You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Jackson Mystiques for new beginning adult skater?  (Read 1803 times)

Offline skcp3

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
Jackson Mystiques for new beginning adult skater?
« on: January 18, 2015, 11:25:09 PM »
Would you all say these are good skates for that level? I'm 19 years old, 125 lbs, and 5'7. I have skated recreationally before (live in one of those places where every kid learns basic skating) and I can comfortably go backwards and forwards at a slow-medium speed and stop by dragging the back of the blade- not the proper stop but it's always worked when I go skating socially or around the holidays! 

I've just decided to sign up for Adult Intro (about Basic 1-2 I think)at my college's rink, and bought these skates from the pro shop there since they were in the "entry level" section of the store. These were a steal at $75 so I may have made an impulse buy, but I thought that I should at least have a pair instead of renting them.

The internet (this generation's source of reliable research! LOL) gave me a mixed bag of reviews on these, but they weren't very detailed- so I'm just wondering if anyone's had personal experience with these that they would like to share? Thanks in advance!

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Jackson Mystiques for new beginning adult skater?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 12:49:19 AM »
As long as they fit well they should be fine - depending on how quickly your skills progress you may need a higher level of boot/blade fairly soon, or these may last you a while, it's really hard to tell since everyone progresses at their own pace :)

Offline Matsumoto

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:33:27 AM »
I agree with sarahspins that it depends on how fast you learn/progress but I think they will work well for you to start with.

I started learning to skate on the Jackson Mystique and was able to keep using them up to beginning spins (2-foot, 1-foot) and beginning single jumps (waltz, Salchow).  To me they had a good amount of support for an entry level skate.

Enjoy your Adult skate sessions!

Offline twinskaters

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 9
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 10:49:11 AM »
You definitely got them for a steal! I think you'll get your money's worth out of them before you need to upgrade.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 08:54:57 PM »
I wore mine for about a year until I lost enough weight that my heels weren't secure anymore. And I started at close to double your weight. You should get at least the same.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline skcp3

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015, 10:54:40 PM »
Awesome, thank you everyone! I had mostly heard that they were good for children but parents had to upgrade them soon, which was probably skewed either because kids learn faster, and kids are growing!

Im definitely looking forward to skating soon, thanks again!

Offline accordion

• Defrosting Da Toes
  • Total GOE: 15
  • Skating about downunder...
    • Bobbins, Bikes and Blades
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 04:19:54 AM »
My eldest had hers for almost two years.  :o Initially they were a tad large, now they are a little tight. She was measured and has gone from a 5 to 5.5 (Jackson sizing). We probably should have upgraded her earlier but I was saving my pennies.

The lass is a lucky one, we got a never used 5 year old pair of Elites with Coronation Ace blades, for a lovely bargain - Yay!

I know another adult skater who got the Mystiques for herself. Loves them, has had them 3 years, is making very slow progress due to constant injury problems.
Will do almost anything for pizza.
http://bobbinsbikesandblades.com/wordpress/