You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Next Test Date 6-12-12 Bronze  (Read 4499 times)

Offline Adultsk8r509

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 34
    • Adult Figure Skating Over 50
Next Test Date 6-12-12 Bronze
« on: April 19, 2012, 09:24:41 PM »
My rink just posted the next test date. 

I have about 3 weeks before the entry deadline to figure out whether to enter just MIF or be really brave and try the FS.
I mean, other than the money and the potential humiliation and mental setback of failing a test .... Is it wrong to try and skate a test before you zyou can "ace" it?

I have nearly 2 months to finish a program, get over my waltz toe, combo jitters, center the darn backspin, etc ....

I know once I pass this test I will be working on Silver for a long long time!
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
Re: Next Test Date 6-12-12 Bronze
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »
I've heard coaches at my rink speak disparagingly about skaters who test when they're nowhere near ready, and coaches who encourage it. Evidently it really irritates USFS judges (or so my coach claims). But as you said, if you've paid for the test, you've paid for it, and the worst that can happen is you fail it.

But I'm curious why you're so eager to test this quickly? Have you ever entered a competition at pre-bronze? I have skated pre-bronze for two years now and am still trying to pass my bronze MIF. Even though I think I could pass bronze FS fairly easily, there's plenty of challenge for me in pre-bronze. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can go up through lutz with jumps.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 10:20:39 PM »
Evidently it really irritates USFS judges (or so my coach claims).

Judges are volunteers, and the testing fees go to the hosting club. So yeah, they have rights to get frustrated if the testing skater has no realistic chance of passing...

I agree it's difficult to tell how much can be achieved in advance. For *me*, my elements rather come and go. So when I planned for Christmas ice show in September, only consistent elements were considered, maybe even discounting a bit in case something suddenly decides to go on vacation! lol

On the other hand, your coach would have a very good idea about your progress rate!

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 12:04:57 AM »
But I'm curious why you're so eager to test this quickly? Have you ever entered a competition at pre-bronze? I have skated pre-bronze for two years now and am still trying to pass my bronze MIF. Even though I think I could pass bronze FS fairly easily, there's plenty of challenge for me in pre-bronze. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you can go up through lutz with jumps.
I'm. Just wired that way. Short attention span too. It is true I could compete at pre bronze or even skate up for competition...but I am anxious to pass the tests I am able to and then concentrate on learning the next skill set. Believe me, I won't pay for a test I plan on failing.
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 07:32:07 AM »
It looks bad on a coach if they're entering a lot of skaters who aren't ready. Like "Coach thought THAT was acceptable?!"

My coach had her first fail last week, a high level field moves test. I'm hoping I won't be her second fail lol! I'd be much more nervous if she'd had a much higher fail rate (like am I REALLY ready or is she just bored of teaching me the same moves and hoping for the best? ;))

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 07:49:22 AM »
Why don't you ask your coach and make the decision based on their opinion? They're better place to know whether you can perfect the elements in time based on the standard that normally passed in your area.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:09:51 AM »
I think you'll pass both moves and FS without trouble... the only difficult part will be getting a program finished and ready to test in 2 months.  Compared to what I've seen on youtube I think your combo and backspin are probably passing standard.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 12:27:10 PM »
I agree you'll probably pass FS- my coach refused to let me test until I had a clean toe-loop on the combo, but the judges said toe waltzes are okay at that level :(   

As long as your jumps are fully rotated, it seems like you get a bit more leway on the spin, they just need the revolutions.  Your sit needs to look like a sit, and that's all.

That said- 2 months is short, and I wouldn't want to have to worry about so much all at once.  I'd just take the moves, to make sure they are clean.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 12:34:43 PM »
Oh, and I should also add that my coach recommends passing moves before attempting the FS test and not doing it all at once.

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »
Some clubs don't allow contingency tests either--which means you'd have to take them on separate test sessions.

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 03:10:46 PM »
I say - go for it!  Like you, I was anxiously looking forward to working on new things.  My backspin was a concern up to the day I tested :-), but  I passed Bronze moves and freestyle on the same day and was very happy about it!   

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 01:41:12 PM »
I think you'll pass both moves and FS without trouble... the only difficult part will be getting a program finished and ready to test in 2 months.  Compared to what I've seen on youtube I think your combo and backspin are probably passing standard.
You are sweet.... I agree except that the elements you see on you tube are not in the context of a program.  My stamina sucks! 
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »
Some clubs don't allow contingency tests either--which means you'd have to take them on separate test sessions.
Is it still a contingency if you are testing MIF and FS of the same level on the same day?  I thought it was a contingency situation for example if someone wanted to test both Pre-Broze and Bronze MIF on the same day.
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com

Offline Jenna

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 01:55:03 PM »
It's the same concept.  You can't test bronze freestyle until bronze moves are passed.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 11:26:14 AM »
I'd talk with your coach and see what s/he thinks.  2 months can be a short or long time depending on how much practice ice you get and how quick your pick up is.  The Bronze FS test would be contingent on passing your moves test.  I took both my Pre-Bronze Moves & FS on one test sesson and then took Bronze Moves & FS about 7 months later. 

Offline Adultsk8r509

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 11:47:31 AM »
I'd talk with your coach and see what s/he thinks.  2 months can be a short or long time depending on how much practice ice you get and how quick your pick up is.  The Bronze FS test would be contingent on passing your moves test.  I took both my Pre-Bronze Moves & FS on one test sesson and then took Bronze Moves & FS about 7 months later. 
I have a lesson today, but I emailed her in advance, asking her what she thought.  Her reply "OF COURSE YOU CAN PASS THOSE TESTS!!" I like your plan of action! ........she was referring to my suggesting we bump up my lesson to 30 minutes per week for the next 3 weeks.  That's when the deadline is for test registration.  I figure by then we will know if it's achievable.  She has more confidence in me than I have in myself!
Happy Landings
www.waltzjump.com