You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Teaching materials by the boards?  (Read 1585 times)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
Teaching materials by the boards?
« on: July 14, 2012, 08:57:15 AM »
The USFS rule book is rather small in size. While it's probably ok for private lessons, I definitely found it way too small in group classes when everyone is at the boards. iPad was slightly better but still small.

I was able to print out some dance patterns on 12"x18" paper and will get them laminated so it's possible to write on them with dry erase markers. Not sure what is an elegant way of using them by the boards though. I've seen hockey teams hang a white board on the glasses, maybe it's possible to get a white board and use magnets to attach the pattern. Or use mini suction cups on the glass maybe?

If budget and equipment maintenance are not concerned, I'd say get a projector to display the patterns on the wall!

What other creative ways do you see to present teaching materials by the boards?

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
Re: Teaching materials by the boards?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 09:45:29 AM »
Amber Czisny would write on the hockey glass.

Offline MadMac

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 38
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 10:15:41 AM »
Use markers on the ice. Draw the hockey circles/lines in red, then draw the pattern in black.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »
Drawing dance patterns on ice would be a little tedious every time :)  Although I've been truly impressed how nicely some coaches draw, using markers or blades.

Offline turnip

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:46:19 AM »
I regularly see coaches consulting the NISA handbook with skaters in private lessons, either when starting working towards a new test, or to finetune the most important features of each elemetn as you get close to testing.

In group field moves lesson, it's usually drawing lines on the ice with their heel or a marker pen (better yet, getting the kids to draw crosses on the ice at the point where the edge starts for example)

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 10:27:13 AM »
On patch sessions our coaches just have a photocopy of the NISA test handbooks in A4 display books next to our music station at the side of the rink. Never seen anyone draw on the ice with anything other than a skate heel!

During our club session they hook metre or so long homemade (probably rink made!) contraption over the top of the plexiglass. It is part strong bent aluiminium sheet (shaped so it forms a full length hook to go over the top. This is then attached to an old piece of plexiglass. The back has a thickish piece of material attached which is folded over the back to go between the hook setup and the barrier plexiglass so it won't scratch it.

There are 2 big strong bulldog clips screwed to the front of it, each of which holds a copy of the A2(?) sized list of dances in order they will be played during the dance intervals.

Could you see if the rink will be ok with something like that? I'm sure you could do something similar though not as huge, heavy and bulky! If they are ok with a whiteboard for hockey they may be if it is being used during a supervised rink class.

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 12:11:50 PM »
Check w/ your rink before drawing on the ice. Some allow it, some don't. At my rink we may use washable/water based markers only.

Offline Query

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 113
    • mgrunes.com
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 02:05:50 PM »
I'd love to see a rink with mirrors behind the glass.  :)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 04:13:37 PM »
During our club session they hook metre or so long homemade (probably rink made!) contraption over the top of the plexiglass. It is part strong bent aluiminium sheet (shaped so it forms a full length hook to go over the top. This is then attached to an old piece of plexiglass. The back has a thickish piece of material attached which is folded over the back to go between the hook setup and the barrier plexiglass so it won't scratch it. There are 2 big strong bulldog clips screwed to the front of it, each of which holds a copy of the A2(?) sized list of dances in order they will be played during the dance intervals.

This sounds so interesting. Do you have a photo by any chance?

I'd love to see a rink with mirrors behind the glass.  :)

Ouch, extra dizzy for spins!!

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 01:26:59 AM »
I don't sorry... I'd take a photo but I won't be able to make a club session until mid August. :(