You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Do you keep your skating a secret?  (Read 6825 times)

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
Do you keep your skating a secret?
« on: October 24, 2012, 11:28:08 AM »
Not many people know that I skate. Only my family, plus some of my friends. My co-workers don't know about it.

I try to keep my skating a secret as much as I can. I skate in a rink that is pretty far from where I live and work, so the chance of meeting someone I know there is slim (although it has happened before). I feel that as long as I keep my skating a secret from most people, the rink will always be a sanctuary for me.

Aside from that, I would avoid being teased for not being able to do triples or do fast spins. I don't have friends who are serious figure skating fans, and their primary exposure to figure skating would be at the Olympic level. They wouldn't appreciate the effort it took me to get a 3-turn.  ;D

What about you?

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Re: Do you keep your skating a secret?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 11:59:53 AM »
Shakes hands with another undercover skater.

They know I skate, it's impossible to hide if one spins or stretches while waiting in front of the copier.

I'm hiding how much I actually skate.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:08:09 PM »
Most people know I skate.  I am a stay at home mom so I am often asked what I do withi my time.  :)

I do feel the need to preface any discussion about my skating with the fact I have skated my whole life.  Nt sure why I do this really.  I did it just the other day telling a mom at the school yard.  I don't feel the need to explain about my husband taking up curling, why do I need to explain why I skate?

It is kind of odd that we feel we kind of need to keep our skating a secret, or in my case explain it.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 01:38:57 PM »
Nope. Not at all. When I started my job, I was very open with my boss about how much I skate and when I need to leave work to coach (and that I get to the office early to compensate) and that if this was a problem, she needed to tell me then. The people who work for me obviously know since I leave early and change into tights before I head out. Other colleagues know, a few of them know because I coach the daughter of one of the people in the office. Overall, it is pretty well known that I skate and coach and spend an obnoxious amount of time and money on it. But, in my field, it is good to have an outlet and something to help you find balance, and that's what I have found.

Offline Janie

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 45
    • Jumps and falls of an adult figure skater
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 06:50:38 PM »
Nope not at all either. All my friends and family know. Or at least they would know if they wanted to care that much, as I post it on facebook often enough lol. I love it so much that I just want to share it with everyone. I've posted less on facebook now though since I started my own blog and joined this forum. It's nicer to share with people who actually understand what you're talking about!
The only person I would prefer not to find out is my lab advisor. I don't want him to know that I get up earlier to go skating but don't go to lab earlier  :P

I've never gotten teased about it either. The one and only time I got a bit annoyed was from this slightly know-it-all guy. He thought I just skated around. When I said that I actually have a private coach and can do spins and jumps, he asked if I could do a triple axel. I don't think he meant it out of malice though, like teasing if I was going to the Olympics. I was just annoyed that he acted like he knew all about figure skating when apparently he doesn't have much of a clue. I probably would be going to the Olympics if I could do a triple axel!
My figure skating blog! http://janieskate.blogspot.com/

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 08:02:33 PM »
I don't really keep it a secret, but I try not to bring it up. It's a little embarrassing to admit I do it six days a week, especially when other people my age go out all the time and drink and spend money on stuff like Coach bags. Admitting that I am always busy with skating or figure skating club stuff and that I put most of my spare money into skating makes me feel like an oddball.

Most of my co-workers know. After I passed my pre-bronze MITF and FS tests, I emailed all the people in my office to tell them. I'd left early to take the test and they all wished me luck and were supportive. Or so I thought. One of my co-workers forwarded my email to someone else and said "Have you ever seen someone so full of herself?" Only, she accidentally included me.

It was awful. I confronted her, we both cried, she apologized and said it was more about her and wishing she was young and living life to the fullest again than me. I forgave her...mostly. She no longer works with me, and we haven't talked in almost a year.

So after that, I've tried to keep tests and competitions on the down low, but people ask me about them anyway.

Most people are very supportive. Most adults I know can barely inch around the rink on skates, so I don't get the "What, no triples?" kinds of comments.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 08:07:42 PM »
Everyone knows that I skate and I am involved with a couple skating clubs.  I don't really talk too much about the details though.

