You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: New Rink + New Skates = Tears  (Read 2578 times)

Offline lovemyskater

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
New Rink + New Skates = Tears
« on: January 08, 2014, 08:23:45 PM »
Well, the kiddo (DD, 8) had her first lesson today at the new rink.  We were able to get her some used skates (very gently used Jackson Classiques) from the SD that she had on consignment.  Her first 30 mins on the ice was a little rough.  Lots of falls, but she got back up and kept going.

It was hard for her to communicate with us because this rink has the glass on the boards, I *think* I am going to sit in the hockey area from now on, so she can talk to me easily.  It seems to make her more comfortable.

Her class has 3 kids, all different levels and 2 instructors.  So she got a lot of individual attention, which was great.  They really took the time to see where she is at, and work with her.  She is a very VERY sensitive child and really doesn't like being corrected, or as she says "criticized".  This is a trait that we are working on at home.  And I had explained that there would be a lot of that if she skated/took lessons. 

Towards the end of the lesson, they made her turn her coat inside out because her hands were in her pockets all the time.  After her lesson, the just melted into me and cried.   :'(  It was one of those times, that you knew she was tired, hurting and it was a little much for her.  So, lots of hugs and reassurance from me, her dad and her coaches later, she didn't skate after practice but over an hour in new skates, on new ice and a lot of falls, I was okay with that.

Told her that she was going back again Friday, no ifs and or buts about it.  Got her some lunch and Tylenol and she was in much better spirits.
We are a new skating family, DD, 8, fell in love during holiday school.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: New Rink + New Skates = Tears
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 09:47:19 PM »
You will find that a lot of rinks will not let you sit in the hockey boxes,

You may enjoy the blog http://xan-boni.blogspot.com/,

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 09:56:41 PM »
You will find that a lot of rinks will not let you sit in the hockey boxes,

You may enjoy the blog http://xan-boni.blogspot.com/,
. Your own new blog is hilarious!  I laughed out loud and had to show DH.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 11:42:08 PM »
lovemyskater,
Adjusting to lessons is hard. I completely understand how your DD feels...it will get better, though. :)

I can tell you're really supportive of her, and from a skater's perspective, I can tell you that's a very encouraging thing. My family has been very supportive of my skating, and it's helped so much.

Best wishes!
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline ~Twinkies~

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 04:38:40 PM »
My DD is also quite sensitive.  We've had lots of frozen tears.  Some days are better than others.  One thing I always did was make her end her skating session with something positive.  If she comes off the ice upset, I send her back on and tell her to do something easy that she knows she's good at.  I want her leaving with a "good taste in her mouth" so that she looks forward to going back, instead of leaving in tears and having that memory follow us home.  Many times I would get her calm, tell her she needed to give me 5 minutes more and she skated another hour once she got her groove back.

I also found that, after the first couple of lessons, I started moving further away in the rink rather than closer.  If I'm in the stands, she's always looking at me and has a hundred excuses to leave the ice - skates too loose/tight, cold hands, lumpy socks, itchy hat - you name it.  If I'm less accessible, she's less distracted by me being there and able to concentrate better on her lesson/practice.

Good luck with the lessons and I hope you are able to watch your DD flourish the way I have.

Offline lovemyskater

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 04:18:39 PM »
She is doing much better.  She's been to 3 lessons, and one public session where she had the ice to herself.  $7 for an hour and a half of private ice time - Amazing.

She was passes to Basic Skills 2 yesterday and is excited about that.  She is much more comfortable on the ice and in her skates.   :D
We are a new skating family, DD, 8, fell in love during holiday school.

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 09:32:32 PM »
She is doing much better.  She's been to 3 lessons, and one public session where she had the ice to herself.  $7 for an hour and a half of private ice time - Amazing.

She was passes to Basic Skills 2 yesterday and is excited about that.  She is much more comfortable on the ice and in her skates.   :D

Great to hear!  :)
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13