You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Now what?  (Read 3379 times)

Offline TheWriterInBlack

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 12
Now what?
« on: March 16, 2020, 03:42:58 PM »
I figured it was coming but I just got an email that the local rink was closing today for the current "emergency."

Yeah, I get it.  That doesn't change that it's frustrating, particularly where I am in my learning.  I haven't been at it long enough to have really "cemented" my skills in place and even short layoffs have lead to backsliding.  So now I'm wondering how much of the "muscle memory" I'm going to lose before I can get back on the ice again.

So now I need to figure out what I can do to keep myself at least somewhat in condition for when I can go back to skating. 

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: Now what?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 04:16:24 PM »
That happens every year at my seasonal rink. You WILL lose momentum if you are not on the ice regularly. There are a lot of us in that boat right now.

Twenty years ago, I purchased PIC skates (rockered inlines) that feel somewhat similar to figure skates. I skated in them at a roller-rink during the off-season. They really helped, but they are different enough to need some adjustment in technique. Having more friction, they are very good for maintaining muscle tone.
Bill Schneider

Offline tstop4me

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 196
  • Conserve Angular Momentum
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 04:38:56 PM »
That happens every year at my seasonal rink. You WILL lose momentum if you are not on the ice regularly. There are a lot of us in that boat right now.

Twenty years ago, I purchased PIC skates (rockered inlines) that feel somewhat similar to figure skates. I skated in them at a roller-rink during the off-season. They really helped, but they are different enough to need some adjustment in technique. Having more friction, they are very good for maintaining muscle tone.
Do the PIC wheels hold up on asphalt?  Assuming I can find a roller rink anymore, I'm assuming that if ice rinks are closed, roller rinks are closed also (and even if they were open, it's best to stay clear).  That leaves practice on empty asphalt-paved parking lots (plenty around in my area with all the schools closed).

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 370
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 06:34:25 PM »
Plan on exchanging the wheels for a harder durometer set to reduce wear. The standard PIC skate wheels are soft for grip on smooth rink floors and wear easily outdoors. The wheel size is a common one, so just look at online skating retailers for a harder durometer version.

I can't recall the durometer of wheels that I used indoors - sorry.
Bill Schneider

Offline Loops

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 112
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 04:11:25 AM »
Mine are doing OK, but I haven't used them as much as I'd like.  Iconsider wheel replacement to be like sharpening though- it must be done.  The rougher the surface, the more frequent the replacement.....  I like my pics and recommend them!  You'll want a second pair of boots though- you don't really want to be swapping out blades for mounts with any regularity.....

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 10:14:36 AM »
I've been going jogging a bit in mostly unpopulated areas recently.

It's not all the same muscles, but it is exercise.

A few years ago I tried PIK skates (they didn't seem to me very similar to ice figure skates, but maybe I'm not good enough to take full advantage). I also have inline and quad skates, and might try them again in mostly unpopulated areas.

I personally think that if you have any type of mask or scarf, it might be worth wearing it, so if you do pass anyone, and they sneeze or breath on you, fewer droplets will get in.