You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Starting ice skating as an adult  (Read 26340 times)

Offline adragast

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
    • My experience on ice
Starting ice skating as an adult
« on: March 05, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »
Is it possible to start ice skating as an adult (30-40 for example) and eventually learn double jumps? Single axel? Any possibility to have beautiful spinnings, spirals, etc...?

Basically, I am starting ice skating and I am a bit curious about how far I can go.
New skater starting late, follow my progress here: http://www.squidoo.com/my-experience-on-ice

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Starting ice skating as an adult
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 01:28:17 PM »
It depends on flexibility and effort/training and physical conditioning.  My friend learned in her mid 30's and is a beautiful skater.  She doesn't have an axel, but she has nice single jumps, spirals and spins.

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 01:36:29 PM »
It's not impossible, but, as hopskipjump says, it depends on a lot of factors.  I started when I was 37.  I don't have an axel, but do have all my single jumps.  I think I could have learned it, but switched emphasis to ice dance several years ago.  (Not because I couldn't do freestyle, but because I prefer dance, and I don't have time to train both properly.)

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 02:05:41 PM »
You can certainly have nice spirals and spins. You may not be naturally flexible enough to ever achieve the super high spirals you see on TV. But if you stretch regularly and don't have any hip or knee problems, you can get a very nice spiral above hip level.

Spins seem to be a lot harder for adults than they are for kids (well, everything is harder for us) but again,
with practice, they can be beautiful.

I know a lot of people who started skating as adults and are now working on axels, including me. I don't know anyone who's landed one when they didn't begin skating until adulthood, though I'm sure someone here has. But most of those adults working on them have explanations like, "Well, I was close, and then I got pregnant..." and "Work got really busy so I couldn't skate." So landing an axel isn't impossible but it does take consistent focus that a lot of adults just aren't able to have.

But the axel is just a jump! You can be a beautiful skater without one and a sloppy skater with one.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 02:24:36 PM »
I started taking group lessons at 27, did the group lessons for 5 years, then had to quit for 5 years, but then came back at 37 and started taking private lessons.  I landed my first axel at 38 and my first double salchow a few months later.  I did the splits for the first time at 42, after learning correct stretches from a physical therapist and doing them regularly.  The same year, I mastered the change-edge spiral, Y spiral, fan spiral with forward to backward change of free leg position, and catch foot spiral with foot higher than head level.  I also got my pancake spin that year.  I have yet to do a layback spin, though.  For some reason, my back just doesn't do that! :p   

When I first started, I asked an adult skater how long he'd been taking the group lessons and he said 3 years.  He could do 3-turns, a scratch spin and several of the single jumps. I figured, OK, if I start now, I'll be doing that when I'm 30.  If I don't start now, then I'll still be mucking around like I am now.  So whatever age you are, that's what I would say to you as well! :)

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 6
    • Sarah on Ice: my skating blog
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 03:12:48 PM »
Absolutely! I started a year ago at 32. I'm actually among the youngest adults of my rink's 'regulars' -- there are skaters who began in their 40s and 50s, and they're jumping. I'm not sure if anyone who started as an adult has their axel yet, but there are lots of singles up through lutz and I see axel as an attainable (if far-off) goal.
My blog about learning to skate: http://sarahonice.wordpress.com

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 05:25:38 PM »
I started taking group lessons at 27, did the group lessons for 5 years, then had to quit for 5 years, but then came back at 37 and started taking private lessons.  I landed my first axel at 38 and my first double salchow a few months later.  I did the splits for the first time at 42, after learning correct stretches from a physical therapist and doing them regularly.  The same year, I mastered the change-edge spiral, Y spiral, fan spiral with forward to backward change of free leg position, and catch foot spiral with foot higher than head level.  I also got my pancake spin that year.  I have yet to do a layback spin, though.  For some reason, my back just doesn't do that! :p   

When I first started, I asked an adult skater how long he'd been taking the group lessons and he said 3 years.  He could do 3-turns, a scratch spin and several of the single jumps. I figured, OK, if I start now, I'll be doing that when I'm 30.  If I don't start now, then I'll still be mucking around like I am now.  So whatever age you are, that's what I would say to you as well! :)

This response made me smile...BIG!!

