You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Help, what exactly do I need?  (Read 4163 times)

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
Help, what exactly do I need?
« on: July 17, 2013, 04:30:40 PM »
OK, as I posted about on another thread, my rink is holding a mini exhibition/competition for it's skaters, basically as it's a new rink and the coaches want us all to get used to how things run at a competition while in the security of our own rink.

It's in November, and I've been asked to pick my music already. We're all at various levels of LTS, but as most of us have private lessons, our coach has introduced things like waltz jumps when it's felt we're ready. So I currently have a baby waltz jump in my repertoire, although I need to work on getting it away from the wall...

Anyway, getting sidetracked there, as far as I can tell, I need to sort out:

Music
Something to wear.

I've got some ideas for music (as it's not an "official" competition, we can have lyrics) so do I just burn them to CD to take to my next lesson? How do you generally put together a programme?

Then there's the clothing issue. I do not want to spend a whole heap of money at the moment, but I do want to feel pretty out on the ice, and for this to feel special. Could I wear a simple, matching leotard and skirt, and maybe jazz it up with some crystals? I've also been toying with the idea of over the boot tights, but I'm not sure yet.

Help, I'm so hopeless at this! 
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
Re: Help, what exactly do I need?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 05:08:33 PM »
You're on the right track!  I've always had my coach do my music - she cuts it to the appropriate length and burns to a CD in the proper format.  If I like certain sections of a song, I will tell her, but mostly I let her use her own judgment.   Most coaches give you 3 copies - you want to bring at least one extra copy to your exhibition just in case the music player has trouble with the first one.  My coach has always choreographed my programs, whether for an exhibition or a competition.  If you have ideas, though, you should be able to share them.

The one time I cut my own music, I used Windows Movie Player to cut the sections and put them together (on the timeline).  It wasn't perfect but it was a one-time deal so I didn't want to pay my coach to cut it for me.   It took me a long time to figure it out but eventually I had music on a CD.  There's a special kind of CD you need to buy for music - I think it's CD-R but not positive.  It's where you can only read the CD once you burn to it.  I think a lot of people use a program called Audacity to do their own music but I have no experience with that. 

Your ideas about a leotard and skirt are great.  If you have a dance shop available, they might have some pretty wrap skirts that you could put over a leotard.  And some crystals will help make it feel special.

I hope you have fun!  It's great that you're planning ahead now.  Make sure you wear your outfit at least once before the actual exhibition so you feel comfortable in it.

Over-the-boot tights are a personal preference.  I don't like them myself, but lots of people do.   I had to wear them for one of my programs and it was shocking how quickly they got holes no matter how careful I was. 

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 03:26:24 AM »
Music - maybe pick a few pieces that you think might work and try skating to them. Sometimes you realise a piece is too fast, or doesn't come across well on the rink speakers / music equipment at all. Your coach may have suggestions too and may be able to cut it for you. Does it have to be a particular length?

Programme - Your coach will most likely choreograph it, though if you have any ideas she may be able to work them in too.

Clothing - Are there any 2nd hand skating dresses for sale by anyone around your rink? Yes, a leo + wrap skirt could work quite well. There are lots of "skater dresses" in the shops at the moment too, and you might be lucky and find something pretty in the right length to work as a skating costume. You'd need to wear it over a leo/lycra hotpants/tankini bottoms or similar to cover your modesty if you fall though, as it won't have inbuilt pants like an ordinary skating dress! Whatever you choose, it needs to be comfy enough to move around in and it ideally needs to compliment your music too.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 04:07:57 AM »
Music - if you have ideas burn them on a CD and let your coach listen to them. As it's your first program you may as well have music you enjoy. I find there are tracks of music that I like, but when I hear them played at the rink, they don't work. The sound system does strange things to perfectly good music. Also hearing it at the rink, you'll be able to skate to them and see which one you move best to.

Costume - over boot tights are personal preference. I've had one coach who hated them and another who prefers them as it hides dirty boots. Personally I always wear footed and then overboot as it keeps my legs warmer, but I skate at a cold rink.
In terms of dresses, you should be able to pick something up which doesn't cost you hundreds. Ebay can be very good as can dance stores. In the UK you sometimes have to be clever with your search terms and look for dance wear and not skating wear. There's very little difference once it's a skirted leotard. I would start thinking about what you'd be comfortable wearing now, and then start looking for a costume once you've selected your music. If you have something specific in mind, it may take you a while to find it. Also be aware that dance and skating wear sizes don't run like normal clothes. So while you might normally be a small or medium you can easily be an extra large in skatewear.

