You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Skating dreams  (Read 1786 times)

Offline axelwylie

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 131
  • Passed Adult Gold Freestyle - Jan 2014
Skating dreams
« on: December 28, 2013, 07:08:45 AM »
Anybody else regularly have skating dreams? I am constantly doing doubles and triples in my dreams. Sometimes the dreams are so vivid and seem so real!

Just this week I had dreamt that I landed a clean double axel and could actually feel the tightness of the rotation. When I skated yesterday, I actually felt a similar rotation (in a single axel).

Do you have dreams that translate into your skating?
Join my Skating Fridays blog posts at www.eva-bakes.com

Offline Cush

• Traveling in a Synchro Circle
  • Total GOE: 7
Re: Skating dreams
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »
 I am always dreaming of skating. The dreams never stay anywhere close to reality though. Typically I am doing moves WAY beyond my current capability. I suppose it keeps me motivated.  ;D

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 12:15:44 PM »
I do too!! I thought I was the only one lol :) I don't have them often, or maybe I do and I just don't remember them. But in my dreams I'm always doing perfect doubles lol and I can feel them as though they're effortless, this definitely doesn't always translate over to my real life skating though!! But I have tried off ice jumps a couple times after I've had these vivid dreams and it has sometimes seemed to help me, or so I think :) I really think it's part confidence that I've had that "feeling" of being able to execute these jumps so easily.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 04:02:29 PM »
This is a constant thing for me.
I try to take the feeling I have my in  my dreams and replicate them on the ice; Sometimes It works and sometimes it doesnt
Honestly, I do think it  that dreaming about skating does make a differences. I think it works a bit like your subconcious is thinking about what you are suppose to be doing and then transferring it into your muscles memory.

A few weeks ago I started thinking and also dreaming about what a tight and stable air position was like and out of the blue, my ankles are constantly crossed, my arms tucked in over my right side and a strong back. My coach actually complimented on the fact that all my jumps are looking prettier and more stable now.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »
I often dream of skating.  I often dream my brother and I are competing again, we competed through our teens together, and I am concerned with our lack of practice. 

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 04:55:32 PM »
I try to take the feeling I have my in  my dreams and replicate them on the ice; Sometimes It works and sometimes it doesnt
I totally agree!

I've also had my fair share of skating nightmares, mostly minor or ridiculous. Plenty of dreams about sleeping through lessons.

Before my pre-bronze moves test, I had a dream that I was made to do the waltz eight on gravel. And I had to do the consecutive edges across the floor of my childhood bedroom, which was strewn with sweatshirts and bookbags and things. I kept starting, and then asking to stop so I could remove something that was lying in the way on the ground. At first the judges were accommodating but they lost patience after it happened two or three times.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.