You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Spinners  (Read 3953 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Spinners
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:37:55 PM »
Anyone got some views on different kinds of spinners?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Re: Spinners
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 02:28:14 PM »
There's one out there from I think Jerry's that is a static spinner, in that it's two plates together and you spin on it but don't move naturally. I had that one for years but never made any good use out of it because it didn't feel natural.

I currently have the spinner that's essentially a plastic board on a rocker and I like it much better. You're forced to get on your correct "edge" because you can feel it when you go too far back. Just be really really careful with this particular one. I had a good backspin going on it once and then I went just a little too far over and suddenly I was on the ground.

Offline Landing~Lutzes

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:41:28 PM »
I have a spinner, but I don't use it for skating...I use it for ballet turns! I am not focusing too much on spins right now in skating (I do pattern dances) and I find that with skating spins, the only thing that helps me is actually doing them...in skates. However, my spinner has helped me get up to 6 pirrouette rotations! :-D So I do love it for that... LOL

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 01:37:37 PM »
Kids have metal plate spinner.  Was very useful for backspin. Had to test a few out to make sure they moved easily.  They used it with heeled shoes to mimick the foot position and balance point of a skate rather than using a flat shoe/socks that would have had them either "flat footed" or having to hold their foot in a slanted position.

Make sure you are in a clear space as falling off the spinner does happen!

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 06:30:36 PM »
There's one out there from I think Jerry's that is a static spinner, in that it's two plates together and you spin on it but don't move naturally. I had that one for years but never made any good use out of it because it didn't feel natural.

I currently have the spinner that's essentially a plastic board on a rocker and I like it much better. You're forced to get on your correct "edge" because you can feel it when you go too far back. Just be really really careful with this particular one. I had a good backspin going on it once and then I went just a little too far over and suddenly I was on the ground.

I have the plastic kind as well and agree with you completely.  You can tell when you are on the wrong edge or too far back.  Love it.
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 06:47:34 PM »
I like my plastic spinner, too. In fact, I owe all of my spins to it. :love:

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 10:26:19 PM »
I have the gold medal spinner and I agree it's not really natural to spinning. It's hard to balance the way you would on a true backspin. I used to practice back spins on it daily and could never get more than 3 revs, I may try a practice spinner.

Offline eillie

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 06:08:16 PM »

Motivated by some of these posts, I also bought a spinner like this and it came in the mail today.  I'm finding it feels quite different from my skate so far, maybe because I haven't figured out yet where to place my foot so that the 'rocker' part of the spinner is where it normally is when I skate.  And definitely beware of getting too deep of an 'edge' on the spinner!  I just had it slip out from under me (on a hard floor) and fell over.  Ow...

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 06:21:13 PM »

Motivated by some of these posts, I also bought a spinner like this and it came in the mail today.  I'm finding it feels quite different from my skate so far, maybe because I haven't figured out yet where to place my foot so that the 'rocker' part of the spinner is where it normally is when I skate.  And definitely beware of getting too deep of an 'edge' on the spinner!  I just had it slip out from under me (on a hard floor) and fell over.  Ow...

It does feel different from real boot and blade but you should be able to tell what edge you're on.  I found it helps me a lot with body position and edge.  Finding the right spot to put my foot so it simulated my blade is the biggest challenge for me.  And not smacking my puppy with my free leg.   :blush:
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline Cloudburst

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 10:07:01 PM »
Have the plastic one as well. It does help you to center the body.

I tried to do a camel spin on it and my shoulder said hi to the ground...  :angel:

Offline HannahLouise

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 05:08:25 PM »
The metal spinner is very good as I find you can pick up greater speed which is more realistic for on ice.

However the plastic spinner you stand on with one foot, I find is more like spinning on the ice as its like standing in a shoe... But, beware! It damages your floors. My parents are now the owners of a beautiful oak flooring with... A scratched circle in the middle of it... Whoops.  :nvm: