You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Crossovers  (Read 2879 times)

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
Crossovers
« on: December 27, 2012, 10:35:09 PM »
So when learning crossover, my coach always tells me to hold it for atleast 3 seconds. Why is that? Its not like you hold it for 3 when doing crossovers. So watcha think? :D

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
Re: Crossovers
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 10:53:08 PM »
I had a coach tell me to cross and hold mostly as an exercise to get me used to getting and staying on the edge. It was a beginner's exercise.

If you can do them, try them facing out of the circle. That'll really help your edges.
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 10:58:56 PM »
I had a coach tell me to cross and hold mostly as an exercise to get me used to getting and staying on the edge. It was a beginner's exercise.

Ohh ahh I see!

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 12:10:42 AM »

We get it all the time. There is always room for improvement when it comes to edges and crossovers.

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 12:25:11 AM »
If you can't hold it for 3 seconds, it means your edges are not secure. The longer you can hold the edge, the more confident your crossovers will look, and the more power the crossovers can give.

Offline Mergen Tatara

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »
Hmm..I must try this out.  I would say my crossovers aren't secure yet.  Sometimes when I cross over, I feel the outside edge slipping out as the weight transfer is taking place.  So I'm always in a hurry to complete the move to avoid falling.

Am still weak doing crossovers in the clockwise direction (due to my local rink stipulation about anticlockwise direction during public skate sessions).  Very weak and fearful doing backward crossovers.  There is no flow.  Motion literally stops when I cross one foot over doing backwards.
Jackson Marquis Boots
Ultima Mirage Blade

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2012, 01:12:26 AM »
Hmm..I must try this out.  I would say my crossovers aren't secure yet.  Sometimes when I cross over, I feel the outside edge slipping out as the weight transfer is taking place.  So I'm always in a hurry to complete the move to avoid falling.

I had the same problem before -- the only way I could cross over was if I did it really fast. I found that working on lifting the free hip really helps. :) When I started out, I found consecutive edges to be difficult. What I did was just to hold that stroke without crossing over, similar to a chasse. :)

Am still weak doing crossovers in the clockwise direction (due to my local rink stipulation about anticlockwise direction during public skate sessions).  Very weak and fearful doing backward crossovers.  There is no flow.  Motion literally stops when I cross one foot over doing backwards.

Are you doing backward crossovers lifting your foot, or are you doing crosscuts (crossing foot does not lift off the ice)?

Offline Mergen Tatara

• Sour Cow Herd
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 04:22:02 AM »
Are you doing backward crossovers lifting your foot, or are you doing crosscuts (crossing foot does not lift off the ice)?

I'm doing it lifting my foot.  The crosscuts is the more advanced version.  Once skaters get used to doing it the "conventional" way, they'll gradually move on to do crosscuts i.e. no lifting of foot, just rapid "scissors" motion.  I'll like to do the basic first, instead of trying the advanced way.
Jackson Marquis Boots
Ultima Mirage Blade

Offline sampaguita

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 06:02:56 AM »
I'm doing it lifting my foot.  The crosscuts is the more advanced version.  Once skaters get used to doing it the "conventional" way, they'll gradually move on to do crosscuts i.e. no lifting of foot, just rapid "scissors" motion.  I'll like to do the basic first, instead of trying the advanced way.

Interestingly for me, I found (and still find) the crosscuts easier than the basic crossovers. :D I learned the crosscuts first, because basic crosscuts don't require as much edge control as basic crossovers, since you have two feet on the ice most of the time. My coach told me back then: "try to make a number 8 on the ice". 2 years later, I'm still working on it, but more on power and form.

For the basic ones, what really helped me was practicing backward outside edges. The weird thing is, in the ISI system, backward edges are more advanced than backward crossovers (and yes, they are harder, in my opinion).

If you're stopping while doing the crossovers, most likely your weight is nearer the toepick. Keeping the weight more in the middle (for me, I intend to put it on the heel, although it really does end up in the middle) helps in controlling the edge.