You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Jackson Artiste + 210 pound, adult woman - Do they hold up well?  (Read 6387 times)

Offline wordsthatrhyme

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
Jackson Artiste + 210 pound, adult woman - Do they hold up well?
« on: September 09, 2013, 12:00:52 PM »
I'm about to start Learn to Skate lessons next month and am thinking about getting the Jackson Artiste skates.

If you are willing to reply and are in the obese category with these skates, could you tell me how well they're holding up and how long you've had them for - and your skating level?

If you aren't in the overweight or obese category, what are you opinions on how long you think these could last for me?

Thanks.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Jackson Artiste + 210 pound, adult woman - Do they hold up well?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 12:52:03 PM »
The Artiste model is not the right choice for you.  It doesn't have the support built-in for your weight. It'll break down very quickly and you'll need to buy/break in new skates within a few months.

You'd be better off in a Classique or a Freestyle model.  You'll get at least a year of a few hours/week skating before they start to break down. (Assuming you're not jumping)  The Freestyle model will last longer, but it's more expensive.  If you plan to lose weight, invest in the Classique and then get remeasured when they start to loosen up.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline wordsthatrhyme

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 05:18:30 PM »
Thank you for replying. :)

You mentioned that the Classique or Freestyle models would be better for my weight, but I'm a beginner, just starting basic lessons next month, won't the boot be too firm for me? Aren't they made for the higher-level skills?

Do you think I should just learn on rentals for a year while I lower my weight and raise my skill level before I purchase skates?

The person who measures and sharpens figure skates at my rink says that he primarily sells Riedells.
Would you suggest any of those?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 05:32:21 PM »
Do you think I should just learn on rentals for a year while I lower my wait and raise my skill level before I purchase skates?

rental skates are not recommended if you are serious about skating.

what is your budget?

Offline wordsthatrhyme

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 06:00:00 PM »
Around $150 or less, for now.

I don't think I'd ever compete, and I might never even get up to Freestyle levels, but I would like to attempt completing lessons in  the Delta level and to skate at least once a week after my lessons are over.
I've been skating once a week for about a month, just for fun and to increase my courage and lessen my fears.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2013, 06:10:47 PM »
Can I say something here as a skater not a coach?

I think it's self-defeating to think about your first pair of skates as something you're going to get a lot of wear out of. Think of them as throwaway skates.

First off, no matter how good the skate fitter, the first pair probably won't fit perfectly unless you're one of the 'lucky few'. But you'll learn from your first pair what you need in a skate. Narrower here, wider there.

I mean by the time you've skated in them for 6 months or so, if they haven't broken down you'll be thinking about your next pair. If they fit well (but broke down in a few months) you can go to the fitter and say, "X fit fine. I need a skate built on an X last, but that can hold up more." If they didn't fit well, and still have life in them, you'll be better off going to the fitter and saying "X skates are too wide in the heel. The stiffness is fine but I need a narrower heel " (or whatever you observed.)
I don't know why people want to 'get good wear' out of their skates when they don't fit.  I know they're expensive, but jeeze you can do permanent damage to your feet or the pain can discourage you from skating.

The first pair of skates to my mind, is 'learner skates'. Use 'em, learn about what you need in a fit for your next pair and move on.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline amy1984

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 06:28:24 PM »
I don't think they'd be too stiff.  I'm a huge proponent of it being almost impossible to over boot a fully grown and normal to large sized adult unless you're looking high up in the chain of skates.  I started with Mystiques as an adult and found them to be too wobbly, moved up to Gam Zenniths, then Jackson freestyles, them into GAM Podiums, and then into Risport RF3s.  Except for the ubber stiff Risports, I didn't have trouble with the stiffness of any of them, and the Risports broke in with some work and a heat gun :P  Actually, as an adult, I found most of them a little wobbly after just a bit of use and needed the extra support of the Risport.  So for a beginner?  I'd say those mid Jackson's would be just fine.  Just make sure you're fitted properly.

But certainly there may be an uncomfortable period.  Don't let this make you think the skates are 'wrong' for you.  They'll need to be broken in a bit.

Offline wordsthatrhyme

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 07:03:03 PM »
I think it's self-defeating to think about your first pair of skates as something you're going to get a lot of wear out of. Think of them as throwaway skates.

I'd rather not spend 150 dollars on throwaway skates. :D

Maybe I should just get the cheap 50 dollars skates from Walmart (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Women-s-American-523-Sumilon-Lined-Figure-Skate/13815910) for learning purposes and see how long they last while I'm working on losing fat and gaining ice skating skills. That way I don't lose too much when they breakdown quickly.

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 07:26:12 PM »
Ack!  Whatever you do don't buy skates from Walmart!  That's like taking $50 and flushing it down the toilet.  You'll have ZERO support and blades so bad you'll slide all over the place.

Do you live in an area where there is a good skate shop? 

I don't think the Classique would be too stiff for you, but if you can try on a pair, or even hold a pair in your hands, you might feel more comfortable spending the money.  Really, decent skates are worth the money spent on them.  You'll progress SO much faster if you feel more stable and confident on the ice.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 07:35:15 PM »
I'd rather not spend 150 dollars on throwaway skates. :D

Maybe I should just get the cheap 50 dollars skates from Walmart for learning purposes and see how long they last while I'm working on losing fat and gaining ice skating skills. That way I don't lose too much when they breakdown quickly.

I learned my basic skills on cheap skates with no ankle support, not a good idea in hindsight. They offer minimal ankle support and I fell a lot on turns. Injury prevention should be a main factor in cost analysis.

Jackson Classique is be OK in my opinion. Do you have a skating proshop nearby?

I also agree with AgnesNitt that the first pair never fits well. Actually they mysteriously always end up too big!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 07:40:15 PM »
Do you think I should just learn on rentals for a year while I lower my wait and raise my skill level before I purchase skates?

If you have tried out the sport and decided you want to learn it, you really need your own boots.  You don't need high-end expensive boots, but you will progress faster - and be much more comfortable! - in your own boots.

The person who measures and sharpens figure skates at my rink says that he primarily sells Riedells.
Would you suggest any of those?

There are many reputable makers to choose from, including Riedell.  However, the most important thing is to get a boot that fits properly - an ill-fitting boot will hinder your progress, cause you discomfort or pain, and may cause you lasting injury.  The first thing you need to consider when buying boots, is which *brand* of boot fits your feet best.  There is no one right boot for everyone; every maker has a different last and each last fits differently.  Some people will slide right into Riedells but couldn't wear Jacksons; others fit Jacksons right out of the box but couldn't wear Risport etc.

You mentioned that the Classique or Freestyle models would be better for my weight, but I'm a beginner, just starting basic lessons next month, won't the boot be too firm for me? Aren't they made for the higher-level skills?

If your foot is a "Jackson foot", I'd second/third/fourth everyone's  of Freestyle or Classique.  Both are rated stiffness 45, which is not really that stiff for a heavier adult.  The main difference between them is that Freestyle has a leather sole while the Classique has a plastic sole with a riveted blade.  The blade on the Classique is fine for beginners, but the plastic sole means it is very difficult to reset if your foot alignment means the blade needs moving (most skate pros won't/can't move blades on plastic soles).

With a budget of ~ $150, you might luck into a pair of Classiques on sale.  As a beginner, you might also consider looking into secondhand boots - you can often end up with a nice pair of boots for much less than new, and someone's already done the hard work of breaking them in.  If you do go the secondhand route, take someone competent with you to be sure you don't end up with a lemon which is completely broken down or has a twisted sole etc.

Don't - whatever you do - buy the $50 Walmart jobs.

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 10:19:37 PM »
I started out in a Riedell 133. And like most folks have said, you learn a lot about fit from the first pair.  Riedell wasn't the right brand for my feet, and I ended up switching to Jackson Competitors about 7 months into this.  (The balls of my feet are wider, and my heels narrower, plus Jackson is a little wider in general.) 

The Competitors were a little above my skill level, but being plus sized, I needed something with the appropriate level of support.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend rentals.  The blades are usually dull, and you're never really sure what level of maintenance has been done.  Having the right equipment really saves on the stress and frustration.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 10:26:47 PM »
I was about your weight when I started.  My rink sold Jackson, so I wound up in either the Classique or Mystique.  I wore them a little over a year and jumped up to Competitors when my heels started slipping.  If you do get up to the four hours a week you are planning, your feet (along the the rest of your body) will lose weight and you will need new skates for that reason alone.

And please, no Walmart, or Dicks, or Sport Authority skates. Invest a little and get good REAL skates, not flimsy ones. You won't regret it.

PS--I'm on my second pair of Competitors.  I got about six or seven years out of that first pair.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline wordsthatrhyme

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 12:51:37 AM »
Thank you all, again.

I promise I won't get any from Walmart. :)

I forgot to mention that I'm 5'1", so I have about 80-100 pounds to lose.

I was about your weight when I started.  My rink sold Jackson, so I wound up in either the Classique or Mystique.

Aren't Mystiques lower on the quality and support scale than Artistes? I thought Artistes were a step up for something reason.

Do you live in an area where there is a good skate shop? 
Unfortunately, no. The only skate shop around here is the Hockey Pro Shop located in the rink building - and that's an hour away from where I live.

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 01:17:06 AM »
Aren't Mystiques lower on the quality and support scale than Artistes? I thought Artistes were a step up for something reason.

You're right; according to the Jackson website, Artiste (stiffness 25) are stiffer than Mystique (stiffness 15).

http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?product=se7dWtAZf8y3xrNP1f8LJg1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E
http://www.jacksonultima.com/en/Index.aspx?product=9fwjm4tY2AKEnVn4W9BRiQ1A2B3C4D5E1A2B3C4D5E

Can you ask some of your skating buddies if you might just try on their skates, to get a feel for what brand/size you might be?  It might save a whole lot of searching around if you can eliminate some brands out of the box.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 06:45:10 AM »
I think of M-A-C to scale the Jackson models: Mystique, Artiste, then Classique. (L=>H)  Having physically compared them, I think the Classique is the best quality and value. 

