You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Requesting boot and blade advice  (Read 1594 times)

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
Requesting boot and blade advice
« on: January 30, 2012, 09:22:11 PM »
Greetings!

I am adult skater in need of new boots, and maybe new blades, and am looking for advice and guidance.

Here's the background on my abilities - all through my teens, I took group skating lessons once a week and got up to doing a nice flip, and lutz (and OK loop, salchow and toe loop; solid waltz jumps).  I could do an OK scratch pins, and weak sitspins (not much sit) and camels (slow, only a few rotations).  I never did any competetive skating, and my lessons focused on jumps and spins.

After about 25 years of rarely skating, I'm like to get back to skating at a similar level - group lessons and skating 1 or 2 addtional times a week.

Sometime in my teens, I got a pair of very good quality boots and blades.  The blades are Gold Stars (also labeled "Made in England" and "Sheffield Steel").  The boots are made by Oberhamer, and I'd guess that they're equivalent to some of the Riedell boots aimed at the competitive skaters (in the approximate $500 price range).

My foot seems to be both longer and wider than it was in my teens.  It's an extra narrow boot, and labeled as 6AA.  These days, I wear a medium width 7 or 7.5 street shoe (USA sizing).  I can wear the skates for skating if I lace them somewhat loosely, but they soon cause an ache in both arches, as I believe my foot is in a too-arched position due the tightness of the boots.  It's definitely time for new boots.  (I know that boots can be stretched some, but I am guessing this is beyond the limits of stretching can reasonably do.)

When I was getting sized for boots and blades, the fitter deliberately put the maximum length blade on the boot, so that if my foot grew I could hopefully move the blade to new boots.  (They are labeled 9 2/3 on the sole plate.)  So, I might be able to re-use these blades.  (I've read various articles on how to tell if your blades are too worn or not, and these blades seem fine in that regard - they've only been sharpened a few times.)

When I look at all the choices available for boots and blades, I find the amount of choice overwhelming.  I also find it frustrating that that there are boots and blades listed for "intermediate" and "expert" skaters, but there are not definitions for what an "intermediate" or an "expert" is.

I found this interesting comment at www.faqs.org/faqs/sports/skating/ice/rec-skate/blades/:
   Top of the line blades are designed for very advanced skaters. Advanced
   free-style blades have a longer radius and have *large* toe picks. Also, the
   portion of the blade that is used for spinning is much shorter than on
   intermediate blades; that means that unless you are perfectly balanced and
   positioned going into and during the spin you will start rocking on the
   blade. Intermediate blades like the MK Professional, Coronation Ace, etc.
   provide you more "room" to make corrections and continue spinning even if
   you are slightly off balance.

This makes me wonder if I'd be better off in an intermediate blade - I'm definitely not a great a spinner.

I'd love to hear a variety of opinions on what I should look into.  I'd also like to hear about my options of both higher and lower price points.

Another thing I'm wondering about is have there been any significant changes in boot or blade technology in the past 25 years?  Is there any reason I should not even consider using my old blades, due to improvements in blades?  Are there some new boot or blade features that didn't exist 25 years ago?

There are two well regarded skate shops in my general area, and I expect that they can give me suggestions.  However, I am the sort of person who likes doing research before I head into stores.

I look forward to reading your advice and suggestions!

Cheers,
Cindy

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
Re: Requesting boot and blade advice
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 10:54:50 PM »
Hi Cindy!  Awesome that you are getting back into the sport.

It's great that you are have good skate shops in your area!  If you can, try on as many styles of boots as possible, as they will all fit your feet differently.  That said, I see most of the adult skaters in my area in Jacksons.

One thing I like as an adult skater is a 'v-notch'.  My old boots fit me better, but my new boots allow me to bend more, and on day 2 my sit spin was improved because I was able to bend at the ankle!  I don't think these were an option when I purchased my old boots ten years ago.

Gold stars are a pretty advanced blade from what I understand.  If you are already comfortable with the blade there is no need to spend extra cash!  I can give an example of one adult skater I spoke with this weekend, who said she was over bladed at one point and had better luck after "downgrading" her blade style.  However, she is working on salchows and one foot spins, so she is not as advanced as you are.

Can't wait to see what you end up with!

Offline irenar5

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 01:00:43 PM »
I would keep the same blade and try it out (especially, since there is still life left in it).    You can always switch to a different one later.  But, if you would rather try a new blade, I'd look into Ultima Matrix Legacy blade.  It is an intermediate blade, handles well on the ice.  The spin spot is definitely bigger, so that you can spin even if you are not perfectly centered.  I had the Legacy and went to Ultima Matrix Supreme (which is similar to your Gold Star).  I found the footwork to be much better- the toe pick is higher off the ice, so the turns are much cleaner).  Spins are FAST!  But there is less room for error, because the spins are so fast, a slight imbalance will  really send you travelling!  I think, though, once I am used to the blade, I will like it a lot!

As far as boots go....Well, there are a lot of choices. If you have an opportunity to try different manufacturers- that would be the best.  Riedells seem to fit people who have a fairly uniform foot heel-to-toe, and they are not very rounded in the toe. But they are a very well made boot with  great customer service!  Harlicks come in 2 different styles- narrow and wider toe box, so they can fit a wide range of feet.  Jacksons seem to fit similarly to Harlicks, but I have heard that the padding around the heel compresses and then the fit becomes loose. 
Anyway, Jacksons and Riedells are pretty popular, so perhaps try them first?   
Let us know what you have selected!!

Offline Sk8Dreams

• CER-B
  • Quintuple Salflutzchow
  • Total GOE: 70
  • On Edge
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 01:14:54 PM »
Boots have changed a lot since you got your current ones.  These days, figure skating boots are fairly heavily padded and cut much lower.  Most also have heat molded linings, which provide a better fit.  The degree of padding/stiffness you get in your new boots depends on your skill level and your weight.  Lightly padded boots will break down sooner, so if you are not petite and slim, you would need more padding; likewise with skating skills - more & bigger jumps require stronger boots.  Going only by what you have said about your skill level & aspirations, I would think a Jackson Freestyle boot, or something similar in another brand would be good for you.  Do not get a boot that is too long for your feet just to fit your old blades.  IMO, a good fit is the single most important factor in buying new boots.  A bad fitting boot will make you miserable and hold you back.  That said, if the blades work with the boots you choose, I see no harm in trying them, although I think you might do better with a Coronation Ace blade, given your level and comment about spins.  You could always switch later, if you felt frustrated with the Gold Stars, which are a very advanced blade that is usually not used until one has an axel and is working on doubles.
My glass is half full :)

Offline Robin

• Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 4
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 03:21:22 PM »
You know, just start from scratch. Don't re-use the old blades. There are so many options available these days. Just go to a good shop.