You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Guys in synchro teams  (Read 8058 times)

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
Guys in synchro teams
« on: January 04, 2013, 07:54:33 PM »
I have seen guys in synchro teams on youtube. Of all the videos, there is only 1 guy. Any thoughts about guys on synchro teams?

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
Re: Guys in synchro teams
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 08:15:39 PM »
I've never done any synchro myself, but the rec center rink in my town has a very strong synchro program (many national championships), and they have a boy on one of their teams.  There's a fun video here that shows three of the teams in action (including the boy): 

I went to synchronized skating national championships in Providence, RI (in 2008, I think) and there at least one team with several men on the team, using them to be able to do lifts (pairs style - one man lifting one female).  I went again to the national synchro championship this past year, and there were fewer men - the top teams were all female, (using groups of females to lift one female).

I think it's great when guys do synchro, but given how men/boys are a minority in figure skating in general, I'm not surprised that there are not a lot of them in synchro.

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
Not only am I in favor of men in synchro. I want to see an all male synchro team kick butt.

Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:40:52 PM »
I've only done ISI synchro competitions but I've seen a small number of boys/men competing synchro (more men than boys).   As long as the team puts them in pants that do not mimic tights, I'm all for it.

I just hate the "I'm not wearing pants" look.

I've heard that in addition to the shear number of athletes introduced to the village, coed teams were one of the reasons it was difficult to get the sport Olympic recognition.  Now that tennis has mixed doubles, hopefully that roadblock goes away.  The "team" event isn't going to help the cause though.  Synchro is really hard- it certainly gets the short end of the stick.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
  • Total GOE: 188
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 02:24:43 AM »
Not only am I in favor of men in synchro. I want to see an all male synchro team kick butt.

Not sure if the team's still competing, but NYC had "Men 'n Sync":

Boys/Men are always a hit on synchro teams, even without doing anything to stand out.  I've never seen them wear anything but pants.
There aren't many of them, although some of the Open Juv teams that went to Porter and Sectionals had several hs/college aged male skaters.
"If you still look good after skating practice, you didn't work hard enough."

Year-Round Skating Discussions for Figure Skaters - www.skatingforums.com

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 85
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 09:24:42 AM »
I skate on an adult synchro team and we have a guy on our team.  We are fairly unique though and are known as that team with the guy.

Our top senior synchro team here in Canada has had a guy on the team for years. 

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 10:05:56 AM »
I've never seen them wear anything but pants.

It used to be very common to put them in beige pants, to mimic the tights girls were wearing.  It gives the impression they forgot to wear pants.  Yes, black pants say "hey look, a guy!" when the girls are wearing beige tights, but the look is so much better.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 10:50:09 AM »
All guys here wear pants.  We for the past two years have worn black tights so we can match the pants of our guy.  They get strict here with costume rules.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 11:53:56 AM »
It used to be very common to put them in beige pants, to mimic the tights girls were wearing.  It gives the impression they forgot to wear pants.  Yes, black pants say "hey look, a guy!" when the girls are wearing beige tights, but the look is so much better.

ITA that the pants look nicer.  I take it you saw this in Iowa a while ago, since you don't do synchro anymore?  I have never seen that in the past five years.  (Competitions in NY, NJ, PA, NC, MI, VA)  IMO, putting men in tights would be taking the "lookalike" approach too far.  It's like the hairpieces the women wear so they're all matchy-matchy.

ETA: The USFSA rules must have changed since you did synchro:

Quote from: USFSA 2012-13 Rulebook
7020 Clothing and Equipment – Synchronized Skating
7021 The costumes of the competitors must be modest, dignified and appropriate for athletic competition. Costumes and head pieces may not be overly theatrical in nature (e.g. excessive beading and adornment), but may reflect the composition and character of the program.
A. The clothing must not give the effect of excessive nudity for an athletic sport.
B. Ladies may wear a skirt or body suit or full-length trousers. Unitards without skirts are permissible.
C. Men must wear full-length trousers; no tights are permitted.

I guess a few teams too many put guys in tights and the PTB didn't like the look.  I like the "excessive nudity" rule, too.

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 01:04:32 PM »

Oh , ick!!!!  Seems like that would totally give the impression of a shirt above bare hips and legs.  YUCK!!!

I would be interested to see how appropriately colored shorts with beige pant legs below would look.  It might allow a male to blend more into a mostly female team without looking like he's inappropriately dressed.  Then again, it might just look silly.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 01:37:12 PM »
I would be interested to see how appropriately colored shorts with beige pant legs below would look.  It might allow a male to blend more into a mostly female team without looking like he's inappropriately dressed.  Then again, it might just look silly.

If they were skating a German-themed program and wearing Dirndls or Lederhosen, it would be cute.

Alas - the rules say "full length pants."

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 02:26:13 PM »
If they were skating a German-themed program and wearing Dirndls or Lederhosen, it would be cute.
  Alas - the rules say "full length pants."

I actually did a German-themed program for our open adult team a while back, and asked USFS whether lederhosen would be permissable.  They said no.  We did it as a show program, rather than a competitive one.

Offline FigureSpins

• CER-A, CER-C
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 02:31:22 PM »
I actually did a German-themed program for our open adult team a while back, and asked USFS whether lederhosen would be permissable.  They said no.  We did it as a show program, rather than a competitive one.

It must have been cute - good idea to do it for a show. 
I don't typically like shorts, especially booty shorts or ones with writing across the back, but it would be a cute costume.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 02:48:23 PM »
FYI - anyone interested in synchro - Colonial Classic is live streaming the competition this weekend. On colonialclassic.org click on the evc logo on the right. From there there is a link to the stream.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 02:55:56 PM »
Well, Ladies May Wear Trousers based on the rules; so, you could just put everyone in pants!

Offline Clarice

• Practicing Chick Tails
  • Total GOE: 68
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2013, 03:05:13 PM »
Okay, here's a picture of us!  Our beer steins lit up, too!

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2013, 03:16:55 PM »
Up until recently, there was a Canadian "all-male" "old-school precision skating team" called the Ice Men. It was composed of ex and current competitive skaters who performed at exhibitions, shows etc to raise funds for breast cancer research. The time they performed for us, Dylan Moscovitch was out there doing syncro moves with the team ... and a bunch of other quite high level skaters. Yes, it was a comedy ... but they raised serious cash for charity.

They've gone on hiatus it seems, unfortunately, however, what they did on the ice was amazing.

And they wore tutus on occasion.  Link below to flickr account.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43946249@N06/

Sorry for OTT posting :(

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2013, 05:50:46 PM »
ITA that the pants look nicer.  I take it you saw this in Iowa a while ago, since you don't do synchro anymore?  I have never seen that in the past five years.  (Competitions in NY, NJ, PA, NC, MI, VA)  IMO, putting men in tights would be taking the "lookalike" approach too far.  It's like the hairpieces the women wear so they're all matchy-matchy.

No, NOT men in tights.  I don't think men have ever been allowed to wear tights.  Men in pants the same color as beige tights.

And it wasn't in Iowa- but at ISI synchro nationals and also at Mids Sectionals (that competition was in Iowa, but not Iowa teams) though it has been a few years since I went, but fewer than 5, which is why I said "it was the trend for awhile".  I don't think it is anymore, just like beige boots are 'out'.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2013, 06:20:20 PM »
Well, Ladies May Wear Trousers based on the rules; so, you could just put everyone in pants!

This make me remember a synchro competition where a team wore pants and I overheard someone from another team walk by and comment "omg someone must have forgotten their dress".  Our team has toyed with the idea of wearing pants to match our guy.  The black tights seem to work.

And about the beige boots being "out" synchro is sooooooo trendy I find.  The last few years most teams lately have worn black tights pulled down over the heels of the boot.

And sorry to go off track here.  :). But to the OP if you think synchro might be something you would enjoy go for it.  It is lots of fun and most teams would love to have a guy on the team. If not only your looking unique but it just adds a different dynamic to the team.

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 07:45:01 PM »
It took me ever to find this.

Russia, at worlds in Canada 2003 

The one I really want to find is the long, they do death spirals if I remember correctly.

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 05:02:49 PM »
That vid is so cool, the even male/female ratio allows so much cool stuff. Imagine simultaneous throw jumps...
Then again, I guess that is why people pay to see ice shows...  ;)
Still, it would be fun to be on a team.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 09:28:51 PM »
My sister was on an adult syncro team in the late 90's.  They had 2 or 3 guys on their team.

Offline SynchKat

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 07:04:25 PM »
That vid is so cool, the even male/female ratio allows so much cool stuff. Imagine simultaneous throw jumps...
Then again, I guess that is why people pay to see ice shows...  ;)
Still, it would be fun to be on a team.

Just so you know the synchro competition season is in full swing and for many teams will be over in the next week or two or early next month.  Look for flyers and info from teams for try outs.  Most teams are happy to have new people come out and give it a try.  They would love a guy I am sure.   Look for Adult 2 or 3 level teams and just go give it a try.  It is fun. 

Offline LilJen

• Doing the Fiesta Tangle!
  • Total GOE: 56
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2013, 12:57:20 PM »
YES!!

Offline ONskater74

• Intergalactic Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 10
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 05:55:12 PM »
Only local team I know of, Ice Wines, specifically call themselves  LADIES adult synchro team. Keep the boys away, I guess. Not much point in pursuing it at this point.... :-\