You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Crosscuts vs Crossovers  (Read 3891 times)

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Crosscuts vs Crossovers
« on: May 24, 2014, 07:45:57 AM »
I've seen some videos lately where someone is doing what looks like a crossover, and the narrator or title calls it a 'crosscut'.

i'm quite willing to accept there's different names for the same thing (witness 'shoot the duck' vs 'teapot') but where is crosscut used for crossover? UK vs US? Hockey vs Figure skating?

Or are they completely different but superficially look alike?
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
Re: Crosscuts vs Crossovers
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 01:39:03 PM »
I've never worked out what the difference is when going forward, but the synchro coach insists that slidy back crossovers are called crosscuts and the lift the foot up variety are crossovers. I would say they were both crossovers and I just need to be told whether I'm lifting my foot or sliding (sliding gets power but he thinks lifty looks great if the whole team get a change in height at the same time).
But he's the only person I've ever heard define them, and I never normally hear anyone talking about crosscuts in the UK (and I'm sure it says crossovers in the moves test manual).

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »
Sorry fsk8r the NISA field moves manual uses the term crosscut throughout! I had to ask my coach as it wasn't a term I'd ever heard of before: we call them crossovers here!! It states: "The term "crosscut" is the equivalent of a crossover".

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 04:22:41 PM »
One more skating mystery solved by the Skatingforums community!
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 05:40:21 AM »
Sorry fsk8r the NISA field moves manual uses the term crosscut throughout! I had to ask my coach as it wasn't a term I'd ever heard of before: we call them crossovers here!! It states: "The term "crosscut" is the equivalent of a crossover".

Thanks taka! Shows how much attention I pay to the manual.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 10:57:42 AM »
I only noticed when we looked at the FM manual in my lesson recently and I sheepishly had to ask my coach what a crosscut was! ;D