You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Best skates for my level/feet width?  (Read 7230 times)

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
Best skates for my level/feet width?
« on: August 13, 2013, 11:56:23 AM »
Hi everyone--

I am about 4 months into group lessons (starting ISI Beta in September) and I'd like to buy some skates of my own. I've been skating about 3 hours a week (including a 30-minute lesson) so far.

I got preliminary measurements by my rink's Riedell dealer (my rink only offers Riedell), who said my feet are way too wide for women's skates. (8 3/4 long, 9 1/4 wide). She suggested I could get customs ($60 extra, so I really don't want to do that) or mens' skates, which would fit.

Are there any other brands that I could try that would possibly fit? I've heard Jacksons fit wide feet better.

I'd like to get a pair that I can use throughout ISI Basic Skills (Beta--Delta) and into early/bronze Freestyle or Ice Dance. I am in my late teens and my feet are no longer growing.

What skates would you recommend for my goals? I'd like to keep the price relatively low, but would still like to get a quality pair. I was recommended Riedell 255 or 133, but am open to other brands...

Thanks in advance! :D
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Re: Best skates for my level/feet width?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 12:23:46 PM »
My feet are on the wider side and my first pair of skates were (are) Jackson Freestyles. I got them when I was in USFS adult 1 and did not feel like they were too much boot for that level. They have also taken me through bronze free skate and pre-bronze dance as well.

One thing to be aware of is that Jackson boots have a lot of heat moldable padding which compresses quite a bit as you break the skates in so if you do get Jackson boots, you want them to feel quite snug when you're trying them on. Finding someone who fits them is the best idea.

The Freestyle boot is often sold as a boot/blade combination and is quite economical.

Best of luck on finding a good boot!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 01:19:53 PM »
Jacksons do fit a wider or fuller volume foot better than most other brands, but looking at your measurements you may be out of the stock width range (hard to say for sure, unless you can try some on, measurements don't always translate exactly to widths).  A semi-custom (or modified stock) boot is probably going to be the best solution for you no matter which brand you choose.  $60 may seem like a lot, but in the long run it's a bargain if it means you'll get a pair of skates that actually fit reasonably well compared to settling for something that is either too narrow or too long and having to buy another pair to fix fit issues.

The 255 and 133 are very similar boots, it really comes down to what your budget is (the 255 costs more because it's all leather, and it is also a little stiffer).  Most adults at my rink seem to start in the 133's and do very well with them, then either move into the 255's if Riedells work well for their feet, or they look into SP Teri or Harlick if they weren't happy with the 133's.  Jacksons are not popular at my rink since no one nearby sells them.  The Jackson Freestyle is a good option for a beginning adult and will last a while... I would say it's similar to the 255 in construction/stiffness.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 01:29:38 PM »
Thanks, sarahspins and alejeather!

Sarah--would you say that the 133 could last to around the same level as the 255? (Assuming I got a custom or mens' size and it fit well.) Is it just a difference in material?

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 02:16:44 PM »
Just a quick clarification on the measurements you provided, is the width straight out width or is it circumference of the ball of your foot?
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 02:56:18 PM »
It could, but it's hard to say for sure since there are so many factors at play.  Fit is what is really more important than trying to gauge how long you think a pair of boots will last you - because at this point you just can't say.  Once you've been through your first pair of boots and are looking at your second (and beyond) it's easier to make those kinds of guesses because you can compare new vs old and make any changes (in terms of boot level) that are deemed necessary.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:00:52 PM »
Thanks, Sarah. :D

alejeather--It is ball circumference....

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 03:59:01 PM »
It is ball circumference....

good to know!! :)  best of luck on fitting, and I agree that in the long run good fit is the most important for your technical progress and physical wellness.

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »
As someone who is out of Jackson stock width (I'm an E) I can attest to them being wonderful even if you have to take the chance on ordering customs to get the right width.

I'm going on 2.5 years in my boots, skating 8-10 hours a week the first two years in them, and they're just now breaking down.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 05:29:11 PM »
Just a quick clarification on the measurements you provided, is the width straight out width or is it circumference of the ball of your foot?

Thank you for bringing this up. The OPs foot of 8 3/4 lon 9 1/4 inch wide isn't a foot, it's a paddle. Until you mentioned circumference, I couldn't figure it out. I have a pair of men's boots from a friend that are 9 1/2 wide.,but  he's 6'3" and 280 lbs.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 05:38:54 PM »
As someone who is out of Jackson stock width (I'm an E) I can attest to them being wonderful even if you have to take the chance on ordering customs to get the right width.

I'm going on 2.5 years in my boots, skating 8-10 hours a week the first two years in them, and they're just now breaking down.

davincisop--What model of Jacksons are these? How much extra was the customization?

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2013, 05:56:40 PM »
I think she has the Elite Supreme in the lowest stiffness (which is 69 I think?).  I also wear the Elite Supreme in an E width (with a B heel) and I paid $75 in May of last year for that modification.  2 1/2 years before I got those, ordering a split width had been $50 (in 2009), but I am not certain what the cost currently is.  My boots are the 90 stiffness and I've been wearing them for close to 11 months now (I didn't buy blades until after I already had my boots, then I was getting ready to test so they both just sat for a few months) and they have no signs of breaking down.  They were super easy to break in and aren't too stiff for me.

