You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Where to eat in NYC?  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
Where to eat in NYC?
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:59:51 PM »
So, Tuesday me and the girls are hitting the big apple (Klingbeils).  Not sure if we are going to be able to see a show, but we were wondering what are some good places to eat while we are there?  We plan on being between the new Klingbeil location and the fashion & theater districts.  Any and all suggestions are welcome!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
Re: Where to eat in NYC?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 12:47:25 AM »
I would say the Life Cafe, but unfortunately it closed. It was a great destination for those who love the show RENT.

Other than that there's Tonic in Times Square as well as Haru (sushi). Life Cafe was incredible, best burger I've had ever, but again it closed recently. I think the lease on the building went up. There is still one in Brooklyn, but the original one where Jonathan Larson wrote RENT is closed.

Other good food places are any street vendor, though none of it is healthy and then a place called Famiglia Pizza. It's near the Capezio store in Times Square. Best pizza ever.

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 08:32:03 AM »
I would say the Life Cafe, but unfortunately it closed. It was a great destination for those who love the show RENT.

Other than that there's Tonic in Times Square as well as Haru (sushi). Life Cafe was incredible, best burger I've had ever, but again it closed recently. I think the lease on the building went up. There is still one in Brooklyn, but the original one where Jonathan Larson wrote RENT is closed.

Other good food places are any street vendor, though none of it is healthy and then a place called Famiglia Pizza. It's near the Capezio store in Times Square. Best pizza ever.
Well, we figure our NYC trip doesn't happen every day so healthy isn't a top priority! Thanks for the recommendations! We are trying to find things that we can't get around our place (very rural/country). Good interesting food is always on our list.
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 10:44:58 AM »
To me, a trip.to NYC is nothing without a hot dog off the street.

Oh and pay attention to flyer distributers. We were heading into a restaraunt and a guy one the corner was yelling at us. The group, as typical.ignored him, but o glanced and saw the flyer would get all 8 of us a free glass of wine. It was a nice one too.

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 02:43:34 PM »
You'll be pretty close to Korea Town.  How about Korean BBQ? Try Gyu-Kaku
My glass is half full :)

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 12:34:13 AM »
You'll be pretty close to Korea Town.  How about Korean BBQ? Try Gyu-Kaku

I recommend Korean barbecue, too. It's sometimes called bulkoki or bulkogi. In smaller towns, there's only one kind of bulkogi - thin slices of meat and vegetables on a grill in the middle of the table. But in places like NY, you can get a bigger range of things to barbecue. I shared a great steak and shrimp (with a butter and ground pepper dip) with a friend last year at one of the place in Koreatown. I can't recall the name anymore. Looking on Yelp, I found this really interesting one that even has tuna steak, lobster, scallop and king crab bulkogi. http://www.donsbogam.com/