You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: oh, music (ideas again?)  (Read 7244 times)

Offline sarahemarie

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
oh, music (ideas again?)
« on: January 01, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »
Hello all,

My first post since the forums changed...where have I been? 8)

Anyway, since you guys have always been the absolute best in helping me find music, that is of course what my post is about...

My 8-year-old pre-pre needs new music - is moving up from Beginner and we want a new start.  Her heart is set on something Egyptian, Arabian, etc - you get the kind of theme she is going for...  And she would actually skate really well to this kind of music - if we could find it!  She is a fast skater, needs fast music, but can be graceful as well.  And she gets really into "theme" choreography, so she'd do a good job with it.  I am having the most difficult time finding something for her that I like, that she likes, and that is not too repetitive.  Also, obviously, age appropriate - not provacative, etc.  It's a tough order, I know! 

Any suggestions and I would be eternally grateful!  Thanks,

Sarah 

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
Re: oh, music (ideas again?)
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »
Check out various Belly Dancing CDs. That would probably give you the right type of music. Some of it is slower, but a lot of it is faster. One of my friends is skating to a pretty cool piece of belly dancing music right now.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2011, 11:27:14 PM »
Oksana Baiul did a genie number once.

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 11:51:43 PM »
You could use parts of Sting's Desert Rose:

Or Thievery Corporation's Lebanese Blonde:

Would Bollywood be of interest to her? I might be able to come up with a recommendation that is more youthful in that genre. It's also exotic, but clearly from a different continent.

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:23:09 AM »
For example, here's a song from the Bollywood movie "Yahaan" that is sung partially by children:

It's set in Kashmir, one of India's northern states, and you may hear Middle-Eastern (particularly Sufi) influences.

"Baware" is a really fun circus song from the movie "Luck by Chance":

She might like any number of songs from the 2005 movie "Bluff Master," too. For example, "Say Na Say Na":

and also "Bure Bure" (which has some Farsi/Persian):

And in the movie "Guru," the "item" song "Mayya Mayya" was set in Istanbul:

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 03:12:57 AM »
Somewhat-baffled-by-US-rules-Canadian:  Can you have vocals, or not? 

Offline davincisop

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 162
  • 2017 Goal: Pass Bronze Dances
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 10:07:02 AM »

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 10:55:12 AM »

I am no expert, so please feel free to correct me here: Hunting on the Web, the answer seems to be that ISI competitions allow vocals, which skaters often use especially at lower levels. USFSA competitions do not allow vocals in music, unless it's a showcase competition. Also, vocals are allowed in ice dancing competitions apparently because it was too hard to find appropriate music for some themes (iike the year it was "rock") without them.

Here's one answer I found that sounds rational:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080721001602AAIieUr

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 11:32:06 AM »
Actually, the rules in USFSA changed last year.  Vocals can be used through Juvenile Freestyle events.  Perhaps Intermediate but not sure about that.  In fact, at Junior Nationals there was at least one, maybe two girls who skated to music with vocals.  I like the idea.  Took a little to get used to watching Juvenile with vocals but it really helps the young ones understand interpretation, expression, etc...

They used songs from Disney movies they could relate to well.  I do believe this may be the way to go in terms of boosting program component scores for the skaters.  If they begin using vocals in the lower levels, by they time they get to the much higher levels, they will really understand how to interpret and express their music in terms of their own skating abilities.  Our coaches at our rink are against it even for basic skills and beginners but I always seem to be on the other side of things :)

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 11:40:52 AM »
USFSA singles programs can include vocals at the lower levels of testing/competitions, up through Intermediate.  (Adults are exempt.)

Quote from: USFSA 2010-2011 Rulebook
3501 Music - Singles, Pairs and Dance
3502 For singles, pairs and dance, music is chosen by the competitor except for compulsory (pattern) dances;
A. For singles and pairs short program and free skate, vocal music with lyrics is not permitted, except as follows:
 1. For all short and free skate programs up to and including the intermediate level,
    for all events using the 6.0 system of judging and for all adult events, vocal music with lyrics is permitted.
B. For compulsory (pattern) dances, the music shall conform to the type and tempo specified in the description of the dance. See the glossary for dance diagrams and descriptions;
C. For the short dance and free dance, see event specific rules for dance.

