You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Wrist guard recommendations, please  (Read 9596 times)

Offline lutefisk

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 153
    • On Thin Ice
Wrist guard recommendations, please
« on: April 24, 2012, 02:12:18 PM »
Hello:  First post here.  I'm at the six week mark after breaking an arm while working on a Mohawk combination.  I anticipate getting out of the cast in a week or two.  While I want to get back on the ice and pick up where I left off I don't want to immediately re-injury the arm!  What are the good vs not so good options in terms of wrist guards?  Thanks in advance.

Mod note: moved to Pro Shop since this is an equipment topic.

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
Re: Wrist guard recommendations, please
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 02:28:16 PM »
I researched this after my broken wrist almost three years ago, and came up with these:

http://www.snowboardsecrets.com/flexmeter_all_season_order_page.htm

They have a splint on both the top and the bottom, the top splint helps absorb the impact of a fall.  I've taken some doozies since getting back on the ice, especially the first few months, and I can attest to not having felt the fall *at all* with them on.  I don't wear them all the time anymore, mostly when working on axels and I'm likely to fall.  They do help take away the fear factor.

Downside is that they're a bit unwieldly-looking, personally I'm fine with sacrificing a bit of style in favor of not re-injuring myself!

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:02:56 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation.  The photo in your link looks like they'll do the job.  Did you have to order them or are they readily available at shops catering to snowboarders and/or in-line skaters?

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 03:49:33 PM »
I don't know if they're available in snowboard or inline shops.  I didn't try looking locally, but just went ahead and ordered.  They were very helpful when I was unsure of what size to get, and they arrived within a few days.

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 04:14:10 PM »
Thanks again.  I'll look into getting a pair of these.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 04:28:35 PM »
Sorry to hear about the accident, did you break the arm or the wrist?

I normally just get the cheapest inline skating wrist guards with splints that contour to hands.
Took hard falls on the wrists and they fare fine. One pet peeve is velcro getting loose when the guards are worn.

Offline Twizzler

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 09:46:11 PM »
I'd recommend you talk to your orthopedist. they should be able to make you a plaster or fiberglass splint, with proper alignment for your injury, that you can simply put on with an ace wrap.

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2012, 09:28:44 AM »
I broke the radius at the distal end (just before the wrist).  I'm currently in a short cast (it's nice to be able to move my elbow again!) and am hoping that my orthopedic surgeon will move me into a removable brace by the end of this month.  I'm not sure the typical post-cast brace will offer the required protection to prevent re-injury during a fall. 

Yes, I'll ask mt doctor for advise but since most surgeons don't skate I suspect that his advise will be somewhat generalized.  I work as a molecular biologist and this busted arm has really impacted my ability to function in the lab (can't pull on gloves so nothing that involves sterile technique: no gene array, cell culture, use of micro pipettes etc.)--I just can't risk another broken arm and hope to remain employed!  My choices are to either prevent another injury or hang up my skates.  I don't want to give up skating or working!  Thanks for the tips and specific guard recommendations.

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2012, 09:58:13 AM »
I broke the radius at the distal end (just before the wrist).  I'm currently in a short cast (it's nice to be able to move my elbow again!) and am hoping that my orthopedic surgeon will move me into a removable brace by the end of this month.  I'm not sure the typical post-cast brace will offer the required protection to prevent re-injury during a fall. 

FWIW, that's the exact injury I had (although they were calling it a "broken wrist"...whatever  88)).  3 weeks in a long cast, then 3 more in a short one, then 4 more off the ice just to allow it more time to heal.  Stupid 8 step mohawk.  How'd you break yours?

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 10:32:22 AM »
CCW 7 step Mohawk!  I don't know if I touched blades or just caught an edge--doesn't matter--it didn't end well!  I was 4 weeks in the long cast and have been 2 weeks in my shorty (so far).

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
Wow - sounds like that's a common injury on that pattern.  Maybe everyone should wear wrist guards for the first few practices/lessons?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 11:10:30 AM »
Wow - sounds like that's a common injury on that pattern.  Maybe everyone should wear wrist guards for the first few practices/lessons?

