You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: We've been ignored again!  (Read 6200 times)

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 14
Re: We've been ignored again!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 03:45:00 PM »
How about http://kootsu.com ?

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 08:33:18 PM »
http://agingskater.blogspot.com/2014/11/sometimes-hockey-boyz-have-all-fun.html

Those aren't going anywhere. Look at the sizes: S, M, L, XL. What size is a small? 6 year old? 16 year old or woman's? men's small?

Really, I see this all the time. Someone tries to sell something then misses a basic fact that is absolutely an essential piece of knowledge to make a purchasing decision.

Those aren't going anywhere. I've never seen a single pair, ever (in the US). I see Rockerz at every rink. Why? Kootsu requires you to trim with a hacksaw. Yeah, like I'm going to go out and buy a hacksaw just for that. Plus you have to put them together yourself, following their 17 step directions with 5 tools. Not going to do that.  I'll spend a few bucks more and get pre-assembled rockerz.

Also can't wear kootsu outside.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 11:35:56 PM »
Also can't wear kootsu outside.

Why not?

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 11:39:32 PM »
I have seen figure skaters wearing those, or something similar.  I do not see how anyone is being ignored.

Hockey guards work on figure skates.  In fact, they are the only guards I have tried that fit my fairly long blades.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 11:40:47 PM »
Why not?

Kootsu says so on their website.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 12:53:02 AM »

Kootsu says so on their website.

Where?

"I then noticed that some of the skaters wore their skateguards from home, walking in them like they were shoes. It was at that moment it came to me. Why can't a skateguard be more like a shoe?"

So they were clearly designed to handle walking across a parking lot at least. What more does one need?

Even if they do recommend against outdoor use somewhere, that doesn't mean it can't be done perfectly fine. I wear my standard 2-piece cheap ones in the parking lot on rare occasion when needed.

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 07:41:37 AM »

http://www.kootsu.com/products/how-to_guide

Please carefully read the instruction manual thoroughly before assembling your kootsu® skateguard. A person qualified to handle work tools must perform all the assembly. Please wear all protective devices prior to working with work tools. Only wear kootsu® skateguards indoors.

Do not use kootsu® skateguards for jumping, running, or for outdoor use. If parts of the kootsu® skateguard become worn or damaged, please discard parts immediately. Questa Design Limited liability is strictly limited to the replacement and/or repair of defective goods. Questa Design Limited shall not otherwise be liable for any direct, indirect, special or consequential damages arising from the use of the kootsu® skateguard.

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 07:49:57 AM »
http://www.kootsu.com/products/how-to_guide

Sounds like pretty srandard liability disclaimer to me. I am sure they work putside just fine, but they don't want sued when little Bobby goes running through the woods with his friends in them and the guard gets snagged on something, pulls off, his exposed blade then gets stuck in a tree root, and he goes tumbling into the ravine...

I'm with you though on preferring the Rockerz though - they look less weird. :)

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 09:08:27 AM »

Funny you should mention the Kootsu.  That was the one I was actually trying to find (couldn't remember the name) when I tripped across the other two.  I still think the rollergard is the bomb.  The only thing that would make it cooler would be if sparks shot out the back of the guard when the wheels turned.

Yeah, at least the Kootsu will fit figure skates.  If only they'd make it in a lurid florescent color!  The tasteful white/elegant black choices are a drag.

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 12:20:35 PM »
Funny you should mention the Kootsu.  That was the one I was actually trying to find (couldn't remember the name) when I tripped across the other two.  I still think the rollergard is the bomb.  The only thing that would make it cooler would be if sparks shot out the back of the guard when the wheels turned.

Yeah, at least the Kootsu will fit figure skates.  If only they'd make it in a lurid florescent color!  The tasteful white/elegant black choices are a drag.

Aw man.  Sparks would totally make that.  I looked at the rollerguard website, and they actually do show a figure skate sporting one of those.  I say go for it.   

Offline Query

• Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 12:48:17 PM »
Some people steal skate guards. These look very stealable.

A cheap way for an ice skater to get in-line skates, while using their high quality ice skates. But - I think there are no brakes, so you have to be good (e.g., do an aggressive jumped/hockey stop) to stop. Stopping has always been harder on roller skates than ice skates (and the need greater, because you may go down a hill into a curb), and the lack of a brake adds to that. Or am I wrong about the lack of a brake?