This is a recent change in USFSA rules.  ISI does allow vocals at all levels, but most higher-level skaters choose instrumentals because they use the same music for their USFSA events.

Soundtracks from "The King of Persia" or "Disney's Aladdin" would work well - lots of choices with and without vocals.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 01:00:17 PM »
Last year I used Shakira's "Eyes Like Mine" (instrumental) and it was nice. Latin beat with some belly-dance tone to it. I wore an Arabian-themed outfit. So maybe some Latin-style music would work as well (Shakira has tons of beautiful songs).
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline bollyskater

• Dust Bunny Hopping
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 01:43:59 PM »
Last year I used Shakira's "Eyes Like Mine" (instrumental) and it was nice. Latin beat with some belly-dance tone to it. I wore an Arabian-themed outfit. So maybe some Latin-style music would work as well (Shakira has tons of beautiful songs).

Shakira is Colombian of Lebanese descent, so some of her songs have Arabic overtones.
http://www.fazeteen.com/issue07/shakira.html
As a totally off-topic side note, I'm excited that a friend from my graduate school program edits some of her music videos.

Offline sarahemarie

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 02:23:41 PM »
Thanks guys, so helpful!  I will listen to all of these. 

As for the Bollywood idea - I like it, and originally brought it up to her this fall when we were planning out her season.  My student was not sold...she is the kind of kid, I've learned, who will skate infinitely better if she has some input on what she is doing - she does NOT like being handed music and told that she is going to skate to it, so I didn't force the issue...she's very independent and very motivated by choreography and themed music, though, so she would be good at Bollywood too...I just have to find the perfect piece for her to be sold on it.

Yes - Beginner-Int (even at Jr. nats) can have vocals...it isn't that common in my region, as of yet, but I've seen a few skaters that have taken advantage of this rule change.  I haven't used any vocal programs, but I'm not opposed to it, if I find the right piece.

I love Oksana's program...it is "The Feeling Begins," also, you may recognize, a famous Michelle Kwan program.  Unfortunately, it is also already in use at our rink by another skater :( 

Thanks for the help.  I appreciate your ideas so much!

Sarah

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2011, 02:37:28 PM »

Offline Skate@Delaware

• Chock Full of Lilty Goodness
  • Total GOE: 61
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2011, 08:49:07 PM »
Shakira is Colombian of Lebanese descent, so some of her songs have Arabic overtones.
http://www.fazeteen.com/issue07/shakira.html
As a totally off-topic side note, I'm excited that a friend from my graduate school program edits some of her music videos.
I did not know that-I love her music! I love Bollywood too, so lively!
Avoiding the Silver Moves Mohawk click-of-death!!!

Offline singerskates

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
  • Canadian Adult Skater
    • Singerskates Sports Music Editing
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »
What about skating to the music of Aladdin? Doesn't have to be the Disney version either but I don't know if I can find anything but Disney.

I'm checking youtube..... wait.... found some Aladdin Score music at Youtube.

You should be able to find the Aladdin Soundtrack/Score at your local library.

I do music editing and do have the music. Message me if your interested in hiring me to edit the music for you.
"It's not age that determines but the heart." "Skating is not just a sport for the young but it's a passion for the soul of the young at heart." Brigitte Laskowski

I am an adult skater who is a member of Tecumseh Skating  WOS for 2012 2013 season.

Offline akabowers

• Wearing Rental Skates
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 04:03:37 PM »
I've got the perfect piece of music for you! I'm a coach from Wasilla, Alaska and I just choreographed a program to "Reprimand" from the movie "The Prince of Egypt". It sounds like exactly what your looking for. :) All the best :)
Natasha