You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: What to expect for private lessons...  (Read 2384 times)

Offline jlspink22

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 9
What to expect for private lessons...
« on: June 03, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »
My 4.5 year old is in group lessons, but she's so little and groups are usually at lunch time/nap time (not the best), so I contacted the head of the local skating club to see about private lessons.

He is going to evaluate my daughter for potential. YIKES. She's pretty good for a little kid (Basic 2 and then some), I just hope she doesn't flake that day.

So what do I tell her in prep, nothing? Just tell her we are meeting a coach to see what she can do?
What if his rates are sky high, do I ask him for a lower level coach in his club?

Clueless momma here.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: What to expect for private lessons...
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 05:00:15 PM »
You may want to look at the Dan Hollander (US Bronze `96) post on this.
http://danhollander.com/private-instruction/
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 10:11:40 PM »
Great article Agnes - thanks for sharing :)

Does your daughter like the coaches she's had in group class? If so, is she able to take lessons with that coach?

Evaluating for potential does sound a bit scary haha! I wonder if that's for placement with the proper coach or to see if he wants to take her on as a student??

Fwiw, at the rinks closest to me you can ask the skating director for a recommendation or ask that coach directly if they are available for lessons

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 12:34:03 AM »
I think in this instance, potential really refers to the possibility of a good working relationship between the coach and skater - it has little to do with your daughter's talent or skating level.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 10:06:39 AM »
We have been at two rinks so far. The directors at each of them are older ladies, and based on experience (not going into detail), it's usually not a good fit for my very strong willed daring child. Her group classes shuffle teachers frequently.

Now club director is a man and my daughter does well with male teachers or women teachers who have a no BS attitude. So we shall see how they mesh.

He said he watches the kids during group lessons and then will look for those with potential, so that's how I took "evaluation."

We are going Wednesday for a first meeting.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 01:26:46 AM »
How did it go? :)

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 08:51:36 AM »
Well I am happy to report that the private lesson went really well. She does have to break in her skates some more since she was a little stiff, but you can tell the difference between here and group lessons. I going to email the coach and see where to go from here. He wants to build her a program to music.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 05:30:44 PM »
Yay! Glad to hear it went well!

Offline Twizzler

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 02:24:13 PM »
The Dan Hollander article is excellent. All parents should check it out.

I would think twice about someone who wants to evaluate potential in a four year old. I once tried to refer a kid I had been coaching to a more experienced coach that I respected. I felt she was reaching the maximum level I could realistically coach. His response was that she was already 8 years old and no axel, so he would give her lessons but wasn't enthusiastic. I made the referral to someone else and lost respect for the guy as well. Few kids have inate "talent", but they can still benefit from lessons. besides learning to skate, lessons for a child so young should stress fun, working at something pays off in results, goal setting (all adapted to the childs age), etc. Not every child will make it to Nationals or even regionals, but they all can learn valuable life skills thru skating, not to mention fitness, posture, confidence, etc.

Any parent thinks their child's coach is great, so asking parents may not be valid. Instead watch the coach interact with their students. At our rink, one guy is constantly yelling (angryly and in two languages)--I would never recommend him on that basis alone. Sometimes you do have to yell, but it should not be frequent, nor should it be derrogatory or sound angry. Another coach occasionally yells, but often he is yelling technique reminders, encouragement or kudos for a good element or good effort. His skaters are always smiling when they talk with him. This is the guy I'd want my kid to work with.

Offline jlspink22

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 10:00:00 PM »
Well the coach we met with seemed very genuine and complimented my daughters personality. She loved going and is very attentive the entire time which my husband thinks is worth the money over group lessons where she's just another kid. We've dabbled in many activities in the last year and she actually wants to be there on the ice.so we just take it week by week.

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 11:14:01 PM »
It sounds like it is going well. I'm so glad! :)