You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: landing position  (Read 2461 times)

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
  • Total GOE: 8
landing position
« on: December 27, 2010, 09:58:17 PM »
DD's coach has her land with left arm kind of forward and the right arm at the side.  I see 2 other coaches coach thier kids that way too.  The other coaches have thier kids put both arms out at side.  So what gives?   The other position seems prettier to me because it's a "yay look at me" position.

Offline Isk8NYC

• Administrator
  • Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 141
    • Ten Years of Figure Skating Discussions!
Re: landing position
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:05:53 PM »
That's the check position for landings.  The "L" position stops rotation on landings, which prevents the skater from continuing to turn on the ice.  When the skater keeps turning, they can't hold the edge without putting down a foot or turning to face forward.

Staying in that check position makes the setup for jump combinations easier since the skater can snap into the takeoff check position faster. 

I think the "ta da!" positionworks better for experienced jumpers.  For low-level skaters, I find that it encourages shoulder lift, which makes getting into check position on combinations difficult.

Either is correct for a single jump.
-- Isk8NYC --
"I like to skate on the other side of the ice." - Comedian Steven Wright

Offline phoenix

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 74
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 11:15:39 PM »
It may very well be an intermediate step to keep her from over rotating the landings--as she gets stronger her coach may well change the arm position.

Offline jumpingbeansmom

• Wearing Blade Guards on the Ice
  • Total GOE: 60
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 09:24:52 AM »
That's the check position for landings.  The "L" position stops rotation on landings, which prevents the skater from continuing to turn on the ice.  When the skater keeps turning, they can't hold the edge without putting down a foot or turning to face forward.

Staying in that check position makes the setup for jump combinations easier since the skater can snap into the takeoff check position faster. 

I think the "ta da!" positionworks better for experienced jumpers.  For low-level skaters, I find that it encourages shoulder lift, which makes getting into check position on combinations difficult.

Either is correct for a single jump.

This sounds right, my dd's coach has been fussing with her landing position, and she is starting combinations like dbl lutz, loop, double toe and axel double toe- etc.

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 08:17:54 PM »
Thank you!

Offline kssk8fan

• Zamboni Driver
  • Total GOE: 12
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 03:02:48 PM »
The "L" position should be the goal until the jump is 100% consistent and completely mastered with a long controlled landing.  It isn't until after that, that the skater should look to change his/her landing positions to the "ta-da" look or the tano jump with same landing.  Your skater is very lucky that he/she has a coach that is focused on this  ;D

Offline falen

• Pairs Partner
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 09:47:51 PM »
Thanks!  I do feel lucky since we just stumbled on her, she was new to the area and just moved actually.  I did not do any research or know to do it.  She has taken dd very far in a short time.  Basic 3 to freestyle in one year!