You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: When did you start wearing skirts/leggings etc?  (Read 40146 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: When did you start wearing skirts/leggings etc?
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2012, 09:08:46 PM »
  I haven't had a problem getting holes from my hooks with my Flowerdaze boot cuts (I've had these for 2 years) or my Balera leggings (one size too large so I can pull them over the back of my boots because they have  :love: waistband elastic), so I am trying to figure out how to justify a pair of Chloe Noels when my Flowerdaze were moderately priced (like ~ 1/2 the price of Chloe Noels) and my Baleras were down-right cheap (like $10 a pair) in comparison.

Shopping for leggings in the last few hours of Cyber Monday. Flowerdaze seems to be in the $50s range now, but Balera is indeed $9.99 at dancewearsolutions. Do you have this cotton/spandex version? :D

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2012, 09:18:30 PM »
I think if you know where the hooks are pressing you can iron some iron on patch material (like for jeans) on the inside of the pants, and that should keep the hooks from tearing through.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2012, 10:07:18 PM »
I tried on a Mondor dress because they were on sale. It looked good on the top. However, the skirt barely covered my butt. XD;;; Because I'm short and have wide hips, it made me look stocky. >_>;;  Maybe I should just get a leotard and a wrap skirt.

Offline karne

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2012, 07:36:58 AM »
I tried on a Mondor dress because they were on sale. It looked good on the top. However, the skirt barely covered my butt. XD;;; Because I'm short and have wide hips, it made me look stocky. >_>;;  Maybe I should just get a leotard and a wrap skirt.

Mondor's sizes, like a lot of French apparel brands, are for pygmies.

Anyway, I started out in regular sweatpants and a t-shirt. Then I bought some cheapo $10 leggings from Kmart, and a ballet wrap skirt, and skated in that instead. Then I found these fabulous black lycra aerobic pants at Target for $20, so I bought two, and still wear them regularly. I've only caught the blade twice - both on cross-foot spins. They've worn well, too. (At that point, I started wearing skating tights, too.) When summer came around it was just too hot to be skating in long pants, so I made myself a skating skirt, and then in the post-Christmas sales bought myself a pair of dance shorts for $10, which I now wear in the summer with skating tights (along with most of the rest of the rink.)

I'm 5'7-5'8 and roughly 190 pounds, so I'm not a petite little thing - I carry most of my fat on my thighs. After a while with the skirt, it didn't bother me, and still doesn't. I don't wear them in public, of course, but I have no qualms about wearing them to the rink.
"Three months in figure skating is nothing. Three months is like 5 minutes in a day. 5 minutes in 24 hours - that's how long you've been working on this. And that's not long at all. You are 1000% better than you were 5 minutes ago." -- My coach

ISA Preliminary! Passed 13/12/14!

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2012, 05:06:19 PM »

I bought a mondor skirt. In the picture it came to the knees, and I bought a Large based on their sizing. It didn't even cover my butt.

Dance wear is mystery sizing and the pictures all lie.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2012, 07:31:17 PM »
Shopping for leggings in the last few hours of Cyber Monday. Flowerdaze seems to be in the $50s range now, but Balera is indeed $9.99 at dancewearsolutions. Do you have this cotton/spandex version? :D
  Yep, the cotton/spandex version.  WARM.   :love:  Leslie has raised her prices, then.  :nvm:

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2012, 08:42:44 PM »
I bought a mondor skirt. In the picture it came to the knees, and I bought a Large based on their sizing. It didn't even cover my butt.

Now I'm worried about my leggings purchase. The measurements fell right in the middle of a size, and I hesitated to bump it to the larger size...

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2012, 02:14:50 AM »

LOL! Oh goodness. Was this supposed to be Ice Dance?

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2012, 04:29:33 AM »
So, here starts the search for warm leggings to wear skating. Is there anywhere I can find fleece lined leggins? In particular, ones that aren't super pricey? I can't seem to find much searching online. Or some other type of warm leggings that aren't so tight? I don't really have the body for leggings...

Hmm how about Mondor Polartec leggings?

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2012, 05:57:04 PM »
I think if you know where the hooks are pressing you can iron some iron on patch material (like for jeans) on the inside of the pants, and that should keep the hooks from tearing through.

Thank you, I might try it.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2012, 06:19:38 PM »
Now I'm worried about my leggings purchase. The measurements fell right in the middle of a size, and I hesitated to bump it to the larger size...
  If it's Balera stuff, they are very stretchy and are fine in the smaller size, no worries.

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2012, 06:03:08 PM »
Okay... I got a motionwear skirt that's about 18 inches long.  :laugh: I think I'll wear it with normal clothes, too.

I tried on the ballet leotards. It's probably because of the lighting and the distance of the mirror, but I didn't like it. :(

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »
  If it's Balera stuff, they are very stretchy and are fine in the smaller size, no worries.

Balera leggings arrived in the mail, yes they are stretchy and fit just about right. Not tight enough to hold paddings in place, but fit my purposes well :)

Wrap skirts on the other hand look bad on me :(  guess I found 100% polyester too flimsy...

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2012, 12:20:55 PM »
I got a skirt today :) It's a simple lilac circular skirt, from a local dance shop.

It comes to just around my knees (I'm 5 foot 2, I think it's meant to be shorter, haha!) and flows in a lovely way. With my black leggings, it looks very good, and my rather rotund rear is nicely covered :)

Think coach will have a heart attack when I wear it on Thursday! Well, she did say that at some point she'd have to start teaching me in a skirt, I might as well get used to them myself! :)
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2012, 02:16:39 PM »
I got a skirt today :) It's a simple lilac circular skirt, from a local dance shop.