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »
Good to know I'm on the right track :)

I can actually do music cuts myself, I have the software and did film production at university so I'm pretty good at dealing with sound files. Just need to make a decision on the track haha!

Didn't know OTB tights were more prone to getting holes, I have a pair of seriously thick Mondor footed tights and thought the OTB ones would be like them - seemingly indestructible. Knowing they're not, makes me less hasty to go and spend money on them.

Edited to add: To any UK ladies, where can I find leotards which offer some support or the ability to wear a bra? I am the owner of a set of 36D's and if they ain't supported properly I'll be at risk of an on-ice wardrobe malfunction! Do you even need a bra with a leotard?

I wish I weren't so clueless!
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

Offline rachelplotkin

• Prerotation Society
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 03:03:36 PM »
I am the owner of a set of 36D's and if they ain't supported properly I'll be at risk of an on-ice wardrobe malfunction! Do you even need a bra with a leotard?

Oh my yes!  Depending on the fit of the leotard your breasts may get flattened a bit but definitely won't be supported :blush:

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 03:19:03 PM »
Just make sure said leotard has wide straps and isn't that low at the back. All dresses and leotards I wear have to go through a bra check procedure. I'm not going out in competition without support. Don't need to be bouncing all over the place.
My coach saw one teenager bounce out of her dress in competition as she wasn't wearing a bra and was wearing some dress with spaghetti straps.

With regards to tights. It depends on the make and model of the tights as to whether you get holes quickly. You can get the thick wooly ones in an o/b version, if that's what you like. Otherwise there are other manufacturers which advertise ladder resistance (but they will get holes if you're doing lots of lunges in my experience).

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 07:14:07 AM »
So, I'm now a third of the way to solving the clothing issue :)

Picked up a lovely plain black skater skirt from a local supermarket's clothing range this morning. It's the perfect length and will go with any colour leotard I choose :)

Putting my music ideas on CD later, ready for Tuesday's lesson, and once we've got the music, I can go ahead and get my leotard.

Woohoo! Progress!

Oh, wait... I've still gotta learn a routine, not just look pretty haha! That'll take a while!

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 02:55:41 PM »
So, I'm all set :)

I picked my music yesterday. I took some ideas to the rink on a CD, and we had a listen. The songs I'd picked were all way too fast for me, so we listened to some stuff in my coach's collection and both agreed on a song called Mexican Corn. It's fun, just fast enough, and the important thing, we can choreograph a programme to it.

We worked on that yesterday in my lesson, so the learning starts now!

I also managed to finish my costume shopping. I knew I wanted a little colour, and having a black skirt meant anything would work. I went to my local dance shop and found a nice red leotard, with quite a low back, but it's OK as I later discovered I have several strapless bras that don't show at the back. I might get some fabric glue and crystals nearer the time, but it looks pretty good already so I may just leave it as it is.

I cannot believe I've agreed to this... I must be crazy!

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 04:27:24 PM »
That's great!  You've made a lot of progress.  Now is time to enjoy the process.  I find learning a new program is a lot of fun.  Frustrating, yes, because when you start you will be too slow for the music but have faith, you'll get there.  It's so much more fun to practice a program than elements by themselves.  I felt like a 'real skater' when I started learning my first program (a duet with another skater - we decided 50% of the people would be watching the other person, which made it less scary, or at least that's how we rationalized it to ourselves). 

Your costume solution sounds lovely!

Offline aussieskater

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 52
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 06:16:11 PM »
I cannot believe I've agreed to this... I must be crazy!

Yep, know that feeling!  You're committed now, so enjoy your moment in the spotlight.  The red and black sounds really nice; that combination generally sings on the ice.

... we decided 50% of the people would be watching the other person, which made it less scary, or at least that's how we rationalized it to ourselves.

Which is why the only public presentations I ever do are synchro - I've managed to convince my brain that I can hide more effectively in a group of 16 ;).

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 04:42:06 AM »
Well done on finding music. Hopefully the experience of choosing things that you liked, and listening to what you coach liked will help with your next program as you're now more aware of the speed of music you want to skate to. Somehow you can't always spot how fast the music is until you're on the ice listening to it.

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 02:30:42 PM »
Thanks everyone! I will try and post a photo of my costume so far sometime. I'm thinking I may go and skate in it in a couple of weeks, once the programme is taking shape, and then see if I want to add anything sparkly to it. I don't think I have the patience or the hand-eye co-ordination haha!

I agree, it was good working out what music works for me. Really, I had no clue, and needed guidance, so it's been an experience. It's been cool seeing what others are skating to, a few TV and movie themes in the mix from what I've seen so far.

Now, to start working on some stretches to prepare for learning spirals...