You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Frustrated and upset. Parents- what would you do?  (Read 14582 times)

Offline Sierra

• Wearing Evelyn Kramer's Coat
  • Total GOE: 97
Re: Frustrated and upset. Parents- what would you do?
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2011, 07:29:41 PM »
Thanks all :) I do hope one day she will understand it better. It just really feels like all the odds are against me- lack of parental support, lack of resources, rink being so far away, and even that my parents want to move to Kentucky, which will, depending on my age, leave me in Kentucky with a horribly recreational rink (they have three freestyle sessions per week- that says it all) or in Florida, struggling to find a place to live.

The age limit at my rink is 16, both for jobs & junior coaches. I will be looking into those as soon as I'm 16. I'm just afraid I won't find a job at all. The only reason my brother got his first job is because the store owner and my mom were talking to each other one day. He's since left that job and co-owns a pressure wash business. Publix hires 14 yr olds, but I've never actually seen a teenager work in that particular store near me. Have applied though.

I hope maybe when I've been skating longer, Mom will take it more seriously. I've actually only been skating seriously for not yet a full year, and have only been doing privates since last June.

Offline isakswings

• Carrying Baton for Yelling At Hockey Boys
  • Total GOE: 22
Re: Frustrated and upset. Parents- what would you do?
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2011, 10:45:13 PM »
Sierra,

My daughter isn't  a junior coach since her rink hires them at 16, I believe.  She is a helper and her rink "pays" helpers in ice time. :) She gets 1 free session for helping with learn to skate. She is 12, so she cannot legally work.

Good luck, Sierra. I am sure your dreams of becoming a skating coach will happen.