You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Any other Test Chairs here?  (Read 1169 times)

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
Any other Test Chairs here?
« on: December 29, 2010, 01:45:00 AM »
I've been our clubs' test chair for 3 years now.  I'll probably do it until my DD graduates in 1.5 years.  I was just wondering if there are any other test chairs here.  How long have you been the test chair?  Do you have any secrets for attracting judges (mine is my DH's famous meatballs)?  Care to share any other secrets to making test day run smoothly?

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Any other Test Chairs here?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 09:02:08 AM »
Not a test chair, just a frequent volunteer and parent of one of those judges:

a) Make sure that your judges are able to stay warm.  Small things like coffee, hot chocolate being available are important; a heater for feet, a warm blanket ... something.
b) Give the judges some privacy; ensure that they're not going to be badgered by upset parents, skaters, coaches over an unwelcome test result. Judging is also a fairly stressful endeavour, particularly on a busy test day - they need a break to reset their brains.
c) Snacks. Good idea to ask ahead of time if there are allergies, dietary restrictions.  It's a long day in many cases, and they do need to be fed.
d) A safe seating spot; may sound odd, but, some rinks have rickety chairs or expect judges to sit on wobbly platforms. Bigger problem for older judges who may not be so mobile, especially after sitting for a bit.
e) Supplies. Ensure that there are lots of sharp pencils, etc. It's a little touch that is welcome.
f) Have a good ice captain. That way the kids are on the ice on time and things run on time.
g) Organization. Have a specific time length for warmup and adhere to it. Tests shouldn't be being "taught" during the warmup; if the skater needs 10 minutes to 'work with the coach' on a dance before testing it because the steps aren't quite "there" yet, it likely shouldn't have been in for the test. Once you start running behind, everyone gets stressed and "breaks" for washrooms, etc may not happen, which means that the judge is sitting without respite for a long time.
h) A small token of appreciation at the end of the day.  Judges are volunteers; they take time out of their schedule, and something, a gift card is always nice, is appropriate. 
i) Notification as much in advance as possible of any changes to the test lineup. Don't suddenly throw in a Silver Samba that wasn't on the schedule. Judges like to know what they're going to be judging. If you do, then, at least acknowledge and forewarn as much as possible.
j) What is obvious but sometimes get forgotten: say thank you to the judge. Everyone likes to be appreciated, and a simple "Thanks for coming" is great.
k) Ask the judge for feedback on what went well/what didn't/suggestions. They'll appreciate being asked for input, and they may come out with something you never thought of or explain why you have a struggle getting judges in.
l) Pay expenses promptly. They don't like having to "bother" the Test Chair repeatedly for their expense cheque. Plus, the're out of pocket until you cut it (where expenses are paid, of course; our judges get mileage covered and hotels where they are required, plus a per diem for meals for overnights and that).

Other than that ... publish the schedule way in advance. Tell skaters to be there at least 45 minutes to an hour early. Abide by the schedule.  Have an ice captain to take attendance and organize getting the skaters on the ice. Have someone on music who knows how the equipment works, and how to play music for test days. Have backup CDs of the music needed, including freeskate programs. Make sure that the CDs are clearly labelled so no-one has to go hunt for the track for, say, the Killian. For low-level tests, giving parents and skaters a "tip sheet" for what to expect at and how to prepare for test day will eliminate some of the stress and confusion for "new testers".