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 08:44:04 PM »
I try to only talk about work while at work.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 09:23:13 PM »
Most of my coworkers know and the ones that didn't found out when I was sporting the cast.  Family and friends all know.  I do post on FB when I go and if I break anything.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:30:25 PM »
I wouldn't say it's a secret, but I also don't go out of my way to say much about it, much in the same way that a lot of people don't talk about whatever activity it is they do to stay in shape.  If someone asked I certainly wouldn't mind sharing more.

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 12:41:33 AM »
Like SarahSpins I don't go out of my way to advertise it but my friends/close colleagues all know its something I'm interested in/do on a regular basis...

If they are a skater they know not to ask about triples, I used to work with a guy who played ice hockey to a high level, occasionally he used to ask how it was going & what I had got up to learning and asked if I'd learnt a thing or 2 but he know how hard jumps are and would never ask anything like that.

If they aren't a skater they are so ignorant they wouldn't even know what a triple was!

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2012, 02:34:45 AM »
Nope. Everyone on Facebook knows, at least. I even showed them a video of my wobbly crossovers.  8) They thought it was awesome, which I found hilarious.   :sweat

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2012, 07:47:18 AM »
Everyone knows I skate. I take leave to go skate. It's a hobby.

Then the other day we were chatting about our parents and one of the guys was talking about how frail and hunched his mother had become--then he pointed out she was my age. And then one of the department heads came to speak to me--he's 5 years younger than I am--and when we got to talking about retirement, he pointed out how he didn't expect to live that long after retirement 'because unlike you I never took good care of myself'. 

I'm in very good shape for my 60's what with all the skating, weight lifting, and flexibility training. If it wasn't the fact my jaw line is just a little saggy and I need to lose some weight, I'd pass easily for 40 or younger. As it is, I pass for low 50's.

I don't know if I'd been in this good a shape if I didn't have skating to motivate me.

So, am I a secret skater? No. I don't make a big deal at work about it. If any one is making rude comments about me behind my back, they don't reach my ears. It would take a lot of stupidity to say something to my face. (Every one in my office has a nickname; mine is 'honey badger', that should tell you something)
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2012, 09:49:34 AM »
One of my co-workers forwarded my email to someone else and said "Have you ever seen someone so full of herself?" Only, she accidentally included me.

Oops...major gaffe. I'm glad you were able to sort it out with her.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2012, 03:12:47 PM »
No secret here... I told my friends early on and after breaking my wrist within a couple of months of starting I think half of my work collegues know! My brother has been skating with me (though not for a while) and my parents mostly find it hilarious I started skating again!

I'm not sure folks really understand what exactly I do on the ice though...  88) :P Half think I just skate round in circles and the other half ask if I'm doing triple axels! Trying to explain I do dance makes everyone think of the teeny little girls being hoisted in the air in improbable positions like on Dancing on ice. As I'm rather overweight and no-one could lift me without a crane this just confuses people even more!  ;) :P
:nvm:

Offline Gabby on Ice

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 3
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
I try to keep my skating a secret. I don't talk about it much; only my family and some of my friends know. The people I work with don't know that I skate.

Offline emitche

• Homologating Quadrubles
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 07:22:04 PM »
I don't keep it a secret but I don't broadcast it either. I sneak away from my office with a big duffel bag and come back to my office a bit sweaty three times a week. No one asks me about it.

I don't find it to be a love I can share with other people though. Either people are super afraid of ice skating or they go skating once a year. So it's a hobby I do quite alone and that is perfectly okay.

I'm currently a graduate student teaching one college course. And my rink is the college's rink. I'd be pretty embarrassed if one of my students or colleagues saw me on the ice in spandex and a skirt.
Adult Pre-bronze Moves (Oct 16)
Adult Bronze Moves (May 18)

Offline lilicedreamer

• Skate Nation
  • Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2012, 07:57:22 PM »
I am currently not skating because of injuries.  I may or may not go back.  I have to tell you, I'm an adult skater in my 50's and that changes a lot of things for injuries.  It is also hard to tell others why I have a hobby that is commonly thought of as being for children!  So far I have not found it necessary to hide my skating.  But I don't like to talk about it now.  The 52 k I paid for my wrist is still on my mind, as well as the  prolonged recovery period!  I don't think I'll tell many people if I go back.  They'll all question the wisdom of risking another injury.  But in  my mind, it would be as easy to be injured on a bicycle or rowing, etc.