Offline Doubletoe

• Total GOE: 139
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 05:33:32 PM »
This response made me smile...BIG!!

Aw, thanks, Roseyhebert! :)  Are you an adult skater as well?  When did you start skating?  And regardless of how long we've been landing axels and double salchows, they still manage go missing, don't they?  LOL!

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 07:10:42 PM »
Well, I'm in the process of finding out how far an adult male starting out at 37 can go. Lucky for me I've always been really fit and slender and active, so other than some serious working out targeted to skating and stretching I wasn't really needing to get "in shape". I think a high level of fitness helps. That said, I think flexibility is the main thing holding most adult men back. I struggle with it. That and the fear of injury tends to hold back an adult who doesn't want to risk a job-threatening (pay cheque threatening) injury. I know i can't afford a disabling injury as my job is very physically demanding using my feet and hands all day. Just go slow and plug away as much as you can. ;D

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 08:12:38 PM »
I had a coach who flat out told me she'd never seen a student who started skating after 30 get an axel. She had a student who skated as a child then took a pause between 18 and 30 who got an axel, but that girl had been doing jumps before she quit.

'Skated as a child' seems to make a lot of difference for the axel in particular.

If someone ever asks "Did you skate as a child?" That's high praise.

No. one. ever. asks. me. that.  :'(

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
    • Sarah on Ice: my skating blog
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 09:10:59 PM »
'Skated as a child' seems to make a lot of difference for the axel in particular.

I agree that this is perhaps true.

I had a coach who flat out told me she'd never seen a student who started skating after 30 get an axel.

But WHAT. I fully intend to prove her wrong! It... might take a few years but axel and doubles are on the long-term goal list, for sure.
My blog about learning to skate: http://sarahonice.wordpress.com

Offline nicklaszlo

• Total GOE: 221
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 09:40:35 PM »
But if you stretch regularly and don't have any hip or knee problems, you can get a very nice spiral above hip level.

It's not working for me.  I must be doing the stretches wrong.

Offline rosereedy

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 04:32:38 PM »
Aw, thanks, Roseyhebert! :)  Are you an adult skater as well?  When did you start skating?  And regardless of how long we've been landing axels and double salchows, they still manage go missing, don't they?  LOL!

I am an adult skater.  Took 5 years off from 2006-2011.  I skated a lot as a kid, quit when I was 17, came back, quit again, came back quit again, came back, quit again, and now I am back.  Will be retiring at the end of this year from skating.  Moving away and no rink where I am moving. 

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 07:34:37 PM »
How far can someone go when they start at 13? Is it possible to get doubles, let alone triples?  :o

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2013, 07:49:15 PM »
How far can someone go when they start at 13? Is it possible to get doubles, let alone triples?  :o

Johnny weir started at 12, he got pretty far :)
It is unlikely you'll reach the national level starting so late, but with a lot of work, doubles and more are possible.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 08:03:28 PM »

It is unlikely you'll reach the national level starting so late, but with a lot of work, doubles and more are possible.

Reportedly Johnny Weir had a triple lutz by his third week skating in group (then Patricia Hill took notice). That must have been one depressed group class. Just remember, Weir was an A-circuit competitive rider before he took up skating. He would probably have been world class in almost any sport he took up.

And conversely, a lot of kids who start skating as children never get an axel.  So it's probably something of a crap shoot of genetics, time on ice, iron will, and coaching as to how far anyone gets.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 08:12:20 PM »

Don't lose sight of the fact that Weir was already an athlete, having successfully competed in equestrian sports for years.  Plus, his family relocated to support his skating.  It's not like he was an undisciplined rank beginner skating at a mediocre rink.

Unless the 13 year old and his/her family is ready to upend their lives, Weir's story isn't entirely relevant or typical.

