You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Custom Costumes  (Read 3209 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Custom Costumes
« on: June 02, 2019, 07:15:20 AM »
I just put up a post on Del Arbour and what the process is to make a full custom costume.

http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/2019/05/quality-in-motion-what-its-like-to-get.html

If you've had a full custom costume made, this us the thread to tell us about your experience
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline DressmakingMomma

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 24
Re: Custom Costumes
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 10:53:45 PM »
Can't comment about having a costume made but I can share my experiences of becoming a custom dressmaker.

I've been sewing since I was a teen and started making skating dresses about five years ago. Before that I had dabbled a bit in historical sewing, which I really enjoyed the challenge of. Sewing skating dresses was a bit tough to learn because it isn't the kind of sewing you can easily find classes for and other costumers tend to be secretive about their techniques. I found a fantastic facebook group with spandex sewers all across the globe and I truly appreciate their generosity in sharing knowledge.

I happened into a business very organically, after I made my own daughter's second skating dress (the first was awful) and people asked me where I had gotten it and then through word of mouth, I started picking up more and more skaters. I have never advertised, other than creating a Facebook page for my designs. I had done some alteration work during prom season prior to skate sewing but nothing too seriously. Making costumes helps to pay for my daughter's additional summer training and competition fees. I tried doing a bit of distance work by opening an etsy shop but I didn't feel like I could give the same attention as my local skaters, so now I only take local work.

My two favorite processes are dying fabric and applying crystals. The last few weekends I've had the pleasure of seeing nine of my dresses on the ice at a competition and an exhibition and it was really exciting to see a skater bring my hard work together with their hard work.