You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Harlick Options  (Read 2575 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Harlick Options
« on: April 20, 2016, 09:10:36 AM »
I am "Jonesing" for new skates.  My fitter recommended Harlicks, which are the only brand I've not worn previously.  (He said that Avanta counts as Klingbeils.  He doesn't like Klingbeils, ergo he doesn't recommend Avantas.)  I'll probably go with a stock boot unless my measurements turn out really wacky.  (My right foot IS longer than my left.)

The Harlick stock-boot options form is pretty standard, but I could use some more info on a few items. http://www.harlick.com/boots/boots_stock_opt.php

The fittern recommended the "X-Line" option, which provides a rounder toe box.  I swear my toes cheered when they heard that - they're so squished in my SP-Teri's right now.

Part of the X-Line option is a "fuller arch."  What does that mean? 

I currently wear orthotics in my sneakers and use Sole Thin Sport insoles in my skates.  Should I plan on getting another pair of Soles or have Harlick make a custom insole?  How are "special" insoles accounted for when measuring?

Are Harlick "rubber sponge tongues" what these SP-Teri boots show?

How do they install tongue hooks without seeing the skater's foot?  (My ankles are uneven, so I always need the hook to keep the tongue in place.)  I could have my fitter install them - any advantage to having the mfg do this?

Soles/Heels Finish - Klingbeil used a light polyurethane but I don't see that listed as an option.  I remember Varnish being a real pita to maintain back in the day.  Is a wax finish simply Sno-Seal?  What is the "Chem Glaze" finish?

Flex notches are brilliant and the inventor deserves a prize; what advantage do Scallops provide over the notch?

I feel like my SP-Teri's are too low-cut and the Jackson Competitors were too high-cut.  (The custom Klingbeils were just right, said Goldylocks.) If the Harlick height is comparable to Jacksons, then the option to cut down the boot would be okay.  If they're comparable to the SP-Teri's, I wouldn't need that option.  How high up do Harlicks come on the calf? 

Is the stock backstay very high/inline with the sides?  Should I get it cut down for freestyle and moves?

I have a feeling that, after I add up the cost of stock+options, a pair of customs would probably cost the same amount.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Harlick Options
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 09:16:09 AM »
Heel height!  Any comparisons?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 12:02:56 PM »

I feel like my SP-Teri's are too low-cut and the Jackson Competitors were too high-cut.  (The custom Klingbeils were just right, said Goldylocks.)

I can't help you because I've never worn Harlick (although I have Jonesed about them forever) - but I love the Goldylocks imagery - that's just how we are, aren't we?)

Good luck finding skated and of course I know you will report on them!

Maybe one day my Harlick dream will come to pass! :)

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 12:36:38 PM »
How do they install tongue hooks without seeing the skater's foot?

As I'm sure you know, a fit is only as good as the fitter, so I assume you've chosen a good one.

Really good fitters often mark up standard manufacturer forms with additional info, including height and size of ankle bones, extra 3D shape info, positions of any unusual foot characteristics, etc. Perhaps you could request the ankle bone info be marked, or call Harlick and talk to their rep?

FWIIW, Harlicks lightest weight boots, last I checked, were lighter than Edeas, but a coach whose daughter had had them told me the ultra light model didn't last as long as their full weight boots - of course.

I was impressed by who they sent as a factory rep to a comp - Phil, who used to be their master boot maker.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »
I was impressed by who they sent as a factory rep to a comp - Phil, who used to be their master boot maker.

Phil and his wife Ginger own the company :)

As far as the OP's questions, I believe the "fuller" arch on the x-line allows for a higher instep, but I could be wrong on that :)

If you already have an insole option that works well for you, Harlick would recommend you stick with that vs paying for their custom ones.  This surprised me when I was fit two years ago, but as Phil said when I asked about it, why reinvent the wheel.

Rubber tongues are the same latex-based sponge rubber as used on SP Teri.

Natural wax is not sno-seal, but similar.  Chem-glaze is like a very thick polyurethane-like finish (not sure what it actually is though).

I got my Harlicks with a single loop scallop (so two notches) and I prefer that over just one notch. 

As far as boot height, I went from Jackson's (3900's) to my Harlicks and the height of the boot seemed the same to me, but I got mine with the BB backstay.  I highly recommend that option.

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 02:55:56 PM »
I have Custom Harlicks, so I can't speak to the X-Line. I believe it means that there is more padding and such, but I'm not sure. I actually like the normal one, and when I tried Klings once (disastrously) their toe box was way, way too big for me.

Your fitter can take into account any insoles that you currently wear. And, as was said, Harlick basically says if it is currently working for you, keep it. So I'm not sure I'd worry about a custom insole.

Yep, those are the rubber sponge tongues.

My hook in the tongue is roughly in the middle of the top hook part of each boot. They can likely tell from the measurements that are taken, especially if you do customs.

I have the carbon graphite soles with chem glaze. What I love about these is 1) it really is lighter, and 2) they're waterproofed! Because you don't have the leather on the bottoms of the soles, you don't have to sno-seal. The chem glaze is a thicker layer of clear sealant that covers both my soles and heels. My understanding is this is a stronger version of sno seal that won't come off or need reapplication. It also helps keep the carbon graphite from chipping.

I actually don't have flex notches or scallops, so no opinion there!

I would guess that Harlick's are more comparable to SP-Teri since the originators of both started out together. That is usually taken into account when doing customs, but I'm not sure exactly how high it goes in stocks. I have the BB backstay, which means that it is already cut down in back a bit, but they add the additional padding to make up for the leather being cut down a bit. I LOVE the BB Backstay - I do dance as well as freestyle, and it works really well for all of it.

If you have questions your fitter can't answer, Phil and Ginger are amazing and are always willing to talk to you about what you may want or need.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 07:37:55 PM »
Flex notches are a single notch a side.

Scallops are double notches with a curve between the notches.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/