You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Riedell quality going downhill?  (Read 1743 times)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
Riedell quality going downhill?
« on: March 23, 2012, 07:42:01 PM »
I've been warned by my coach and a couple of other skaters that Riedells have "gone downhill" in terms of quality and not to buy them. One skater had a fairly high-level Riedell boot that, within a couple of months of purchasing, she could actually bend the top part of the boot back and forth as easily as a piece of cardboard. She contacted Riedell and said they were really unhelpful, although I think after lots of back and forth they replaced her skates. Another skater's eyelet ripped.

I'm making a trip up to a pro shop in a couple of weeks to get new skates. I'm pretty sure I'll end up with Jacksons since I've always worn those but wanted to check here first in case they recommend Riedells.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
Re: Riedell quality going downhill?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 08:04:32 PM »
I personally have been very happy with Riedell customer service.  They really went above and beyond in helping me with my boot and trying various solutions, which ultimately worked. 
I have a Riedell 875 boot that appears very well made. 

Offline JHarer

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 08:27:18 PM »
I bought my Riedell 435TS in August and had great customer service from Riedell directly. The boot is very well made. I have no complaints. I love my Riedells.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 09:11:50 PM »
Never heard any issues...we are at two clubs, between them about 1200 members ; riedell has about 75 to 80 percent of the skaters.  More and more switching due to the excellent quality of the boots.  The only two people that I know of who had problems were two skaters who overrode the fitter and insisted on the wrong size...which caused problems when they started to try to force the fit by trying to do multiple punches and stretches. Once they were in the right size, no more problems.

We have the 133ts and the 1500s...used to have the 875s. 

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 10:59:26 PM »
Love Riedells.  Got them last summer and they still look new after learning doubles all year.  Our skate shop is very careful and checks out all orders.  They have too much to lose to sell products that make skaters unhappy. The skate sells all the big brands but Riedells are the most popular for non custom skates.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 11:24:18 PM »
I think the correct boot for the correct level as well as correct size/fit does a lot to avoid the "this brand is going downhill" rumors... any boot that is too soft for a skater or that doesn't fit well is not going to perform as well as it could.