You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ice Fly Boots and MK Revolution Blades.  (Read 2444 times)

Offline coachdarren

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Ice Fly Boots and MK Revolution Blades.
« on: October 18, 2014, 09:19:53 PM »
Hi all,

I recently got fitted for one of the new Edea Ice Fly boots. I was planning on getting the Phantom Revolution blades too, but my skate technician warned me that it would take a very long time, apparently there had been some production issues regarding the blades with Revolution technology. Does anyone on here have any information on this subject, as I though the new blades would be very popular (I see them everywhere!).  As a coach, I am no longer practicing any of my advanced skills (jumps, spins). Would the Ice Fly boots be hard for me to break in? I've tried a pair on and they're really comfortable!

Thanks,

Darren

Offline OmegaGMT

• Ice Warrior
Re: Ice Fly Boots and MK Revolution Blades.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 07:59:48 AM »
we are in the same boat looking for strong and lighter blades - does anyone have any info on the Wilson production of revolution tech
Unless the skate guards are 130cm long it is best the shoes say on

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 05:19:59 PM »
I have Ice Fly, but with Jackson Ultima Matrix Elite blades.  I love my blades, and have loved them from the start.   They run fast and sure.

I can not say that I am "in love" with my Edea skates, nor that they are the best thing since the invention of the wheel.   I was not able to do my program in them, the very first day I owned them (reports of young skaters doing just great).  It took me a week  My first month, I was in extremely bad pain & cramping.  Edeas do not stretch out like a leather boot.   They are what they are, until you take a blow dryer to them.  I had to stretch out, then they got a little more comfortable.  They did not give me enough arch support, so I had to get custom orthotics (several hundred dollars more).   Now, I like my skates.  I don't love them.   I am 2 months into them, and finally about where I was when I left my old skates.  I think children/young skaters can more easily transition to Edeas.  Older skaters, (me, I'm mid-40s) it's going to mess alot with your muscle memory and balance points.   These skates put you more forward, so camel spins really got on the toe quickly.    What's that old saying, "You can't teach an old dog, new tricks."  You can, but it's going to take a few extra months.  The past few days, I'm finally doing a good, 5 rotation camel with small circles.   Now, that i am more used to this height, I probably wouldn't switch back again to the regular heel height. 

I assume you are a male.   The boot fitter I worked with wouldn't put men in the Ice Fly.  They broke them down too quickly.   He put men in the Concerto, which is actually a stronger skate. 

Offline EricaDer

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 02:09:03 PM »
The thing with Ice Fly is that IF they're shaped right for your feet, AND you are able to adjust to the looser feeling ankle, THEN you have a strong likelihood of liking them (my daughter will never wear anything else, barring growth changes to her feet that require switching brands).  Edeas are a love/hate kind of thing, at least with the skaters I know who have them.  My DD had zero break in time and her skating has improved - she and Ice Fly are like peas and carrots.  But I've known other skaters who never got a proper fit in them, and had to change brands.  Edeas don't have the same modification options as traditional boots, so they're typically either right for your feet, or wrong for them.  They also have a higher heel, which I can see causing cramping and other problems if that's not the right shape for your feet (DD is very flat footed, with a narrow heel, and the Ice Fly has not required any mods nor orthotics, for whatever that's worth).  She's one of the younger, smaller kids at our rink wearing this boot, and has done great in them.     

Offline sng

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 01:26:39 AM »
Just got my Edea Ice Fly's today! Its very comfortable off the ice, but when i'm skating its painful! I guess there's a break in time on these skates.

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 06:03:07 PM »
There is no "breaking in" of the Edeas.  The boot composite does not change, until you heat it with a hair dryer and punch it out where it needs.   Get with your Edea fitter.

My Edeas were comfortable in the store, but on the ice after 10 minutes, I cramped & cramped & cramped.   It was lactic acid build up caused by my foot muscles over working & them not fitting 100% right.  I had to stretch out the ball area to make the Edeas wider. They were more comfortable.  Then, I had to bump out more for different bone bumps.  Then, I got custom orthotics to fit my feet to support the arches.   Then, bump out more on one bump.  And, finally two bunga ankle sleeves because I don't like a loose feeling boot.   Now, I am 120% love my Edeas.