You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Is lifting your Leg over your head possible to do when.....  (Read 3585 times)

Offline FSWer

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 1
Is lifting your Leg over your head possible to do when.....
« on: January 12, 2011, 09:17:20 PM »
Say,is lifting your Leg up over your head possible to do when trying a Spiral holding onto a wall or counter?

Offline sk8Joyful

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 72
Re: Is lifting your Leg over your head possible to do when, ..
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 09:41:02 PM »
is lifting your Leg up over your head, possible to do when trying a Spiral, holding onto a wall or counter?
As just a beginner skater, what I do is S-T-R-E-T-C-H the muscles needed for a Split on the floor. (A FOOT off the floor is about where I am on most days). When you can do a Split on the floor, you can also easily translate this into the Biellman-position, of pulling your leg up & over your head. - Until then, yes you can hold unto a high counter, & pull your free blade as high as you can. (Shoulder-height is about where I've been). 

It's harder for a man because your body is different, from us ladies. However, with your consistent  :) determination, you will get there. Have Fun!!  :)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 10:32:43 PM »
Say,is lifting your Leg up over your head possible to do when trying a Spiral holding onto a wall or counter?
Yes, but there are two things you have to work on to make this happen.

You must always warm up well and stretch every day.  Don't rush into it or you'll hurt yourself.

You can put the toe of your lifted foot on the wall or counter.
Then do a spiral position, keeping only one hand on the wall/counter for balance.

Once you're comfortable doing that, you can start to stretch your legs to hold the foot higher.
Just get into position and bend the knee of the leg that's touching the floor. 
That will stretch your hips and legs to build flexibility and help you stretch higher.

Given your muscle tone issues, be really careful.  You should ask your aides for some guidance to make sure you don't overdo it and get hurt. 

Stretching is the easy part - it's holding it up without the counter or wall that's difficult.
When you do this in skates, the weight of the skates makes it harder to lift.
So, when you practice off the ice, you should wear something that has a bit of weight to it.
If you don't have ankle weights, try wearing a pair of heavy snow boots.

Good luck!
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline sk8Joyful

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 11:55:18 PM »
You must always warm up well, and stretch every day.  Don't rush into it or you'll hurt yourself.
forgot to Add the always warm up well part, mainly because plain just forget to DO :-[ it, too.  Primarily because when younger, I never thought of warming up, I just did - whatever And since I continue thinking like this, I just say: "ok, let's just do that, or this, right now, right here" ;D lol So that is Not a good idea. - Hm, now to find a Warm-up Practice ,  ,  list. Thank you.

Offline FSWer

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 1
Re: Is lifting your Leg over your head possible to do when.....
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:53:56 PM »
What I do is stand sideways with my hand on the counter. Then the Leg that's closest to the counter or the sink is the one I lift. I am not using my other hand to lift my Legs up. Just my mussles. Is that what I should be doing?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Is lifting your Leg over your head possible to do when.....
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 07:03:17 AM »
What I do is stand sideways with my hand on the counter. Then the Leg that's closest to the counter or the sink is the one I lift. I am not using my other hand to lift my Legs up. Just my mussles. Is that what I should be doing?
Yes.

Note from moderator:
FSWer - this thread was NOT removed. 
Just a few posts that were part of a thread drift were removed from the thread. 
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com