I started as a beginner at 16/17 and was landing axels and doubles while going to college, then working  and starting a family.  If you have the time, money, coaching and facilities, you could land doubles or triples.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 08:20:23 PM »
I started as a beginner at 16/17 and was landing axels and doubles while going to college, then working  and starting a family.  If you have the time, money, coaching and facilities, you could land doubles or triples.

What was your skating schedule when you first started? And like what levels required you to repeat it?

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 09:01:27 PM »
Reportedly Johnny Weir had a triple lutz by his third week skating in group

Single axel, not triple lutz

http://www.goldenskate.com/2001/12/weir-jumps-from-show-ring-to-ice-rink/

Also, I think his roller skating experience should not be ignored.  But definitely an atypical case.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2013, 09:04:55 PM »
I didn't take group lessons - the schedule didn't work for me.  I skated, outdoors, 6-8 hrs per week In the winter without lessons and taught myself a bad CW two foot spin.  I hired a coach for a 30 min lesson once a week the second year.  It was a seasonal rink, so I didn't skate year round until the third year.  Once I had a car, I skated 10-12 hours each week and took 45mons of lessons with a former Olympian.  The axel took about two years the doubles longer.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2013, 09:08:22 PM »
Unless the 13 year old and his/her family is ready to upend their lives, Weir's story isn't entirely relevant or typical.

I certainly didn't say it was typical (you'll notice I mentioned it is unlikely to reach the national level starting at that age- it is unlikely to reach the national level starting at ANY age), but clearly, it is possible. 

Having resources, both time, money and natural facility, make the possibilities of success in almost ANYTHING more likely.  Weir was lucky to have all these things.  I have no idea who the anonymous message board poster is.  Perhaps s/he has them too.  (Besides which the question was how far can 'someone' go.  It didn't say how far can "I" go.  There is no way to know how far anyone person can go.  But 'someone'- well, with the right combination of factors, 'someone' could go very far.)

Offline nicklaszlo

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 09:17:30 PM »

He're a perfect example.  This chicagoland skater started at 13, and in this video he demonstrates three triples:

I think he's just joined Holiday on Ice.  My impression is that he has achieved this with a limited budget.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 09:35:53 PM »
I certainly didn't say it was typical (you'll notice I mentioned it is unlikely to reach the national level starting at that age- it is unlikely to reach the national level starting at ANY age), but clearly, it is possible. 

Having resources, both time, money and natural facility, make the possibilities of success in almost ANYTHING more likely.  Weir was lucky to have all these things.  I have no idea who the anonymous message board poster is.  Perhaps s/he has them too.  (Besides which the question was how far can 'someone' go.  It didn't say how far can "I" go.  There is no way to know how far anyone person can go.  But 'someone'- well, with the right combination of factors, 'someone' could go very far.)

I wasn't criticizing your response. Weir is always brought up when a teen goes looking for encouragement.  However, his is far from a typical story.  To get to the top ranks of the sport in a short time, the family does have to upend their lives to support the training.  Skating on its own requires dedication and commitment, but accelerating the timeline requires sacrifice as well.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 11:48:32 PM »
He're a perfect example.  This chicagoland skater started at 13, and in this video he demonstrates three triples:
I think he's just joined Holiday on Ice.  My impression is that he has achieved this with a limited budget.

He is awesome. I used to skate on the same ice with him a lot, probably shortly after he started privates according to the youtube timeline. He was throwing doubles left and right on late night public sessions. Amazing flexibility that puts girls at shame, and super fast and low sit spins. *~SIGH~* So happy for him!!

Reportedly Johnny Weir had a triple lutz by his third week skating in group (then Patricia Hill took notice). That must have been one depressed group class.

I also read somewhere Weir has roller background, but hmmm never heard about the fast track TRIPLE lutz. Lots of reports on axel in first week. But a triple jump?!!! He is a freaking genius for sure.

I had a coach who flat out told me she'd never seen a student who started skating after 30 get an axel.

It's rare but not impossible. Now starting after 30 and accomplish a DOUBLE axel would be huge.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2013, 07:45:31 AM »
Mod note: Several posts discussing a junior (<16 yo) member's location have been removed from this topic.
No harm was intended, but the board has to comply with internet laws.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright