You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: heat molding?  (Read 1312 times)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
heat molding?
« on: April 19, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »
I'm taking a road trip today to pick up my new Jackson Premieres (yay, but I won't be skating in them until after my competition next weekend) and the pro shop says they will heat mold them. I've had two pairs of Freestyles and never had them heat molded. My coach said if they don't bother me as they are, to not do it.

I've had some pain in the widest part of my foot before, but it comes and goes and has never been unbearable. Both of my old pairs broke down in nine months but I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with them not being molded.

What do you all think? And is this something pro shops typically charge extra for?

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: heat molding?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 11:38:56 AM »
Never was charged a separate fee for it!  I'd go for it - they were made with the intent of heat molding.  If that doesn't help the width issue, I'd get them punched as well.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 11:48:41 AM »
It's normally included if you bought the boots at the pro shop.. if you brought them in then they'd charge you.

Personally, I'd go ahead and do it just because the premiere's are going to be a little stiffer than your old boots.. it will make the break-in process much easier if your foot fits the boot perfectly from the start.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 09:59:04 PM »
Thanks. I had pretty much decided I was going to do it, but the only person working in the pro shop when I picked up my skates didn't seem like he'd know what he was doing. Even though I'd called ahead and was told there would be someone there who was a Jackson expert. Anyway, we have someone at my rink who can do it; I'll just have to wait a few days.