You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What boots?  (Read 3197 times)

Offline Tigerstein

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
What boots?
« on: November 16, 2013, 04:12:22 PM »
I've been using my sisters old skates since I started. At first they were stiff but now I feel like they just aren't giving me enough support. In my lessons we are working on toe loops, salchows, beginning backspin, and camels. I started in this past April, so I've been improving faster than I thought. I also have a very wide ball of my foot and a narrow heel. Any boot recommendations? Thank you!

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: What boots?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 06:58:44 PM »
Jackson Premier with a split width or Harlick Competitor X-line.

Offline Tigerstein

• Under the Edge
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 07:30:33 PM »
Thanks, I'll look into them!

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 01:09:37 AM »
Talk to your coach to find what stiffness they recommend.  Then, hopefully you have access to a good fitter.  They can guide you towards brands in terms of your foot shape.

It sounds like several people on here have split width Jackson's.  As a heads up, Gam (owned by Jackson) also does split widths.  I bet Riedell could do it, too. I like the idea, and if you need it, hopefully your fitter is experienced enough to be able to advise you.  Mine wasn't.

But try several brands.  You  might be surprised at what your foot likes.  I just went through this and was fully expecting to order split width Jackson's, but the shop I went to had never heard of that.  Neither could they tell me which width/combo I'd need- they only keep C's in stock.  My old fitter would have been able to do this.  However, I found a different brand that actually works surprisingly well; one boot might eventually need a little punching at the ball, but otherwise they seem pretty good.  In any case, cheaper than a semi-custom!

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 02:34:01 AM »
I'm nowhere near your level  ;) but I have Riedells and I like them a lot.

I know they have a wide range of levels/stiffnesses and they do custom (so they could probably do a split width) for $60 extra.
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline Tigerstein

• Under the Edge
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 11:54:09 AM »
Thanks! I'll probably go to the pro-shop at Pettit National Ice Center. I've read that they have many different brands, so I can try on skates there. Thanks so much for replying! Loops, what brand do you have?

Offline Loops

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
I have the Risport Dance in whatever their standard width is.  They're brand new, so I need more time before I can pass judgement.  In my situation, I felt ordering would have been too risky since I'd have been stuck with them whether they fit or not.   So, they were the best option available to me.  I don't know how Risport freestyle boots feel, but I also tried on Jackson's, Edeas, and Graf all in dance and Free models.   No Riedell's or stock Harlick's here. 

My old boots were Riedells in an A width.  They're fine in the heel, but I totally had to have the front punched out as far as my skate guy could do it.

My Risports are fine in the heel, so far, but a little tight across ball of my right foot in particular where I have a small bunion.  So far, by lacing it a little looser just over that point it's working.  Fingers crossed it continues to do so.

Definitely go where there's lots to try on.   You'll learn a lot.  Isn't it Rainbo where you're going?  They seem to know a thing or two there, so you'll be in very good hands.  Ask lots of questions.

Offline Tigerstein

• Under the Edge
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 10:18:21 PM »
Yep, it's Rainbo. Have you ever been there?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 10:27:50 PM »
Riedell definitely does split widths; both in stock and custom.  We have I think an A - AAA combo on my DD.  IIRC, it was around $20 to go more than that ... but it may have gone up as that was a few years ago.

Second that you absolutely have to talk to your coach and go to a good fitter.  I have two in stock Riedells - that cannot wear Jacksons - and one in full custom because nothing stock could ever fit.  But, that is not because Riedell is better (although i will argue that the baby boot line from Riedell is better than that from Jackson in terms of being lighter and easier to bend) - it is just because that is what fits!

Offline Loops

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 02:28:31 AM »
No, I've never been to Rainbo, but I've heard of them and they have a good reputation.   There are people on this forum I'm sure who've been there and can speak more directly.

You'll be able to tell if you have a good/decent fitter- they'll probably want to see/talk to you about your old skates, and they'll be very interactive in the process.  If they give you a stack of boots and leave you to it (like a shoesalesperson), by all means try them on to self educate, but go elsewhere to buy. 

I agree with Sk8mum- all the brands make good boots.  Which brand you end up with is a question of last shape and resulting fit.

Offline Tigerstein

• Under the Edge
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 05:52:19 PM »
Thanks so much!

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 07:32:33 PM »
I too have a wide ball and very narrow heel.  I went through a pair of Jackson Premieres which gave me Haglund's deformity on my heels from slippage.  Moved to a Riedell Gold Star 375 and had the same Haglund's issues from slippage.  Now in a pair of custom Harlicks and they are SWEEET.  If you have a weird foot, you might need to go custom.  I tried on a dozen pair of boots at the Detroit Figure Skating club and thought the Riedells were great.  I was very wrong.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline Tigerstein

• Under the Edge
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »
I'm going to be so scared buying new skates…what if you don't fit right, that's a lot of money! Anyway, thanks!