You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Upping lesson time or frequency  (Read 3790 times)

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 6
    • Sarah on Ice: my skating blog
Upping lesson time or frequency
« on: June 21, 2013, 07:11:36 PM »
Is there a rule of thumb for how much lesson time you should take per __? Where that blank equates to practice time / days skated / speed of progress? At my rink, it seems adults take lessons about once a week, and that's the schedule I've had since the very start. When I have had events to prepare for (competition or test) I have taken extra lessons, but the "regular" schedule is once a week, 30 minutes.

When is it time to start thinking about increasing that? I know that there are lots of other factors involved like cost and time etc., but assuming it's all feasible, what's ideal?

My coach mentioned once or twice that we could start adding a second weekly lesson because I was progressing fast enough that it would be beneficial, but we both got busy and that never ended up happening. My schedule is starting to settle down so I might be able to swing it. More importantly, I might be able to afford it -- but I have to first figure out if I WANT to afford it. I spend a lot of money on skating already and I've gotten resigned to the cost, but doubling that just might give me 'sticker shock.'

I'm at pre-bronze level (moves and FS tests passed) and I've been skating for almost a year and a half, and taking privates from the outset. I skate 4 to 6 hours a week and I'm working on bronze moves and FS. I'd appreciate all your insights, thanks!
My blog about learning to skate: http://sarahonice.wordpress.com

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Upping lesson time or frequency
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 07:41:50 PM »
A year ago+ I had a 30 minute semi-private "group" lesson (which usually worked out more like a conditioning class and there were usually just 2 of us) and a 30 minute private lesson... I felt like it worked out really well for me, but that class didn't get renewed this past fall so I ended up doing two lessons a week with my coach, one 15 minutes and one 30 minutes, and that has worked out very well for me without the "sticker shock" of doubling my lesson time (I was paying about the same for 15 minutes as I had been for the class).  I like to work on the things I really dislike during the short lesson so I don't feel like I'm "trapped" working on them longer than I'd want to.  Surprisingly I've made quite a lot of progress that way, because I feel like it's a less stressful way to train.

This summer I am back down to one 30 minute lesson a week just due to limited ice time... but since I'm not actively working on testing I'm not too concerned about the "lack" of time.  Next fall, as I really prepare for my next tests I will probably up my lesson time for a while, probably back to a full hour a week, but I doubt I will stay at that level for long because of the expense.

Offline Twizzler

• Beware the Bars of Death!
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »
it all depends on your goals. At my rink most adults take on lesson a week, but most are not as advanced as you and don't intend to test or jump.

If I was skating 4-6 hrs a week, I'd take 2 lessons a week. As a coach I see major difference in the kids that take two lessons a week versus just one. With two lessons you can get more accomplished, ie moves in one lesson, free style in the other, etc. I also think two lessons is better than one longer lesson. you can only absorb so much new info at once.

If you can swing it time and money wise, I don't think you'd be disappointed.
good luck

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 10:45:30 PM »
2 x 30 minutes lesson sound about right, if you are actively working on both moves / FS and your schedule / budget allow it. I know I really *wish* to take both dance lesson and FS lesson each week :P

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 11:32:15 PM »
... I ended up doing two lessons a week with my coach, one 15 minutes and one 30 minutes, and that has worked out very well for me without the "sticker shock" of doubling my lesson time (I was paying about the same for 15 minutes as I had been for the class).  I like to work on the things I really dislike during the short lesson so I don't feel like I'm "trapped" working on them longer than I'd want to.  Surprisingly I've made quite a lot of progress that way, because I feel like it's a less stressful way to train.

Ah, I hadn't thought of 15-minute lessons. That might be something to ponder, thanks!

So it sounds like adding a lesson in the near future may be appropriate. Money is more an issue than time, so I'll have to sit down and work out the budget to see if it's manageable. I take my skating seriously but don't want it to put me in the lurch financially! Sadly, it's so easy to rack up the expenses isn't it?

Thanks for your responses!

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 07:54:10 AM »
The general rule of thumb is twice as much practice as lesson.  So for every half hour of lesson, you would need another hour of practise.  And I believe studies have shown that frequent shorter sessions of practise produce better results than rare long ones. 

Personally, I rarely do either one due to work, life and ice schedules but, for me, I've found that extra lessons before a competition or test don't due much more than stress me out.  I prefer to keep to my usual routine as much as possible throughout the year.  Summer is a pain for me because all the ice times change and most of those are during the workday.  I'm lucky this year that my usual lesson day and time didn't change, although the rink changed the sessions from two to three during the Freestyle block so my actual time on the ice is either shorter or more expensive.

Offline Purple Sparkly

• CER-A
  • Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 65
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »
I skate 10-14 hours a week and I have 4 30 minute lessons.  Two lessons are on freeskating, one is with my dance coach, the fourth is with a dance coach for partnering for testing.  I am Masters Intermediate and Silver/Pre-Gold dance.  After I test what I need to test, I will drop the partnering lessons until I get close to testing again.

