You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Lace bite-tips for getting rid of it?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Jenna

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 5
Lace bite-tips for getting rid of it?
« on: February 12, 2013, 07:23:52 PM »
So, I made the mistake of tightening one skate too tight in the ankle one session about a month ago.  Now whenever I skate, I have horrible pain in the front of that ankle.  I've tried using makeup pads and Bunga's lace bite sleeve to help alleviate the pressure but those seemed to make the pain worse.  Loosening the lacing hasn't helped, either.  Any pressure from the tongue causes pain even though I have lambswool centers. 

Does anyone  have any other ideas on how to alleviate the pressure on that spot so that it can heal?

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
Re: Lace bite-tips for getting rid of it?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 07:38:02 PM »
Ice it after every skate and keep using the Bungapads.  Change your laces and make sure that the skates haven't started to break down.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 09:18:13 PM »
I don't know the answer, but if you are in horrible pain every time you skate, you probably should not skate until you have healed or your boots are fixed.

Maybe you should post pictures of your boots, or visit an equipment or medical professional.

Offline Doubletoe

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 139
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 05:51:36 PM »
A few suggestions:

1) Use the clear round gel disks that are sold wherever you buy your Bunga pads.  You can put one under your ankle sleeve right where it hurts.

2) Modify your lacing to reduce pressure on the front of the ankle.  See attached photo at the bottom of this post (which shows laces in two different colors so you can see how the laces cross each other and come back to the same side before looping around the hooks).

3) See if you can add a strip of rubber on the front of the tongue to absorb the pressure from the laces.  The SP Teri KT2 boot comes with one: