You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: skating shirts  (Read 2378 times)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
skating shirts
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:25:02 PM »
I know this sounds similar to the recent "skating tops and gloves" thread, but I thought my question was different enough to warrant a new thread.

I'm hoping to get some new long-sleeved shirts for skating, and I'm looking for recommendations. I prefer thermal tops in pretty colors or stripes - not black, because I wear black pants, but not neon bright either. I'd been buying them at Target and Old Navy, so suffice it to say I'm cheap thrifty, but the size and color selection wasn't great. So I've got about 6 long-sleeved shirts I like for skating, and I skate five days a week in the winter. I get a little tired of the same old ones.

What kinds of shirts do you skate in? Are there any cheaper versions of the Lululemon ones with the thumb holes? (I've been having Lululemon envy ever since another skater took me in there last week.)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: skating shirts
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 09:30:56 PM »
Just look for running tops... Sports Authority, Dick's, etc should usually have a decent variety.  Thumb holes seem to be hit or miss for me, but I've found that LS tops are almost always long enough that I can just cut my own.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:51:31 PM »
Nike and Underarmour stuff is great; the latter can be expensive. BUT underarmour has an outlet in the US online store ... and I am jealous of the prices :(  We buy both brands on 'blow out' type sales and they wear forever.

For LuLu: watch the We Made Too Much section on their website; you can get deals.  Yes, it's expensive, but, we have some LuLu stuff that's over 6 years old, worn constantly, that still look like new.  Looking at the cost per use, it's cheaper than if I'd bought cheaper stuff that fell apart/wore out in a year.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 10:14:32 PM »
I like this site. $$$$

http://www.teamestrogen.com/

And here $$$

http://athleta.gap.com/

and here $$$
http://www.skirtsports.com/shop/tops.cfm

Mainly because I like a more tailored look than Columbia---but I have tons of Columbia from Target. Now that I've started losing weight, I've decided to buy an occasional stylish piece that doesn't look like anyone else's stuff.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:37:18 PM »
Because I already wear arm warmers (with thumb holes hidden under the wrist guards), I could use t-shirts all year around, so pretty much half of the summer wardrobe is available :D

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 11:16:56 PM »
No advice because I just wear whatever t shirt I have on for the day but I will second the recommendation for Lululemon.  All my Lulu pants are old and as good as the day I bought them.  Love that store.

Offline Orianna2000

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 22
    • Yesterday's Thimble
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 08:41:01 AM »
I don't know where you live, but if you can find an outlet mall, check the "sneaker" stores: Nike, New Balance, etc. They might not have a huge selection, but you can find some very nice athletic tops. Also look at stores like Marshall's and Ross, if you have them. Kohl's carries nice athletic clothing, as well. (Their Vera Wang leggings aren't in the athletic department, but they are fantastic. Thick and warm, a variety of colors, and a reasonable price, especially if you wait for a sale and have a coupon. Just be sure and order a size larger than you normally wear; they run small.)

Granted, I can only skate once or twice a week, but until just recently, I only had one skating outfit: charcoal gray leggings from Old Navy, black skating skirt from Target, a sleeveless athletic top with built-in sports bra from Target, a generic aqua long-sleeved shirt that I've had for years, and an turquoise athletic jacket from Kohl's, along with skating tights, gloves, and a winter headband. Just recently, I acquired a proper sports bra from the Nike outlet, a thermal long-sleeved shirt from New Balance, leggings from Kohl's, and a skating jacket from Marshall's. I also bought some knit jersey from Fabric.com and plan to sew a copy of my skating skirt, so I'll have one in gray to match the rest of my outfit (which is gray and turquoise).

Personally, I love bright colors for my skating tops, because it makes it easier for other skaters to see me on the ice. I don't want to get run over! I love it when the other skaters wear bold colors instead of black, white, or gray, because I notice them out of the corner of my eye a lot quicker, and can get out of their way. I figure the reverse must be true, as well, so I try to always wear a brightly colored skating jacket.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 12:47:14 PM »
Thanks for all your suggestions! I went to Dick's and Lululemon yesterday. Dick's really didn't have much for long-sleeve shirts (obviously the wrong time of year) but I fell in love with a $90 purple Under Armour jacket, which is exactly what I don't need  :) I also loved this shirt (http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-tops/Run-Swiftly-Tech-Long-Sleeve-Mesh?cc=4344&skuId=3440954&catId=uswwearit4) at Lulu.

Unfortunately, things are tight, and it's really hard to see spending $68 on a single shirt for skating right now. I realize it's smarter in the long run to buy nice stuff that lasts forever, so maybe I'll put off buying anything until I can get something nice.

There aren't any outlet stores near me, but I'm hoping to get to some next month.