I really like lessons as my coaches are fun to work with and I acknowledge they actually have to teach me things in order for me to improve.  But, I also have a routine for my two hours that I go through on days I don't have a lesson, so when I do have a lesson, it interrupts my routine and I sometimes miss practicing something.  I think this is why they like me.  I practice.  I actually like to practice.

Right now I have the money to pay for it and the rink has the sessions I can go to.  When that wasn't the case, I did one lesson per week on freeskating and dance only when I could fit in it (which meant none at all for six months).

Offline alejeather

• Ice Tourist
  • Total GOE: 23
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 10:28:38 AM »
I've seen a lot of improvement since upping my lesson time to twice a week, but I also have completely new coaches, so it may not all be due to lesson frequency. I really enjoy having two lessons a week. When I haven't had a lesson on something I haven't mastered in a while, I can feel it coming apart. I've learned that often touching on it in lesson will be just the thing I need to put it back together again. Having more than one lesson a week means that I get instruction on more elements in a week. And the more you learn, the more things you have to work on.

Also, my two lessons are with different coaches, which I really like. They have the same base technique (both took from Gus Lussi), but they teach differently and I feel like I really benefit from that.

I agree with Twizzler. If you can swing it, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
"Any day now" turned out to be November 14, 2014.

Offline taka

• Kid Magnet
  • Total GOE: 67
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 11:21:59 AM »
I started with 30 mins a week on a public session. As I started to learn dance and started working on field moves I switched to 30 mins on patch ice (a mix of dance, field moves and free) and 15 mins on a public session (free mostly). After a while I switched to 2x30mins a week one to one on patch ice and now only do dance.

About a year and a half ago my skating club started a ~30min learn to dance class as a free extra for anyone who wants to join in (held during our club session). I wouldn't want to pay for another lesson specifically but it is useful enough for me to choose to skate that session and not another (despite it being really busy).

If you can managed to do an extra 15 mins a week it will be worth it I think!

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 01:02:43 PM »
The general rule of thumb is twice as much practice as lesson.  So for every half hour of lesson, you would need another hour of practise.  And I believe studies have shown that frequent shorter sessions of practise produce better results than rare long ones. 

Wow, that seems like so much lesson time, but good to know! I don't think I could ever afford that ratio of lessons to practice, but I do agree that frequent shorter practices is probably better than very long ones. At a certain point I just get tired and things stop working.

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 08:19:23 PM »
My coach is SO busy and I'm begging...dying...to get another 30 or 45 minute lesson in each week.  I'll take two 30 minute or two 45 minute lessons!  If I were a millionaire, I'd hire her to work with me 8 hours a day.  :-)
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 11:22:37 PM »
 l
My coach is SO busy and I'm begging...dying...to get another 30 or 45 minute lesson in each week.  I'll take two 30 minute or two 45 minute lessons!  If I were a millionaire, I'd hire her to work with me 8 hours a day.  :-)
we leave next week so after she comes back from sectionals you can have our time lol :psychic

Offline Meli

• AOSS Member
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 11:34:20 PM »
If I were a millionaire, I'd hire her to work with me 8 hours a day.  :-)

I'm with you on that... if I could take lessons all day I'd be there!

I'm currently doing a 30 minute group class (mostly edges, stroking, crossovers) followed by a 30 minute private lesson.  Last week we did a full hour, mainly so we could get to things we hadn't had time to hit yet and to walk through what's expected on the moves test.  After the new year, I'm going to see about alternating things so that some weeks are a half hour and some weeks are the full hour (and still take the group class.)  Hopefully it will ease the sticker shock.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 02:44:49 AM »
My coach is SO busy and I'm begging...dying...to get another 30 or 45 minute lesson in each week.

Ugh, I'd be happy to just be getting a full 30 minutes a week right now.  Lately I haven't been (which is sad, because I'm supposed to be getting 45 over two lessons!), and it's incredibly frustrating since I am getting ready to test and I feel like my coach just isn't there for me.  I've already told her regardless of how the test session goes I'm planning on taking December off (for unrelated reasons, I have a lot of house projects I need to tackle - I'll probably still skate some, just not as much as I am now) but I'm honestly not sure what I'm going to do after that - I may be looking for a new coach :(

Offline slcbelle

• Blade Runner
  • Total GOE: 224
  • Yes, I'm obsessed.
    • YouTube Videos
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 10:07:41 AM »
lwe leave next week so after she comes back from sectionals you can have our time lol :psychic

I'll take it!  Good luck at Sectionals!
Adult Silver FS, Intermediate MITF
Videos:  http://www.youtube.com/itslex71
Bronze Level Test Judge - Singles/Pairs
Non-Qual Competition Judge

Offline sarahonice

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »
Ah, I can update now that it's several months down the line -- I ended up increasing my lesson time, and I think it's really sped up my progress. I've added a weekly moves lesson (30 min) and a semi-regular spins lesson (15 min, every other week or so). I've found it's been really very productive to have the specialized attention on individual skills. I do remember feeling previously like there just wasn't enough time to get in everything between moves, spins, jumps, and program work. I haven't increased my overall skating time, but more of it is coached, and it's made a difference.

It's not a permanent schedule, and I'm only taking from the extra coaches while my coach is away (for several months). But when she gets back I will probably add a lesson, because it's been working well.