Offline wordsthatrhyme

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 07:59:24 AM »
Can you ask some of your skating buddies if you might just try on their skates, to get a feel for what brand/size you might be?  It might save a whole lot of searching around if you can eliminate some brands out of the box.

If I had any skating buddies who aren't starting off with me, I would ask.
Otherwise, I'd just be asking random strangers, and no one wants that. :D

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 08:33:29 AM »
Just to be contrary, I can say that I spent my first year of group lessons in a pair of 20-year-old vinyl skates from Sears and learned up to waltz jumps in them without an injury.  However, I was only 28, fairly fit and underweight for my height.  I'd also done pond skating as a kid and my ankles were fairly strong.  It wasn't until I started private lessons that the coach recommended I get "real" skates.  My next pair were Oberhamer Silvers and I kept them for 16 years, through freestyle and figures, skating four to six hours a week year round.  By then Oberhamer was out of business and I moved to Riedell Silvers.

Personally I would rather underboot than overboot.  I don't know the Jackson line at all, but the fact is, you're not going to progress if the skates aren't comfortable or hurt your feet, no matter how much support they have or don't have.  So get something you can afford that fits and see how they last for you.

I will say though, that if you're balking at the idea of spending $150 on skates now, you're probably going to have real issues with costs later on down the road.  Skating is expensive.  Period.  It doesn't get cheaper down the road.  So if you think that $150 is too much now, on top of lessons and ice time, then maybe you might want to look into something else as a weight-loss plan.   

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 09:44:44 AM »
I think underbooting makes sense when the skater is still growing, petite or slim.  For adults and tall/heavy skaters, slightly overbooting works better.  The stiffness guides (imo) are relevant for young/small skaters; adults and larger skaters have to step up in stiffness to get the same support.  Just mho.

ITA about good skates being worth the investment, although I do think all good brands are overpriced.  That's why these companies are still in business after all these years, I guess.  I've inspected the cheap vinyl skates, hoping that some will suffice for young beginners.  I've never found any with the support and blade needed to do one-foot turns and crossovers well.

I once read a quote that someone posted: "Buy cheap, buy twice."  Skates are the ONLY required piece of equipment for this sport.  That's likely why the mfgs feel justified in charging so much.  More importantly, if you're investing in ice time and lessons, good skates make perfect sense.  They last long enough to let the skater progress quickly without developing bad habits.  (Such as knock-kneed three turns, toe stroking and fear of spin entries.)

Offline wordsthatrhyme

• Designated Spinner
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 10:21:56 AM »
I will say though, that if you're balking at the idea of spending $150 on skates now, you're probably going to have real issues with costs later on down the road.  Skating is expensive.  Period.  It doesn't get cheaper down the road.  So if you think that $150 is too much now, on top of lessons and ice time, then maybe you might want to look into something else as a weight-loss plan.

I'm only set on not paying too much for skates right now because I don't have a job. I have a certain amount of money that isn't going to increase, so I'm trying to make it last while I indulge once in a while. And I am a beginner. I don't have any skills yet. I'm not training for a performance, and I don't want to spend a whole lot of money on a pair of skates that I'm going to have to upgrade faster than most people. When I get a job, probably during winter break from my university, I'll be happier to spend more money. :)

I'm not doing this for weight-loss. I'm eating healthy and going to a gym for weight-loss.
Ice skating is just for fun, something for my friends and I to do to once or twice a week.
We might get more serious about it as we progress, but that's all it is right now.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 06:00:18 PM »

I don't remember which pair I had--I bought them in 2002.  I got a good year's worth of skating out of them.  It's likely what you'll get because your feet will change as you start losing weight/gaining muscle mass. It's inevitable and while I was a little upset that I had to put out a little more money on another pair, it was for a good reason.  It's also a good way to find out if a particular brand is suited to your feet without spending a ton of money. If you get a year out of them and your feet are miserable, then you know you'll have to search for another brand.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2013, 07:30:02 AM »
My main concern is actually your safety. You'd want a skate that will give you proper support. If all you want to do though is to skate around forward, rentals would do. But if you're planning to go to Delta, you're going to need better skates as you progress.

I started LTS in rentals due to budget concerns, too. I told myself I'd only my own skates when I become comfortable doing basic forward stroking. When I got my first pair (Riedell 133, around $150), I finally felt what an edge should feel like, and all other skills became a lot easier than when I was in rentals.

As for your first pair -- it really does help if you go to a pro shop to get a proper fit. I was lucky that my Riedell 133's were okay. That pair lasted me about a year, and then I switched to Jacksons. Jacksons turned out to be a better brand for me, but Riedell was okay.