You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: You know you skate too much when...  (Read 46282 times)

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 260
  • or is that geekyskater?
Re: You know you skate too much when...
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2014, 07:05:39 PM »
Maybe it's skating that causes these deficiencies! I got the same issue, and take D supplements and once-per-month B12 injections.

FWIW, I can't tell any difference with the supplements. Sorry to burst your bubble!

The low D, at least, predates skating… I knew about it a few years ago but was switching doctors and never followed up.  New doc gave me an earful about that last month when she found out I knew but hadn't even bothered with regular multivitamins.

Well, bummer.  But maybe the placebo effect will kick in and I'll be doing axels soon!   ;D

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2014, 08:47:03 AM »

The low D, at least, predates skating… I knew about it a few years ago but was switching doctors and never followed up.  New doc gave me an earful about that last month when she found out I knew but hadn't even bothered with regular multivitamins.

Well, bummer.  But maybe the placebo effect will kick in and I'll be doing axels soon!   ;D

Taking b12 sometimes makes me feel less tired... Which means I will be more inclined to move. Lol. Both to get up and go to the rink and actually be more active when I'm there. So in that respect it very well could help!

Offline accordion

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 15
  • Skating about downunder...
    • Bobbins, Bikes and Blades
« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2014, 12:43:46 AM »
The vitamin D deficiency can take a while to resolve. The change is so gradual that you just don't notice until 6 months later you are less tired, grumpy and reactive.

B12 deficiency is a quicker fix, under a month, but you need to take them always. Some people find daily pills are not enough so need it injected regularly instead.

Hoping every one improves soon.  :)
Will do almost anything for pizza.
http://bobbinsbikesandblades.com/wordpress/

Offline 4711

• Punching Out Boots
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2014, 12:52:24 AM »
The vitamin D deficiency can take a while to resolve. The change is so gradual that you just don't notice until 6 months later you are less tired, grumpy and reactive.

B12 deficiency is a quicker fix, under a month, but you need to take them always. Some people find daily pills are not enough so need it injected regularly instead.

Hoping every one improves soon.  :)

The good thing about Vitamin D is you have to try really hard with astronomical doses to OD on it.
I had Mono and D deficiency....I think a wet dishrag had more energy. It was TERRIBLE.
(cure for D deficiency: 10.000 units a day for a week, then once a week for 3 month...)

to easy to take to feel exhausted!
:blush: ~ I should be writing~ :blush:

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2014, 07:18:06 AM »
The good thing about Vitamin D is you have to try really hard with astronomical doses to OD on it.
I had Mono and D deficiency....I think a wet dishrag had more energy. It was TERRIBLE.
(cure for D deficiency: 10.000 units a day for a week, then once a week for 3 month...)

to easy to take to feel exhausted!

Oh wow… that's an unfun combination. 

Yeah, I'm on 50,000 units 2x/week for 8 weeks, then 2000 daily for 4, then we recheck.  Got a B12 injection to get things going, now daily tablets, and we'll recheck that in 12 weeks too.  Sounds like I might start to notice effects right around the time I also step down from a major job responsibility.  Really looking forward to summer!

Offline Casey

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 14
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2014, 09:17:30 AM »
When all of your regular clothes are from a thrift store, but the skating clothes are purchased brand new.

When, while shopping for these new skating clothes, you leave the store after a couple hours searching, frustrated that they don't have any long-sleeve shirts that fit snugly enough.

When you do this at several stores in a row.

When you want your skates to be dry as quickly as possible, so you tote them into work after morning sessions to put them on a boot dryer under your desk.  Even when this means lugging a heavy skate bag in addition to your lunch and laptop up five flights of stairs, skipping every other step, because you're convinced that doing this will help you jump better so you've boycotted the elevator.

When your spouse in the morning tells you they had a dream about you skating and in it, you jumped so high you hit the roof at the rink.

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2014, 12:00:20 PM »
...your other hobbies service skating.

Examples: I like woodworking and music - and I've made my own upper-end loudspeakers to audition classical music selections for programs. My music selection is over 1500 CDs, and the vast majority are classical. When playing a disc, I try to imagine a program to the music. If I really like a skater's music on TV, I will soon have the CD (Jeremy Abbot - "Pina", Johnny Weir - Sibelius' Valse Triste, etc.)

Another woodworking example: I've made skate drying racks for my own needs, and about a dozen more to sell to other skaters.

More: My job is photo centric, so whenever I teach, I sometimes use skating related pictures as examples in class.
(Want proof?: There's a photo of me teaching in our lab with the student computers all showing a skater doing a spiral. It's hosted on the school's web site - http://www.ohio.edu/viscom/ if you are curious.)