Alexandra

Offline iomoon

• Needs a Helmet
  • Total GOE: 6
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »
I don't really keep it a secret, but I try not to bring it up. It's a little embarrassing to admit I do it six days a week, especially when other people my age go out all the time and drink and spend money on stuff like Coach bags. Admitting that I am always busy with skating or figure skating club stuff and that I put most of my spare money into skating makes me feel like an oddball.

Most of my co-workers know. After I passed my pre-bronze MITF and FS tests, I emailed all the people in my office to tell them. I'd left early to take the test and they all wished me luck and were supportive. Or so I thought. One of my co-workers forwarded my email to someone else and said "Have you ever seen someone so full of herself?" Only, she accidentally included me.

It was awful. I confronted her, we both cried, she apologized and said it was more about her and wishing she was young and living life to the fullest again than me. I forgave her...mostly. She no longer works with me, and we haven't talked in almost a year.

So after that, I've tried to keep tests and competitions on the down low, but people ask me about them anyway.

Most people are very supportive. Most adults I know can barely inch around the rink on skates, so I don't get the "What, no triples?" kinds of comments.

Geez... envy can really ruin some relationships. I'm glad most people were supportive, though!

Offline taichiskater

• Rink Rat
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 11:42:05 PM »
I don't keep it a secret either. My co-workers thought that after dislocating my shoulder, I'd be done with it, but I've gotten back in after the reccovery period. I do get asked by one person if I was going to do triple axels. Probably some superiority complex.

Offline Icicle

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 7
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 07:58:03 PM »
My coworkers know that I skate, only they don't realize what a fanatic I am. Some of my friends think I'm crazy, so I don't talk much about skating with them especially how I skated with a broken wrist or took my tests with a bronchitis. I guess only someone who loves skating can understand this kind of zeal. But if it makes me happy, why not?

Offline Rachelsk8s

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 23
  • I'm probably skating......
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 12:32:47 PM »
Definitely no secret here ;) My family, friends and co-workers know...I also leave right at the end of the school day to go to the rink, either to coach or skate or both!!  So they are used to seeing me leaving in skating clothes lol :) When I started up again as an adult, it was a little awkward admitting it to some as I definitely didn't have the same skills I did as a kid, but I've officially surpassed what I did as a child, which is a good feeling!!  I don't always bring it up, but since most people know they will often ask me questions.  VAsk8r, I completely know how you feel about your friends spending money on going out and buying Coach bags!!  That's how a lot of people my age I know are too, I just think of how much more I get out of skating than going out and wasting money at the bar lol well, maybe it has something to do with the fact that I don't really drink either :)

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
I am currently not skating because of injuries.  I may or may not go back.  I have to tell you, I'm an adult skater in my 50's and that changes a lot of things for injuries.  It is also hard to tell others why I have a hobby that is commonly thought of as being for children!  So far I have not found it necessary to hide my skating.  But I don't like to talk about it now.  The 52 k I paid for my wrist is still on my mind, as well as the  prolonged recovery period!  I don't think I'll tell many people if I go back.  They'll all question the wisdom of risking another injury.  But in  my mind, it would be as easy to be injured on a bicycle or rowing, etc.

Alexandra

Broke an ankle on ice at 59.
Two words "protective gear". Never skate without it. Now 61.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »
Broke an ankle on ice at 59.
Two words "protective gear". Never skate without it. Now 61.

would protective gear help prevent ankle injuries?

Offline AgnesNitt

• The ice doesn't care
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2012, 07:49:09 PM »
would protective gear help prevent ankle injuries?

Good point. Let me change that to

Four Words, "protective gear. better ice"  :D

Honestly, the ankle injury was a fluke. My blade caught in a rut.

What I wanted to say was, "Even though I had an injury, I came back"