You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Is this normal?  (Read 4329 times)

Offline WaltzJump413

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 181
Is this normal?
« on: May 22, 2014, 11:44:15 AM »
I've been working on the two-foot spin for quite awhile now, I have to have 6 revolutions for my FS 1 test (in early June.)

I used to do about 3 or 4. But for the past two lessons, I've been able to get 6 and sometimes even 7 or 8. In fact, last night in class, I was feeling confident and getting revolutions. They were probably the best I've done, and I could pretty consistently get good ones.

After group class, I started practicing on the public session. For the first 10-15 minutes, I was pretty much okay.

But later on, I just couldn't spin. I would get 3 slow revs at the most and it didn't feel right at all. I tried and tried, but just couldn't do it.

Will I ever spin again? Is it gone for good? I can't figure out how I went from feeling really confident and like I finally "got" it to barely having it at all.

I think it might be related to test anxiety, as I have only one more lesson before the test and haven't been feeling too strong on what I need to test.

Thanks in advance!
ISI Freestyle 2 as of 11/3/14

"A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." – Albert Einstein

"I can do all things through Christ Who gives me strength."- Philippians 4:13

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 01:15:22 PM »
Did you ever read the Isaac Asimov short story where a wizard makes something spin faster and faster until it uses up all the magic?

You did the same thing.

No one will ever spin again at your rink!

---

Sometimes if I try too hard at something, I can't make it work. Like, I need muscle tension to make stuff work skating, but I also need to relax. Totally contradictory, but somehow true. And, some days, nothing works.

Offline fsk8r

• Sharp Skates
  • Total GOE: 49
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 01:55:49 PM »
If you've done it once you can do it again. I've learnt this year to just trust myself. I've been having to do a change foot spin in my program. In practice it's hit and miss. Sometimes it works and sometimes I don't get the change right. I've learnt that when the music gets put on it seems to work. Partly it's doing it in the context of the program, but even that doesn't always work without the music. But when it matters it works. I've even told my coach to not mention it because so far in the 3 competitions I've done, I've pulled the spin out the bag.
You've just got to have a little faith in your self.
I can break things getting stressed as well as the next person, but I'm starting to learn to relax and trust. If you've done the work, it'll be there when you need it. And after all it's only skating, it's not as if you've got a raise at work depending on the test!

Offline Live2Sk8

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 29
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 02:02:14 PM »
I would chalk it up to test anxiety.  I've had that happen to me many times!  My weaker side mohawk disappeared on me for a month before a test.  I finally got it back to where it was good enough to pass, but the day after the test, it was back to where it should have been.  Good luck!

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 03:13:46 PM »
Totally normal!

Everybody has skills that like to go missing sometimes. I also think that as you grow as a skater, sometimes it takes a while for you to reach equilibrium with all your skills. What I mean is that as you get faster, or you get more stable or deeper edges or more power, maybe you're pushing into your spins differently, and your technique hasn't quite caught up to the new stuff you're throwing at it, even though it's a skill you "have".

And 6 revs for a 2-foot spin? I don't think I've done that ever!
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 04:20:02 PM »
I agree... this is totally normal.

We all have moments when something you have been working on all of the sudden disappears. My axel did this for a long time, still does it every once in a while. Like what most people have been saying, you are probably simply trying to hard. It seems silly but putting a bit of extra energy to "try to make it prefect" sometimes results in it throwing your technique off completely. What you really need to try to do is see what felt different between when it works and when it doesn't work. In my case, it is 95% of the time my shoulder alignment.

My coach always says if something that has been working for you disappears it is time to recompose. Actually, when something disappears for me, I go to the boards and really go through the different steps in my head trying to find what was wrong. Sometimes you find the mistake, other times you just have to tell yourself what you coach has been telling you. Sometimes you just need a friendly reminder from yourself.

Long story short, it will come back, but don't stress about it.
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 07:43:53 PM »
Thank you so much for the advice, everyone! You guys are awesome. :)

No one will ever spin again at your rink!

I'm starting to feel better about trying again...if they let me, since I've apparently doomed the whole rink population to not spinning. ;)

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2014, 12:13:21 AM »
This is totally normal. Spins, especially, will go MIA if you practice them for too long in one session. Your spin will most likely be back the next time you skate. When your spins start to fall apart, that's your signal to move on, let it go, & work on something else.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 08:40:02 AM »
Thanks phoenix; good to know! :)

Offline kr1981

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 09:22:34 AM »
Totally normal!

I find this happens most often when:

1. I start overthinking the maneuver, or putting too much pressure on myself to get it right instead of just trusting myself and simply going at it.
2. When it's near the end of the session and I feel like I still have energy, but really, I'm physically exhausted.
3. I've done something strenuous the day before and my muscles are very fatigued.

Mostly #1. Sometimes when you're under pressure (i.e. preparing for a test, or even just pressure you put yourself under), you can start overthinking everything and focusing almost TOO much without even realizing it--instead of just trusting your body to go with the flow, like it has done before. I'm sure your spin will come back. :)

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 10:47:37 AM »
Completely normal! 

Most skills come and go, sometimes without a reason (like an upcoming test or being tired...)  It is very frustrating when you first experience this phenomenon.  As you progress, you will see a pattern of this "disappearance" and "reappearance" and will let it go, knowing that the skill will come back.  The key is to move away from the element that is not working, because you can start building incorrect muscle patterns and those are hard to break. 

As my coach puts it, this is ice skating:-)

Offline TreSk8sAZ

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 42
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 11:04:55 AM »
Ha, completely normal.

My coaches (primary and dance) and I know that I WILL have one pre-competition or pre-test meltdown where things that I can do without thinking will all of a sudden disappear. No rhyme or reason to what skills go, or when, but at some point within two weeks of a test or competition it will happen. Depending on how crazed I'm making myself, we will either push through it or move on and do something completely different (even if it means not doing a complete run through of a test or program that day).

This year it was Ten Fox. I've been doing back progressive - swing roll for years. Literally years. Then, all of a sudden, I was in tears because I could NOT do it. Then I tried harder, made it worse, then tried even harder.

Then, as magically as it all left, it reappears the next day or so. I just accept it was a bad day, relax, and move on.

I also agree that if you'd done a number of them in the session, you may not have realized that your muscles were tired and that can make a huge difference as well.

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 06:15:00 PM »
Thank you so much, everyone! You're so much help.  :D

I skated again today, and the spin seemed to be returning somewhat. I'm more hopeful now. :)

Offline skatezilla

• Searching for my back edges
  • Designated Spinner
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 11:15:41 PM »
I have many skills that regularly go on vacation. Right now it's left inside three turns.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 03:39:51 PM »
Did you ever read the Isaac Asimov short story where a wizard makes something spin faster and faster until it uses up all the magic?

Oops. It wasn't Asimov.

It was Larry Niven's  "The Magic Goes Away". It is a real classic, and I loved it. I also love the way it relates to our sport.

The next book "The Magic May Return" offered hope for the future.

May it return for thee!

How did your test go?

Offline WaltzJump413

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 08:37:01 PM »
Oops. It wasn't Asimov.

It was Larry Niven's  "The Magic Goes Away". It is a real classic, and I loved it. I also love the way it relates to our sport.

The next book "The Magic May Return" offered hope for the future.

May it return for thee!

How did your test go?

I haven't tested yet--it will be in early June. Definitely feeling more confident about it, but we'll see.  Thank you for the encouragement!

skatezilla--I hope your left 3-turn returns soon! Those pesky 3-turns...  ;)