I should also add that you can contact Jackson by email and they are very helpful :)

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »
I'll keep that in mind--thanks. :)

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 07:30:29 PM »
Sarahspins is right, elite supreme. When I got mine I think customization was $50, but I only had the front area customized, so that could have caused Sarahspins' higher cost.

I can't remember if I got them at 69 or 85. But 2.5 years later with a lot of skating they're just now breaking down. Break in time was almost nonexistent for me. But I will be looking into buying a new pair in the near future.

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 11:15:45 PM »
Sarahspins is right, elite supreme. When I got mine I think customization was $50, but I only had the front area customized, so that could have caused Sarahspins' higher cost.

No, my old boots were ordered in the same size, so it was essentially the same exact modification (and based on Jackson's sizing is only a 2 width difference from stock - any more would be a higher fee I think).  I was told the fee had changed, and I did ask since it had been just $50 before.  I was okay with it, my total was still well under any other retailer's price.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 02:12:21 AM »
The custom boots sound great, but at this point I think my budget would only allow stock boots. :(

What do you think about a Riedell Mens' boot? According to the size charts, they would fit in both width and length (in a ladies' boot, I'd be a 4 length, 8 width). Aside from the color difference, would there be any problems (assuming they fit well)?

Has anyone had experience doing this?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 04:36:46 AM »
Waltzjump is in ISI Beta, so I suspect anything over about Jackson Freestyle might be way too stiff.

I started in men's boots for the reason waltzjump is considering it; I did not fit into any standard ladies' boots of any width.  To keep costs down, waltzjump, could you maybe look into secondhand men's wide boots?  You might end up with a better-fitting boot for the same money as you'd pay for an ill-fitting ladies' boot.  If you do go down the secondhand route, make sure someone competent looks over the boots for you - you don't want to buy something completely broken down (as opposed to broken in), or a lemon with a twisted sole etc.

I do agree about Jackson split widths being awesome, though; my size 9 Jacksons were made with A width heel and E width ball, which I promptly had bumped out to an F width.  That split cost 3 modifications and I think added ~$200 over the base cost of the boot.  The boots are now 3 years old, and going strong.  (A good thing, considering what I paid for them!)  The problem is that ease of learning in this sport really does depends on well-fitted boots, and so many of us don't have the dainty feet the bootmakers cater for.  ;)

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 11:19:11 AM »
Aside from the color difference, would there be any problems (assuming they fit well)?

Not at all.. there are several ladies who wear black skates at my rink, including a coach. 

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 11:36:36 AM »
Another person with wide feet here too! ;)

If you do go with the Riedells in a mens wide size it looks like you would have to go with the 255. According to the Riedell website as the 133 only comes in the mens medium width (starting at US size 4). If the Riedell mens wide fit you well go for it! One of our female coaches always wears black mens boots!

Did you try any of the men's boots on? In stock boots the heel width increases along with the toe width so that is something to be aware of as your heel needs to fit well too. The wider the toe width, the wider the heel. Different brands heels and toe areas fit differently though.

I had problems finding something to fit me as I have a wide foot at the toes but a narrow one at the heel. I ended up getting Riedells in E toe width, B heel. That was termed a "special" order as only 1 thing was changed from a standard stock size (the toe width) and nowhere near as expensive as premium (3 changes) or custom (whatever you want). It was approx £60 on top of the stock price (UK prices so prob higher than the US). Took a few weeks to be made and shipped though. I love them - the difference correctly sized, well fitting, non cramp inducing skates has made to my skating was worth every single penny! ;)

Good luck getting something to fit!

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 04:12:49 PM »
aussieskater--I'm glad to know someone else has used mens' boots! I looked into secondhand but unfortunately my rink didn't have much available in the size I need.

sarahspins--That's good to know!

taka--I haven't really gotten to try them on yet but hope to soon. I will keep the heel width thing in mind; thanks!

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2013, 02:02:07 AM »
I just went to my rink's Riedell dealer for a second fitting. She recommended I go with a mens' Riedell 121 (this was one of the only ones she could get in a wide, and she was worried about 255s being a bit stiff for now). So I did.

They'll be in in about a week..hoping they're a great fit (literally and figuratively). :) They'll definitely feel better than the rentals....

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 02:11:16 AM »
My Reidell 435ts are the men's boot that I ordered in white leather. It's worked great for my wide feet.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 02:34:00 AM »
My Reidell 435ts are the men's boot that I ordered in white leather. It's worked great for my wide feet.

Good to know! :)

Offline sarahspins

• Swizzle Royalty
  • CER-C
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 02:42:24 AM »
She recommended I go with a mens' Riedell 121 (this was one of the only ones she could get in a wide, and she was worried about 255s being a bit stiff for now). So I did.

AFIAK the 121 isn't available in a wide width for men (or boys).   I would definitely verify that they are actually wide and not medium width when they come in. 

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2013, 12:48:48 PM »
I will definitely do that, sarahspins.