You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Going to watch skate competition tonight just for motivation!  (Read 2078 times)

Offline 1210

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 7
Does anyone else do this?

Lately, I feel like I've hit a plateau with my skating ( *cough lutz cough*  >:( ) and I've been very unmotivated and discouraged. My rink is hold a competition tonight within our club so all the skaters can showcase their programs. And, I'm going to just sit and watch, something I've done before in the past to motivate myself. I suppose watching others perform inspires me :P

How do you motivate yourself? Do you like sitting and watching other skaters perform?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Going to watch skate competition tonight just for motivation!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 08:28:58 PM »
Watching others, especially elites, is very motivating.  Have fun!

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:48:25 PM »
Watching others motivates me, but what really motivates me is getting to talk to everyone at a comp or exhibition and feeling the excitement about skating and progressing. It reminds me that I'm part of a community, and if I keep working at something, it will improve, eventually.

If I'm really feeling unmotivated, I'll ask my coach to teach me something new or goof off with some of the kids. A lot of times when the kids are trying things I would never think to try on my own, like backwards lunges, I"ll jump in and start trying with them. I often find I can do more than I thought, and they're always really encouraging. I started working on backwards shoot-the-ducks that way, and now mine has gotten pretty decent, just from goofing off with the kids.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 12:11:15 AM »
Absolutely! I love watching skating, it's the best motivator.

I love watching everything, from local competition to searching up my favourites on Youtube. In fact I'm bouncing around my room right now having just re-watched Artur Gachinski's "Smooth Criminal" gala.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 08:14:00 AM »
Seeing two adults attempting axels at one competition was huge for me! (I was competing myself, but had already skated so stayed to watch the rest of the adults).

I still don't think I'll ever get an axel (been stuck on loop nearly two years), but it's so inspiring to see really good adult skaters. and plus I get to impress coaches by saying i've seen adults doing axels. Unfortunately neither was landed (one fell, the other two footed the landing), but to have them in their program they must've landed them at some point!

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
Yes, I watched a competition last weekend! I haven't started competing yet, but I have fun watching people skate, and it motivates me.