You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Info on rink in San Francisco?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
Info on rink in San Francisco?
« on: June 29, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »
Anyone skate in San Francisco?  We're spending the weekend in San Francisco and like to try out rinks when we travel.  We're only going to be there on Sat and Sun (July 4th weekend) and were wondering whether the weekend public sessions at the Yerba Buena ice center are typically mobbed, and whether they permit jumps and spins on public (my daughter isn't going to be happy unless she can at least do her axel and maybe a few double flips--even if she has to circle 20 times to find an opening).  Thanks and hope I posted this in the correct spot.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
Re: Info on rink in San Francisco?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 01:58:18 AM »
I hope you have fun!  Dd wanted to skate Yerba, but there was a comp that weekend.  Personally we seek out freestyle sessions when we are unsure of a rink public sessions.  I've learned to ask if it is a low or advanced freestyle.  Poor dd getting swamped by national skaters was not fun for her or them!

It's a beautiful rink with a fun kids museum in the same complex and a great diner on the other corner.

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 09:32:17 AM »
I hope you have fun!  Dd wanted to skate Yerba, but there was a comp that weekend.  Personally we seek out freestyle sessions when we are unsure of a rink public sessions.  I've learned to ask if it is a low or advanced freestyle.  Poor dd getting swamped by national skaters was not fun for her or them!

It's a beautiful rink with a fun kids museum in the same complex and a great diner on the other corner.

Thanks--it looks nice on the web.  Unfortunately no freestyles on the schedule this weekend except for one club session.  :(  The nice thing about public session is that my husband and I can skate also.  However, we would normally look for ones that are likely to be quiet.  Probably not going to happen on a holiday weekend.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 189
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:21:53 AM »
I wouldn't be so sure - many people travel for the holidays so sessions are more empty.  Many rinks actually close their doors and/or cancel group classes over holiday weekends.

Make sure to call before you go, just to confirm that their published schedule is correct.  If the webmaster's on vacation, it may be out of date.  (Doubt it in California, but that happens in other areas.)

I think jazzpants skates in that area (not sure which rink(s)), so I sent her an email asking her to chime in on this thread.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Terri C

• Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 5
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 02:19:01 PM »
Jazzpants is a Yerba Buena regular- maybe she knows something!!

Offline jazzpants

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 03:34:58 PM »
Howdy!  Someone pinged me???   ;D

Public sessions on weekends at YB tends to be quite crowded.  That said, you are allowed to do jumps and spins as long as it's in the middle of the circle.  That said, I would say that the 6:00-8:30p is likely to be less busy since it's a special public session for this weekend only.  The evening one is WAAAAY too late and tends to be mobbed by the teenagers and college kids after about 9:30pm but it's pretty empty at the beginning of the session.  The earlier two sessions are a mob scene and there's no room to set up for any jumps in the middle.  You also have coaches in the middle teaching the beginning FS kids too. 

The schedule for this weekend:

PUBLIC SKATING

Friday, July 1-- 1:00-5:00p, 9:00-11:00p

Saturday, July2-- 1:00-2:30p, 4:00-5:30p, 6:00-8:30p, 9:00-11:00p

Sunday, July3-- 1:00-2:30p, 4:00-5:30p

Monday, July 4-- Noon-5:00p, 7:30-9:00p

FREESTYLE

Friday, July 1-- 6:00-6:30a, 6:30-7:30a, 7:45-8:45a, 8:45-9:45a, 5:15-6:16p

Monday, July 4-- NO Freestyle sessions
Cheers,
~jazzpants~

On hiatus from competition. Working towards getting back to it.

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 03:58:39 PM »
Thanks so much jazzpants and others!!  I knew someone here skated there, but couldn't remember who.  That Saturday early evening session sounds like the best option.  If it's too crowded we'll just bail and go to dinner.   :)