You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Ice show impressions  (Read 5616 times)

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
Re: Ice show impressions
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2012, 11:45:21 AM »
I thought you were allowed to not wear the tutu!?

It's true. The instructor announced in the last class that we could wear any skirt we wanted to, but some of the little girls wanted to wear the tutu. He said they could if he wanted to, but also to bring a scarf to wear. "A pink or purple one!" said one of the teenage helpers.

Well, I wore my basic black skirt that I wore for my test, but brought the tutu along just in case, and two purple scarves, in case someone forgot one. Well, almost no one brought a scarf, so that was nixed. And in the end, I was the only one who was wearing something other than the tutu. I knew it'd look horrible that way, and that I'd probably attract more attention to myself if I wore something different. A friendly adult skater/coach who was monitoring the doors to the dressing rooms helped boost my confidence, and I went out in it after all.

When I first arrived for the event, I passed the skating director in the hallway and she apologized for the tutu, saying she had no idea there was an adult in the class. It was a really nice gesture. One of the things I really appreciated about the whole experience, was that nobody treated it like it was supposed to be the big time. They ran the thing smoothly and professionally, but were very down to earth about their expectations.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 05:27:25 PM »
It's true. The instructor announced in the last class that we could wear any skirt we wanted to, but some of the little girls wanted to wear the tutu. He said they could if he wanted to, but also to bring a scarf to wear. "A pink or purple one!" said one of the teenage helpers.

Well, I wore my basic black skirt that I wore for my test, but brought the tutu along just in case, and two purple scarves, in case someone forgot one. Well, almost no one brought a scarf, so that was nixed. And in the end, I was the only one who was wearing something other than the tutu. I knew it'd look horrible that way, and that I'd probably attract more attention to myself if I wore something different. A friendly adult skater/coach who was monitoring the doors to the dressing rooms helped boost my confidence, and I went out in it after all.

When I first arrived for the event, I passed the skating director in the hallway and she apologized for the tutu, saying she had no idea there was an adult in the class. It was a really nice gesture. One of the things I really appreciated about the whole experience, was that nobody treated it like it was supposed to be the big time. They ran the thing smoothly and professionally, but were very down to earth about their expectations.
I see. At least they were nice about it :)
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 08:36:29 PM »
I went to my old rink for the Christmas show and got to skate out with my co-coach and the toddlers. So I got to be a part of the show after all :) Super fun. The difference between this show and the one at my old rink is night and day. My old rink is more of an exhibition. The highlight of the show was one of the coaches proposing to his girlfriend.

Not much could top that after.

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 08:44:56 PM »
Awwwww!!! I initially thought it was the other guy though! Because there's a guy who's there from the beginning who's not in blue and much taller than everyone. Then the proposing guy came out and I was like huh?
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 08:52:50 PM »
Awwwww!!! I initially thought it was the other guy though! Because there's a guy who's there from the beginning who's not in blue and much taller than everyone. Then the proposing guy came out and I was like huh?

Haha yeah. :) The first guy helped the one proposing put it together. Not sure why he wasn't wearing one of the blue shirts though. The shirts said "Aiken & Co." because his fiance LOVES Tiffany.

It was well orchestrated, too, because the girl had NO idea it was happening that night. He then skated to All I want for Christmas is you at the end of the show with her out there.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2012, 12:44:26 AM »
The difference between this show and the one at my old rink is night and day. My old rink is more of an exhibition. The highlight of the show was one of the coaches proposing to his girlfriend.

Haha that was really sweet ;)  I was wondering why was she on the ice?

Just got the ice show photo previews. Not surprised that I am barely in the group photo shots, lol. Sometimes you become invisible in a group. My friend once bought the DVD for the group performance and allegedly was not able to find himself...