You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: tailbone pain and ice skating  (Read 17532 times)

Offline MARIATREK

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 0
tailbone pain and ice skating
« on: April 06, 2015, 10:46:03 AM »
Hello!

I was just wondering if anyone here in this forum have ever experienced tailbone injury due to fall on the ice. I fell on my tailbone on 2008 .It was not broken ,the doctor did not see anything serious in the x ray. I was in pain and for the first days, only confortable in prone position but soon i recovered. Throughout these years, i started running, cycling and kung fu classes (were we were carrying on another on our backs and not even a slight pain ...) , i fell of my bike numerous times -not on the tailbone- and i did not have EVER any problem with my coccyx. Recently i started pole dancing and last Monday while i was with the head down and legs on the pole, the instructor told us to shift our body (without holding the pole, the power should come from the abdominals) i pressed the tailbone against the pole and it hurt , the felling was like you are constantly pressing a bruise. Not extreme pain but annoying. I think that i did not do the move correctly, i suppose that you don't suppose to have your tailbone in contact with the pole...Anyway, i was so sad and of course i will not continue pole dancing. But the problem is that after the class i went for just an hour of ice skating to see if this pain affects skating, and yes it did....I was very careful while skating, i didn't fall but my taibone was in pain. Now the pain is gone after rest but i don't know what to do with ice skating....I have ordered a tailbone protector..but seriously i don't know if it is good to continue....

Thank you for reading this!

Offline PhysicsOnIce

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 292
Re: tailbone pain and ice skating
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »
I think most skaters will tell you that tail bone injuries, whether a break, fracture or a  bruise is quiet common in skating. I myself spent two months sitting on a donut because of a direct fall on the tail bone. If the pain is still causing you troubles afterthe usual at home ttreatment, it might be worth visiting a doctor. Wishing you a speedy recovery
Let your heart and soul guide your blades

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 01:27:41 PM »
@mariatrek the coccyx can also shift and just need to be mobilized back into alignment.  There are physical therapists that can do this but I will say not all really can and not all will.  Any time you fall on your coccyx, it's good to check this.  It may have been out of alignment since your fall but not much of an issue until you got into some position on the pole, that set things off.

Where do you live?  I might be able to give you some names of PT's that have been trained in this and you could ask if they do it.
Working on Silver MITF and Bronze Freestyle

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 06:18:57 PM »
I fell on the ice several years ago, and still have significant pain in certain situations. The most trouble for me is sitting on semi-soft cushions, or on the edge of the bed in the morning when I'm putting on socks.

Like you, an X-ray showed no broken bones. But something's still going on.
Bill Schneider

Offline littlerain

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 09:58:33 PM »
I think tailbone injuries are one of those things that can bother just about anything! I fell and hurt my tailbone recently and a number of activities (even normal everyday ones!) bothered it - and it took a few weeks to recover.

I don't think that entire activities need to be avoided because of it unless doctors /pt have a reason to. And there's always modifications to exercises if you have an injury of some kind. Or just avoiding the specific moves that cause pain, etc

Offline MARIATREK

• Rink Rat
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 09:47:18 AM »
@mariatrek the coccyx can also shift and just need to be mobilized back into alignment.  There are physical therapists that can do this but I will say not all really can and not all will.  Any time you fall on your coccyx, it's good to check this.  It may have been out of alignment since your fall but not much of an issue until you got into some position on the pole, that set things off.

Where do you live?  I might be able to give you some names of PT's that have been trained in this and you could ask if they do it.

I am greek, i live in Athens Greece....We do have chiropractics and physiotherapists working with Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation or Bowen Technique but i don't think that they deal with coccyx alignment. I have went to the chiro for my waist and neck but he did these forceful movements were you hear a ''crack'' .As i have seen on you tube there is a special treatment for the coccyx like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKiP-jYVZUY but i am afraid that i cannot find somebody here...

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 05:52:42 PM »
I'm not specifically familiar with the Bowen Technique.  PNF is awesome but it deals with movement patterns, not mobilization.  (Although movement patterns can be used to facilitate mobilization.)

I put in a query with my mentor for a PT in Athens that does his techniques.  There were no therapists certified in their techniques on their website.  We'll see.

It's a little scary that video you shared is out there for the public.  I hope no one who is not educated in mobilization tries it!!

I'll let you know if I hear back about anyone in your part of the world.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 09:03:53 PM »
Bone bruises can be excruciatinly painful and sometimes last for years.

http://www.md-health.com/bone-bruise.html

http://www.iskinstitute.com/kc/leg/bone_bruises/bone_bruises.html
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline MARIATREK

• Rink Rat
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 09:50:37 AM »
Thank you very much , but i don't understand why you said that the video is scaring.It is not forceful nor painful for the patient.It is a tailbone alignment with hands.I thought that you would recommend me a physiotherapist like him. Do you have some particular technique in mind?
I'm not specifically familiar with the Bowen Technique.  PNF is awesome but it deals with movement patterns, not mobilization.  (Although movement patterns can be used to facilitate mobilization.)

I put in a query with my mentor for a PT in Athens that does his techniques.  There were no therapists certified in their techniques on their website.  We'll see.

It's a little scary that video you shared is out there for the public.  I hope no one who is not educated in mobilization tries it!!

I'll let you know if I hear back about anyone in your part of the world.

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 11:29:47 AM »
Oh no, I meant it is scary to think that someone who isn't trained might try to follow the video and mobilize the coccyx (without knowing what they are doing).  Nothing wrong with the technique itself!!

Offline MARIATREK

• Rink Rat
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2015, 08:42:59 AM »
Oh no, I meant it is scary to think that someone who isn't trained might try to follow the video and mobilize the coccyx (without knowing what they are doing).  Nothing wrong with the technique itself!!

Ah! sure, i agree, imagine somebody unskilled doing that...terrible! :o i wish i knew this technique and do it myself  ;D. Βy the way, what i find relieving both for the tailbone and for waist soreness is to hang from a horizontal bar holding the bar with hands and much better upside down holding the bar with the back of the knees. It is amazing, at least for me! As i don't have it at home, i go at the playground !

Offline rd350

• Glides at Will
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 12:25:01 AM »
Well I do know the technique but you really can't do it on yourself!  I am able to make some small adjustments with a 2" foam roller but it's not going to put things back where it belongs fully!