LOL...except this was by no means my first time through the 8 step.  I had been trying to pass Silver moves since they first implemented them, however many years ago that was now.  It used to be one of my stronger moves.  I haven't tried it since the injury (coming up on 3 years now), but I can guarantee that when and if I ever do, I'll be wearing both wrist guards.  (Actually contemplated a suit of armor, but knee bend probably goes right out the window in that case  :) )

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »

Not only that but I plan to wear some form of head protection when I get back to doing back inside and outside 3s--at least until I feel confident with the back edges.  They were kinda scary 30 years ago when I had better coordination!  I have a Bern multi-sport helmet but can anyone comment on the "ice-halo" (foam donut)?  I've looked at their web site but have yet to talk to anyone who's actually used one.  Yeah, I know--all this protective gear looks wonky but smacking your head on the ice just might spoil your whole afternoon...

PS:  don't know if I did the quote button thing correctly.  Apology in advance if I didn't.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »
Okay, sorry for the self promotion but here it is:

wrist guards

head protection

There's also posts on protection for hips, knees, and elbows too.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 04:09:40 PM »
I wear wrist guards every time I practice, it's not an option after seeing bad accidents happen.

I do have to take them off for partnered dance or high fives...

CCW 7 step Mohawk!  I don't know if I touched blades or just caught an edge--doesn't matter--it didn't end well!  I was 4 weeks in the long cast and have been 2 weeks in my shorty (so far).

What is 7 step mohawk? I could not find any information...

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2012, 08:36:54 AM »
Not only that but I plan to wear some form of head protection when I get back to doing back inside and outside 3s--at least until I feel confident with the back edges.  They were kinda scary 30 years ago when I had better coordination!  I have a Bern multi-sport helmet but can anyone comment on the "ice-halo" (foam donut)?  I've looked at their web site but have yet to talk to anyone who's actually used one.  Yeah, I know--all this protective gear looks wonky but smacking your head on the ice just might spoil your whole afternoon...

PS:  don't know if I did the quote button thing correctly.  Apology in advance if I didn't.

Ice Halo works very well for what it can do; some people find it warm to wear, but, that can be a plus in a cold arena. Variety of materials, you can go fluffy and pink or low-key and black microfibre.  It covers the areas that you are likely to "bounce off of", and it creates a sort of "bumper" around the head which can prevent you from hitting the parts not covered; think of it like those things they hang off of sailboats, they don't cover the whole boat, but, they do prevent other areas from getting in contact with the dock due to the distance that they maintain between boat and dock.

Ski helmets, etc etc etc aren't suitable for ice skating; they're not regulated (at least in Canada) so there is no guarantee of quality control in them, and they're not designed for skating. The best protection is still the regulated and perfectly safe hockey helmet. However,  as always (in depressed mode today) - it's not the impact of the head hitting the ice that causes the concussion, it's the impact of the brain hitting inside the skull that causes it. Thus, you're still going to get a concussion if you hit the ice wearing a helmet if you hit hard enough to cause a "concussive reaction" inside your skull ... 

RE the wrist brace. Tell your orthopod that you particpate in a sport that can cause you to land on your wrist.  They treat tons of skateboarders and gymnasts; the protection issue is the same as for skaters, so even if they don't know skaters, they can transfer the knowledge, and there are definitely wrist braces for skaters, gymnasts, etc - my DD wore one after a break, and it was very practical and effective. Up here at least, if a doctor prescribes it, we are far more likely to get it covered by our employee benefit plans - if we buy over the counter, we don't get covered except in very unusual cases.

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 04:27:15 PM »
I wear wrist guards every time I practice, it's not an option after seeing bad accidents happen.

I do have to take them off for partnered dance or high fives...

What is 7 step mohawk? I could not find any information...

The 7 step Mohawk combination is an element in the ISI's gamma level test.  Basically it starts out with three forward strokes on outside edges; the 4th step is the inside forward entry edge for the Mohawk, the 5th step is the complimentary back inside edge on the opposite foot.  The 6th step is the opposite foot back outside edge and the 7th and final step is a step around with the free skate to a forward outside edge.  Fairly straight forward but I was having trouble getting the CCW one to be consistently testable on the day I crashed and burned! 

