You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: DIY Figure Scribe  (Read 3911 times)

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 188
DIY Figure Scribe
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:20:09 AM »
I just saw this on ebay: LINK

The item is a small "point" that clamps onto beams 5/8" to 1-1/2" thick to create a scribe or compass.  What could be used as a "beam" that would be convenient to transport to/from the rink?

The points can be replaced with pencils, ballpoint pens, crayons, or soapstone sticks for marking various materials.  I guess you could put in a skinny marker as well, if you wanted to use it on the ice.  I like the idea of being able to "switch out" the point instead of duct-taping or buying a sk8mate attachment.

I know we have a number of engineering-savvy members - what do you think about this for making a DIY scribe?
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
Re: DIY Figure Scribe
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 07:50:20 PM »
Those look very similar to the Starrett Trammel set... http://www.starrett.com/download/314_p361_364.pdf

Starret makes expensive, but very good tools. Their trammel set (not just the points, which are sold as well) is $68. The eBay item copies the Starret design with some small changes to avoid litigation.

I'd not put too much stock into the claim of working with markers other than pencils.The pencil holder is meant for things of pencil size, and most markers are larger in diameter than pencils. While I don't have any crayons to measure, I suspect that they'd work OK because they are approximately the same diameter as a pencil. One possible issue could be crayon breakage. They aren't stout.

These are meant to be clamped to a piece of wood in use. For the large circles in figures, that means a long piece of wood. I brainstormed a bit for extendable items like radio antennas, but couldn't come up with something that would be easily available.

BTW, if you do a search for "trammel" on Amazon, you can find some really inexpensive versions. One from Grizzly industries (an importer of inexpensive tools) is only $7...

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H5876-pc-Trammel-Set/dp/B0002U8BSG/ref=sr_1_12?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285199220&sr=8-12

From the feedback, the only complaint is one I've already mentioned - it's made for pencil-diameter markers and won't work with Sharpies, etc.
Bill Schneider

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »
My kids have some skinny markers - I'll see how much larger than a pencil they are, but you're probably correct about the diameter.  Thanks for the tips, though.

I though about a telescoping painter's pole instead of the wood, but I can see from the images you posted that it has to be a flat-sided piece of wood.  Rats!
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline JimStanmore

• Administrator
  • Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 384
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 12:32:03 AM »
I believe you can clamp a round pole with those.  Lab equipment often has clamps like those and c-lamps are regularly used to hold pipes and tubes.  You just won't be able to put a lot of force or weight on it.

Offline Bill_S

• Over the Edge
  • Total GOE: 369
  • Whack! Bam! Ouch!
    • Bill's skating pages
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 01:27:27 PM »
I believe you can clamp a round pole with those.  Lab equipment often has clamps like those and c-lamps are regularly used to hold pipes and tubes.  You just won't be able to put a lot of force or weight on it.

And if the size is such that it won't clamp securely, then whittle some flats into the round pole at two places.

Bill Schneider