They made a big commercial mistake. If someone tries RollerGuard.com instead of rollergard.com, they get the wrong site.

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 01:31:44 PM »
Some people steal skate guards. These look very stealable.

I have seen public session skaters take them from the little boxes next to the rink.  They thought they were for anyone to use.  I never put guards in there... or wear guards - EVER.  Too risky.

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 05:59:48 PM »
I have seen public session skaters take them from the little boxes next to the rink.  They thought they were for anyone to use.  I never put guards in there... or wear guards - EVER.  Too risky.

I've had a pair of hard guards swiped but nobody touches the replacement pair that have my name in shapie marker all over them.  The blade rust in the interiors is probably a deterrent as well...

As for risky, yep, we've all taken a flyer, forgetting to remove the guards before stepping out on the ice.  But can you imagine a wheeled senior moment entree sur la glace?!  Oh wow man, would make the skating club's Facebook page, fer shur.  Done with panache might even be publication worthy for JAMA or New England Journal.

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »
Aw man.  Sparks would totally make that.  I looked at the rollerguard website, and they actually do show a figure skate sporting one of those.  I say go for it.   

Loops:  Where on the rollergard website did you see these guards pictured with a figure skate?  NB: there's a spelling difference between rollerguard and rollergard.  Rollergard says they're working on a model for figure skates.  Did I miss an update?

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 11:58:58 AM »
Loops:  Where on the rollergard website did you see these guards pictured with a figure skate?  NB: there's a spelling difference between rollerguard and rollergard.  Rollergard says they're working on a model for figure skates.  Did I miss an update?

Bummer- it was on the Skaboots website....[facepalm]....my bad.  I was going to put those on my US christmas list, too.....

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 02:12:02 PM »
To prevent theft, I sometimes use soaker-style guards (with Kevlar at the bottom, so they last longer), and put them in my coat pocket. Not suitable for walking long distances, but they serve.

Rollergards are supposed to save time - presumably because you skate instead of walk from your car to the rink. I think that isn't all that large a time savings, so may be some hype.

With proper marketing, they might be as popular as Zucca bags. Imagine lots of little kids zipping around the parking lot, up and down the banisters, and around the lobby of your favorite ice rink. Much more fun than trying to clumsily roll yourself around on the Zucca. Not that that will be altogether safe, especially without a brake.

And perhaps aggressive in-line skating could damage a figure skating blade or loosen its mount.

But they do look fun!

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 02:52:07 PM »
Rollergards have only 2 wheel positions per foot, meaning you would have no turning ability at all.  I would imagine they also wear out rather quickly as well.

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 03:25:12 PM »
Rollergards have only 2 wheel positions per foot, meaning you would have no turning ability at all.  I would imagine they also wear out rather quickly as well.

Isn't that how quad roller skates are set up?  It's been a long time since I've gone roller skating--I had a pair that attached to the soles of my shoes with a "skate key".  I was probably about 7 or 8 when I had those skates--just a few semesters ago...

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 04:56:51 PM »
Isn't that how quad roller skates are set up?  It's been a long time since I've gone roller skating--I had a pair that attached to the soles of my shoes with a "skate key".  I was probably about 7 or 8 when I had those skates--just a few semesters ago...

Yes, but they have trucks that hold the wheels, which turn when you lean.  The bladegards surely don't.

Offline Query

• mgrunes.com
(Rollergards) Re: We've been ignored again!
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 06:42:05 PM »
I saw a pair of the Rollergards in action. The young lady (age 13-15?), a very good hockey skater who has figure skated too, thought they were great fun. They do have brake pads. She can stop. She can turn. She can go fast. But beware - she is a very good skater, so that might bias her review.

But: these are quad skates, not inline skates.
And they still aren't available for figure skates, though the web site promises they will be.

Jo Ann Schneider Farris has reviewed them

http://figureskating.about.com/od/equipment/fr/Rollergards-Are-A-Fun-Way-To-Protect-Ice-Skate-Blades.htm

One on-line price is $56.95 - maybe it is cheaper elsewhere.

Also, remember that roller skates can go very fast. I wonder if an under-rotated jump landing could shear off your expensive blades. I also picture someone skating through a glass panel or door at full speed - could rinks will ban them?