You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Upgrading blades on Mystiques  (Read 2949 times)

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
Upgrading blades on Mystiques
« on: August 15, 2013, 03:06:59 PM »
Hey, I have a question about this. I have Jackson Mystiques, and have been told I'll probably need to replace the blade in the near future (working on waltz jumps and bunny hops etc). The blades are screwed in, so can I just swap to new, different blades? I'm thinking Coronation Aces as a friend recommended them and put them on her skates that are a different brand but similar level. Anyone know if the holes will line up OK or will I need to drill new ones?

Mod note: thread split from another topic
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Upgrading blades on Mystiques
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 03:15:20 PM »
Mystiques are beginner skates, I wouldn't spend time upgrading the blade only; you should upgrade the boot as well.

The Mystique soles are PVC. Most (but not all) skate techs won't do blade adjustments or replacements on that material.  It's too easy to strip the screw holes and end up with soles that can't hold onto a blade.

You'd be better off upgrading to a Classique skate set, which has an appropriate amount of support for starting singles and a good beginner freestyle blade.  That model also has a PVC sole, so you can't upgrade the blade, but the stock blade isn't bad.  The Coronation Aces or MK Pros (same thing, basically) are better blades for freestyle.

If you really want a higher-level blade, you'll need an all-leather skate like the Jackson Freestyle.  They're more expensive as a result, but they have more support, can handle blade adjustments, and you can buy Freestyles "boot only" and choose your own blade instead of the stock blade.  (Which is okay, but Coronation Aces are better, imo.  And more expensive.)  Some shops charge a fee for blade mounting, so ask for all the costs and write them down!

ETA: never assume the holes will line up on different blades.  Even if it's the same model and size, there are variations in the hole placement, so you can end up with a warped blade when trying to reuse holes.  Always plug the old holes and drill new ones when changing blades.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 03:35:15 PM »
I just wrote out a long reply and lost it, but basically I agree with what figurespins said - the stock blade on the Classique is the Mirage which is just fine for low level freestyle, through all single jumps.  There's really no need to expect that you need "more" blade than that while learning.  Coro ace's would still be appropriate, but it's more that they're certainly not a requirement, and you shouldn't feel obligated to buy $200 blades.

The Elle may also be another all-leather option that is a not as stiff as the Freestyle, you can order them boot only and mount whatever blades you wanted to those or stay with the stock blade (still the Mirage).

Odds are good that if you've either outskated or used up the blades on your Mystiques that it's time for new skates.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 03:39:39 PM »
What Figurespins said.

But if you're heavy or an aggressive skater, you might want to consider the JAckson Competitors. You can buy them with the Aspire blade as a set, and the website shows you can still get them as a standalone boot. They have leather soles so they're a step up from the other recreational skates. Competitors are a tiny bit stiffer than Freestyles and the Elle. Mine have had first Mirage's and now MK Pros so easy peasy swapping blades.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 03:50:02 PM »
Ah OK, think I'll hold on and get a complete new set of skates then :) I'm just going on what one skate tech told me, which was that I'd need new blades, unless my skates start breaking down, which they're showing no signs of even after 9 months of weekly use by a 170lb woman...

He recommended the Artiste next, but I think that'd be a little pointless in terms of where I'll be at when the time comes. He did also recommend some blades that I could swap myself (he runs a shop at the other end of the country but is recommended by my coach for advice), sadly I can't remember the names of the blades he suggested.

https://www.kinziescloset.com/Compare_Ice_Skates.html This site suggests I should be in the Classique now.

Urgh, this is so confusing!
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 04:16:33 PM »
Personally I think the "upgrade" from the Mystique to the Artiste is negligible - basically at this point if you are going to look at new skates, I'd strongly suggest moving up to an all leather boot (Elle, Freestyle, or Competitor) since the leather sole gives you more options later on if you do end up "using up" the blade before you need new boots.  It's easier to remount blades on leather soles since the old holes can be plugged, which cannot be as easily done with PVC (which is why most skate techs won't mess with blades on PVC soles).  All you have to do is really figure out what stiffness you need, and Jackson has a decent range now, until about a year ago the Freestyles were the lowest all leather boot and sometimes "too much" boot for some skaters, so it's nice that the softer Elle is an option.  My daughter (Basic 6, working on bunny hops) wears the Elle and they are very nice boots.

The fact that your current boots have lasted so well only suggests you are gentle on your skates or simply skating less than average - weight is only one factor among many when it comes to boot life :)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 07:56:53 AM »
Hmm, the picks on the Mystiques seem small...

I have the Freestyle/Mirage combo. For waltz jumps and bunny hops, the Mirage blade is more than enough -- it can actually be used for single jumps, although Coro Aces are better in that respect. If you're going to upgrade now, I suggest going for the Classique or Elle. However, once you find your Mystiques breaking down due to creases, the stiffer Freestyle or Competitor might be the better option. :)

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 10:44:14 AM »
I'm on the Mirage and I'm jumping through lutz. I mean, I am currently looking to buy new blades, but I was able to get that far on the blade.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline sk8time

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2013, 10:55:03 AM »
I'll reinforce the comments of others regarding the risks of trying to work with the blades on Mystiques.  A well-meaning skate store person once tried to help us save money on the analogous boy's skates - after he adjusted the blade position, it was quite a mess getting them stable enough for the boy to skate on.  The local coaches eyes grew very large on seeing what they'd done with the skates.

It was a learning experience, but we should have just spent the money to go up a level to freestyles.