others have said, learning to sew on a decent machine makes a huge difference.  I second sewing classes- you'll learn something and meet other local sewers.  Or if you're in a situation like me where there are no classes available, there are some good books out there and plenty of blogs.  Don't give into the temptation to start with spandex though. 

New machines are probably easier to find and evaluate though, and you have reminded me that at one point I was researching sewing machines for my kids.  I found this blog post that might be helpful for you.  It evaluates inexpensive, but good quality children's and entry level machines:

http://stashforgood.com/?p=1378

I also like icemom's blog- lotta good stuff there.