It comes to just around my knees (I'm 5 foot 2, I think it's meant to be shorter, haha!) and flows in a lovely way. With my black leggings, it looks very good, and my rather rotund rear is nicely covered :)

Think coach will have a heart attack when I wear it on Thursday! Well, she did say that at some point she'd have to start teaching me in a skirt, I might as well get used to them myself! :)

First time I skated in a skirt the cold air blowing on my inner thighs made me feel naked.

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2012, 03:24:31 PM »
I'm actually really excited to give it a try! I spun round on our tiled floor while trying it on with my leggings and it goes all floaty :D

Just wish I could skate sooner than Thursday!
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2012, 04:26:49 PM »
Leotard plus wrap skirt did not fit me, but a fitted tee plus wrap shirt plus leggings were great.

The balera leggings grew on me even more, they pulled down over the heel quite easily. Good buy, thank you techskater for the tip :)

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »
Glad to help, jjane!!  Just double check your seems as sometimes they pull loose...

Offline PrettySk8Dress

• Twin Tails SilverGray
  • Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 8
  • Adult Ice Dancer / USFS Pre-Sil & ISI Dance 6
    • Ponytails' Website ( I am Xylo,TheCarouselPony )
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »
I've got this feeling I'd like to start wearing some more appropriate skating attire when I get my new skates. I know a lot of ladies here wear leggings to practice in, but I'm a larger lady (5ft 2 and 180lbs) and am thinking, if I do that, I need to cover my rather large behind 

So, what level were you when you started to wear things like leggings/tights and skirts etc?

I used to wear skating pants, until an accident happened wherein I caught my toepick in the side fabric of my pantsleg. Although the fabric of the pants was not torn, my toepick produced an inch and a half gash in the inside of my left calf. That has always puzzled me how the toepick did not cut the fabric, but really cut up the inside of my left calf. That accident finally knocked enough sense in my head to begin wearing something other than pants for skating practice.

Many of the younger kids and teens at my rink wear leggings, but you have to remember that they do not as yet have an adult's body size and shape. I have occasionally seen a female adult skater with a somewhat larger behind, or with a typical adult body size and shape that is not real thin wear leggings for skate practice, and the look of leggings by themselves, both covering everything as well as showing everything, is just a bit unnerving, to say the least. I, too, have a somewhat bigger proportioned behind and thighs, and although I have worn skating leggings for practice, they just make me feel uncomfortable.

The combination that has worked for me is to wear a velvet skating dresses with long sleeves for warmth, along with sheer-to-the-waist support pantyhose, with skating tights worn over the pantyhose. The skating dresses that I wear have a longer skirt, styled like a synchro or dance skating dress, so the dreaded behind factor is covered, and the layered pantyhose/skating tights are warm enough so that I do not freeze to death during dance practice. So, that's all I ever wear for skate practice these days, a pretty skating dress, and the pantyhose/tights combination. 
" Put all of our dreams and wishes into these Twin Tails;
Just like how we live by our streaming hair;
With Red Courage;
And Blue Love;
And Yellow Hope to draw strength from ...."

I'm Ponytails, a Twin Tail.
When I transform and take the ice, I shout," TAILS ON " !

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2012, 09:28:53 PM »
Skirts cover you hiney so much better than tights.  And, since they are loose, there is no sheerness from stretch. 
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »
I started off in skating tights (to prevent any jiggles and smooth things out) with tech yoga pants on top.  Then I started to fear getting my toe pick caught in a pant leg and switched to tights with Capezio or Danskin black leggings on top.  The leggings cover the top laces and bow of the boot and  I wear this most often.  Then I bought a black ballet wrap skirt to cover my bum but it turns out I feel fine with my booty uncovered.

After about 3 months of skating, I bought 2 black skating skirts (one unexpectedly short, one a perfect length) and started wearing two pairs of skating tights and the skirts a month or so before my first test to get used to the idea of parading around in flesh colored tights in public. (Which I did.)  But, I normally wear my tights and black leggings combo with nothing over my bottom.

On top, I always wear a black or gray long sleeve t-shirt, a black or gray fitted tech long sleeve zip up jacket, and a black Patagonia Nano Puff vest on top.  The Nano has tons of pockets for my wallet, phone, and GoPro camera.

:-)
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2012, 10:54:41 PM »
I have most of my doubles (had them as a kid) and am 35.  I wear chloe noel pants (not the super frilly ones though.. lol  :angel:) and bodywrappers or mondor tights underneath.  When I was a kid i only wore dresses.  Now that I'm older I seem to care more about the cold.

Offline Charlii08

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2018, 03:03:01 AM »
Uh! I have been wearing Leggings for a very long time now but I started wearing skirts when I turned 13. I don’t know but this was some kind of a rule at my place. It was okay because I never liked wearing skirts that much. I like wearing shorts more than anything.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2018, 04:18:24 PM »
I like Se_Ku also.  Magicskate still has stock.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2018, 08:26:42 PM »
I started wearing OTB ChloeNoel black tights about a month ago.Before that I wore plain LL Bean stretch pants or stretch pants from Columbia Sportswear. I lost 40 lb and when I had to buy new clothes I decided to go the Chloe Noel route. I also have a pair of Fila tights that are my favorite, but not made anymore.   :'(