Someone-has-to-do-it department: Test a new photo printer for the school? - dig out some favorite skating pictures and make big prints!
Bill Schneider

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2014, 02:36:19 PM »
You lace your hiking boots the same way you lace your skates

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2014, 03:05:20 PM »

...or your snowboots  :-[  But really, they're more comfortable that way! ;)

Offline accordion

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 15
  • Skating about downunder...
    • Bobbins, Bikes and Blades
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2014, 12:10:29 AM »

Caught myself pulling up my shoe laces like I do the skate laces  88). Also - took Miss 14 to get hiking boots for a school camp week in the bush. She did the same thing. The salesman said it was good that she did her boots up nice and firm, then asked where she'd hiked before. Miss 14 had to explain that she ice-skated... and had never hiked before. :laugh:
Will do almost anything for pizza.
http://bobbinsbikesandblades.com/wordpress/

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2015, 09:24:08 AM »
Had to resurrect this one. We had several days of frigid temps, then one day of rain, followed by frigid temps again. Because of that there's a small patch of ice in the spot next to my driveway that always floods. It's about 12 feet x 2 feet. I looked at it this morning and pondered whether it was wide enough for me to at least practice turns or something. I decided it isn't, but also that if it were in my backyard rather than the front, I would probably try anyway. :-)

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2015, 11:29:51 AM »
Awesome Twinskaters.  When I was a kid growing up, occasionally we'd get ice storms.  Your story reminds me of two times the streets froze with at least an inch of ice (safe enough to not kill blades).  I remember the first time, I worked on my figures in the street, and the second time I did a bit of freestyle in a relatively new Kiss-n-Ride parking lot for the local bus system.  Both times it was fantastic, never had any audience.   In light of that I vote you damn the torpedoes and just do it!  In your shoes, I'd also get my hose ready to you know, help the puddle along.... :angel:

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2015, 02:50:18 PM »
You put 30,000 miles a year on your car.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Christy

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 103
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2015, 04:12:29 PM »
As a kid I used to skate down the street when I returned home from the rink. It wasn't quite so much fun returning as we were on quite a steep hill ;-)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2015, 05:52:00 PM »
You put 30,000 miles a year on your car.

No kidding... I bought my car 8 months ago, with only 10 miles on it.  I'm at 16500 already!  I don't think I'll be hitting 30k this year, but 20k is a real possibility!

Offline Neverdull44

• Making the Ice Cake
  • Total GOE: 120
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2015, 06:34:49 PM »
One of the little girls helps you do your freeskate program by following along with you!  (adorable moment on ice today).

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2015, 07:35:34 PM »
A.  You run out of space in your skate bag (Transpack Ice) for all your gear.
B.  The solution is to dig into the closet for the bigger bag (full size Transpack) that you bought by mistake a couple of years ago and never bothered to return, (because hey, you never know…).

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2015, 09:48:52 AM »
You buy gloves every time you see them at the dollar store or on clearance at Target! Seriously, between myself and the girls, I must have a dozen pairs right now. And theirs are a bit too small for me but will do in a pinch.

Offline amkw

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #68 on: January 18, 2015, 10:52:32 AM »

I have a pair of booties with hooks that are similar to skate hooks and I always lace them like my skates  :) it makes me happy. Love that others do that too!

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2015, 01:21:24 AM »
You buy gloves every time you see them at the dollar store or on clearance at Target! Seriously, between myself and the girls, I must have a dozen pairs right now. And theirs are a bit too small for me but will do in a pinch.

My hubby gave me a stockpile at Christmas, but I can't stop picking them out of the dollar bin when I'm out at Jo-ann's buying fabric!  I have gloves everywhere!

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2015, 02:46:52 AM »

I do this with skate laces and tights. No pro shop in my city so anytime I go somewhere with one...
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2015, 11:41:51 PM »
You find yourself doing spirals in a store's dressing room as you try on a thin sweater that might be perfect for a showskate costume.  Had to see how it would look in various positions, and needed to determine which size would work best so that it wouldn't be constricting.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2015, 03:34:06 AM »
Taking b12 sometimes makes me feel less tired... Which means I will be more inclined to move. Lol. Both to get up and go to the rink and actually be more active when I'm there. So in that respect it very well could help!

I discovered B12 is like legal Speed. My mother had a B12 deficiency, and I had some of the same symptoms, so I started taking it. The first couple of weeks was amazing. Then it just becomes the new normal.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Online Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2015, 08:08:36 AM »
I wish that I'd respond to vitamin B12 that way. The doc said I was deficient about a year ago. He put me on monthly injections, but I swear there's no difference at all.

Different strokes, I guess.
Bill Schneider

Offline skategeek

• Swizzle Royalty
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2015, 08:24:14 AM »
I've done ~12 weeks of daily supplements of B12 and D now; got blood levels rechecked and they're good, so I'm supposed to keep doing it. Not really noticing much of a difference in energy level or anything, unfortunately.  Oh well.