Last fall, after deciding to come back to skating after 30+ years off the ice, I made myself start at the beginning to insure I have solid fundamentals.  Lots of skills are reporting back for duty but that CCW 7 step combo and I have some unfinished business...

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2012, 04:42:14 PM »
Thanks also to Agnes ans sk8tmum for your input.  I'm leaning towards the flexmeter wrist guards.  The Bern multi-sport helmet that I have does have a flat back side rather than the streamlined cycling style worn by Lance and the pro-peloton.  I'll start with that and look into an ice-halo.

Offline Doll

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2012, 02:52:02 AM »

FYI, since I just finished researching this until my eyes bled.  :P  (my mother's best friend suffered a massive brain injury and I'm a bit paranoid regarding helmet safety!)

I have come to the conclusion through a lot of research (since neither in the US nor Canada has helmets specifically designed for recreational ice skating or figure skating), that the safest option is not actually a hockey helmet, but a dual certified cycling/skating/skateboarding helmet.  A hockey helmet might do the job, but a regular skating helmet would probably be better, and a dual certified would be ideal.  A hockey helmet is not designed for a single high impact, but rather, multiple smaller impacts - such as a puck to the head, crashing/being checked into the boards, etc - granted it will also offer *some* protection against a fall on the ice but not nearly as well as a trick skateboarding helmet (a hockey helmet will only protect against a fall from 1 meter, vs. the foam in a cycling helmet which protects from 2 meters (important if you fall during a jump, which hockey players do not do).  Hockey helmets are just not designed for the type of high impact crash that may occur during figure skating.  The dual certified nature is needed for skating because although the foam in a cycling helmet offers better high impact protection, it offers little to no protection at the back of the head)

The best helmet is actually a dual-certified multi-sport cycling/skateboarding helmet - certified to both the CPSC bike standard AND the ASTM F1492 trick skateboarding standard.  This provides protection for the back of the head, provides smaller, multi-impact protection PLUS the higher impact protection of a cycling helmet (helmet should be replaced after ONE high impact).

You have to be careful purchasing a multi-sport or skateboarding helmet, however - as skateboarding helmets are not *legally* regulated.  The ASTM F1492 sticker must be on the inside of the helmet in order for it to meet those standards.  You will often see multi-sport helmets that claim to be for skateboarding that do not have this sticker.

Good brands would be the Bell Faction, Nutcase Crossover, select ProTec helmets.

Offline lutefisk

• On Thin Ice
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2012, 11:10:04 AM »

The best helmet is actually a dual-certified multi-sport cycling/skateboarding helmet - certified to both the CPSC bike standard AND the ASTM F1492 trick skateboarding standard.  This provides protection for the back of the head, provides smaller, multi-impact protection PLUS the higher impact protection of a cycling helmet (helmet should be replaced after ONE high impact).

You have to be careful purchasing a multi-sport or skateboarding helmet, however - as skateboarding helmets are not *legally* regulated.  The ASTM F1492 sticker must be on the inside of the helmet in order for it to meet those standards.  You will often see multi-sport helmets that claim to be for skateboarding that do not have this sticker.

Good brands would be the Bell Faction, Nutcase Crossover, select ProTec helmets.

Good info, thanks.  I'll check my multi-sport for the stickers tonight.

Offline kiwiskater

• Always a Flip, Never a Back Flip
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 02:09:23 AM »
tazsk8s recommended flexmeter some 18 months ago about a week before I did my wrist over. Needless to say I promptly took said advice & bought a pair, use them every time I skate - the only draw back is my velcro is starting to develop 'furyness' where the edges are getting a bit worn & starting to get loose threads. I'm hopeful that I can get some new velcro stitched on as it is only looped around a gap in the top splint & then stitched back onto itself.

But never any issues with the guards they have done wonderfully, and I have fallen on the wrist many times over including my first day back on the ice after injury!