You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Repeating a level.  (Read 5188 times)

Offline sk8great

• Figure skating isn't a sport. me: -flashes blades-
  • Diamond Blocking
  • Total GOE: 33
Repeating a level.
« on: December 16, 2012, 10:18:22 PM »
Has anyone in here repeated a level/failed a skating test? I have my alpha test this weekend and im 100% positive im gonna fail and repeat the level  :-\  I mean i can barely do a forward crossover. And thats the reason I quitted skating when i was 6. Now im 13 and forward crossovers wont cause me to quit again! :D  But this time my mom plans to enroll me to 2 skating classes each week. If you did repeat a level how many times did you repeat it and what level was it?

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
Re: Repeating a level.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 10:28:18 PM »
My daughter has repeated every level she's been in (she repeated Basic 1 twice).  She has been skating for 15 months now, and her progress is slow, but she enjoys it, and that's all that matters.

Offline VAsk8r

• On the Edge
  • Total GOE: 18
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 10:30:49 PM »
We didn't have tests when I took Learn to Skate, but if we had, I'm sure I would have failed sometimes! It took me ages to get some of the things we did in Learn to Skate. Don't be so sure you will fail. You won't be expected to do perfect forward crossovers for your alpha test. And either way, keep practicing and listen to your instructor.

I have failed one U.S. Figure Skating test twice and know some other skaters who have failed a test three or four times. Skating isn't like school. The important thing is to learn the skill so you can build on it; it's OK if it takes you longer than some others. Sometimes skaters who learn most skills really fast end up eventually getting stuck on something and just quitting because they think it should be easy.

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 10:37:32 PM »
Well, one month into skating it's completely normal to not have perfect crossovers yet! And it sounds like you are getting closer than you last did it 7 years ago, and that's progress :)

I repeated beta once because of back crossovers. Also failed FS2 because of two one foot spins. Had I continued with the regular classes instead of switching rink to an adult class (which did not have regular session-end testing), I am sure the change foot spin in FS3 would have failed me several times, lol.

Really, it's the journey that counts. Happy skating :)

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 10:40:29 PM »
Well, one month into skating it's completely normal to not have perfect crossovers yet! And it sounds like you are getting closer than you last did it 7 years ago, and that's progress :)

I repeated beta once because of back crossovers. Also failed FS2 because of two foot spins. Had I continued with the regular classes instead of switching rink to an adult class (which did not have regular session-end testing), I am sure the change foot spin in FS3 would have failed me several times, lol.

Really, it's the journey that counts. Happy skating :)
We didn't have tests when I took Learn to Skate, but if we had, I'm sure I would have failed sometimes! It took me ages to get some of the things we did in Learn to Skate. Don't be so sure you will fail. You won't be expected to do perfect forward crossovers for your alpha test. And either way, keep practicing and listen to your instructor.

I have failed one U.S. Figure Skating test twice and know some other skaters who have failed a test three or four times. Skating isn't like school. The important thing is to learn the skill so you can build on it; it's OK if it takes you longer than some others. Sometimes skaters who learn most skills really fast end up eventually getting stuck on something and just quitting because they think it should be easy.

This inspired me to skate and practice much harder! You guys couldn't be more right! Is it weird that im actually excited to fail the test and repeat the level? LOL

"Skating isn't like school. The important thing is to learn the skill so you can build on it; it's OK if it takes you longer than some others. Sometimes skaters who learn most skills really fast end up eventually getting stuck on something and just quitting because they think it should be easy."

"Really, it's the journey that counts. Happy skating :)"

Offline AgnesNitt

• Asynchronous Skating Team Leader
  • Total GOE: 516
    • The ice doesn't care
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 10:41:21 PM »
Repeating levels is pretty much the norm from what I've observed.

You're 13 and probably see the rare kid who passes the level first try and think that's the norm. My advice is to  compliment the other skaters for their successes and not comparing yourself to them. Think of skating as a  journey, not a race.  As you get more experience you'll find that you can do somethings better than other skaters, and they can learn some things faster than you. I knew a woman in Gamma who could barely do a forward outside 3, but she could do a bracket.

Oh, and as far as the crossovers, it never hurts to try them with more knee bend. I mean, a lot more knee bend. That's what everyone tells me!  ;D
Yes I'm in with the 90's. I have a skating blog. http://icedoesntcare.blogspot.com/

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 11:04:15 PM »
And make sure you practice outside of group class. Yeah, the first failed test inspired me to practice on public skating sessions, haha.

Offline hopskipjump

• BladeLock
  • Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 59
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 11:09:30 PM »
Yes, there was a level my daughter repeated (maybe be 2?) - it was no big deal.  She didn't fail but had an injury so she will most likely repeat a level this year. 

Offline sk8great

• Diamond Blocking
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 11:18:51 PM »
And make sure you practice outside of group class. Yeah, the first failed test inspired me to practice on public skating sessions, haha.

Public sessions :blank: Practiced awhile ago. Jeez Little kids scared me (thought I was gonna bump into one of them) + a few adults who didn't know how to stop LOL
Then there was this young hockey player who criticized me. LOL I didn't care!

Offline mamabear

• Divot Maker
  • Total GOE: 98
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »
My daughter is 13 and she's never passed a level the first time.  She's been taking skating lessons for about 2 1/2 years and is about to start Basic 5 for the 4th time.  She likes skating and is showing improvement each session-that's what counts for me!

Offline fortune8

• Ice Warrior
  • Total GOE: 1
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 11:44:57 PM »
Around here forward crossovers hold almost all the skaters up awhile!!

Offline JSM

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 39
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 11:49:09 PM »
It's totally normal to not pass the first time!  Skating is learning a whole new way of moving, and it's not easy.  But sometimes, spending more time on the 'easy' moves - edges, glides, crossovers - will give you a very good base on which you can build upon.  Even elite skaters work on their crossovers!

The most important thing you can do when learning is just practice.  Get on the ice and have fun!  What you want to do is is just get yourself used to being on the ice and moving on skates.  Once you get your body comfortable, everything else will seem more natural.

It really is an awesome sport! 

Offline dak_rbb

• Wobbling on new skates
  • Total GOE: 2
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 12:18:08 AM »
My daughter has always been one of the best skaters at her rinks (admittedly small pond rinks).  She practices, works hard, has an aptitude for skating--it's always looked relatively easy and natural for her--and has progressed steadily so she is now landing nice double Axels.  When she was in learn-to-skate classes, she repeated most of the levels, a few of them more than once. 

Just practice and don't worry if you have to repeat. It's important to really learn all those basics, so you'll have a good foundation for the later stuff.  Also, everyone progresses at different rates. It's best to focus on your own skating and not worry about what other skaters are doing.

Good luck and have fun with your skating.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 06:32:42 AM »
As a coach, I would rather see a kid master the elements and be confident, than worry about passing a level all the time. I had a girl who could NOT do the 3-turns on basic 4 and then was inconsolable when she has to repeat the level. I had another girl who was pity passed all the way from FS4 (loop jumps) to FS6 (lutz and axel prep). We spent more time on a loop jump because she only went 1/4 to 1/2 of a rotation rather than working on FS6. Tat mother actually sent our club president a scathing email about what a horrible coach I was and how her daughter had a really bad experience with me. Well, she couldn't do the stuff, didn't practice, and didn't really try to fix it.

Like I said, it is better to be solid with the elements than to not be able to do them...

In terms of testing, I actually don't "test" in the traditional sense. For me, it is class as usual because by the last day of class, I know who can do it and who can't...I am also known to just keep moving if we finish a level mid-session  :)

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 07:52:49 AM »
I did FS3 about 19 times (I was in it for 3 years).  I imagine I will be in FS4 for even longer.

I agree with those who have said you have to practice outside class.  I did pass all my basic skills classes in the first 8 weeks, but I skated about 4 hours outside class.  The girls in the class who only skated 30 minutes a week in class really didn't have a chance, and generally didn't pass first try.  It just isn't enough time to master the skills.  Even in school you have "homework" to practice on.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 03:04:50 PM »
There were many tests my DD took more than once - some as many as 3-4 times.  I haven't failed a test yet, but that is because my coach doesn't put me out until I'm ready.  I've been working on my current level for 3 years now and don't really have a test date in sight.

Sometimes I get discouraged.  My coach always reminds me that skating is hard and sometimes progress is slow.  She also says that the skaters that have to work the hardest are the ones that enjoy skating the longest.

Offline Vicki7

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 03:49:00 PM »
I was always repeating tests when I did group LTS classes as a kid. Now I take private lessons, we sign things off as we go, and when it comes to doing NISA tests, I doubt I'll be entered til my coach is as confident as can be that I'll pass.

I practice for an hour or 2 after my lesson, and if I can afford it, will do another session a week, so about 4 hours per week total sometimes, and it seems to be working so far.
Started lessons again: 6/11/2012
Currently working on Skate UK Level 8, and beginning to enter the world of ice dance :)

My skating blog: http://eye-see-the-ice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline sampaguita

• Alex, I'd like to buy an axel…
  • Total GOE: 44
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 07:05:30 PM »
Yup! I was already taking FS1 levels and after a long break, I decided to take all exams from Alpha forward (prior to FS 1 classes I had no formal tests). I passed only until Gamma, and happily enrolled in Delta because at least then I learn skating the right way.

Offline platyhiker

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 11
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 07:40:14 PM »
It is common to repeat a level when learning to skate - my daughter (age 8 ) has repeated level 1 and level 4 (where they teach front cross overs and outside three turns) in the USFS learn to skate program.  Two of her friends have also repeated level 4, one of them passing it on the third time.

I know that learning backward crossovers is another challenging skill - at least one of my daughter's friends has repeated that level, and I won't be surprised if my daughter does, too.

I think it's a good idea to think of repeating a level as "not having fully mastered the skills of the level" rather than "failing" the level.  Most skaters noticeably improve their skills over a series of lessons, even if they do not get the skills far enough along to move onto the next level.  When each test period of a series a lessons rolls around, I remind my daughter of the skills that she has learned and gotten better at during the lessons, and encourage her to be proud of new and improved skills whether or not she passes that particular test.

Taking class twice a week can be helpful to learning skills faster.  Skating practice on your own (at a public skating session) is very, VERY helpful.  When practicing, it's good to do some deliberate practice (like working on your crossovers in a circle), but you can also improve your skills (at the learn-to-skate level you are at) by just skating around for some of the time.  Playing games with your friends - like who can glide the longest on foot, who can glide with one foot with the free foot in various different positions, etc. help improve your balance and skill on your blades.

It's great that you are determined to learn to skate and want to do well.  Don't focus on how quickly you are learning skills compared to other people - focus on doing your best every time you skate and making time to skate outside of class.  Be proud of the skills you learn, and enjoy the process of becoming a better skater.

Offline ChristyRN

• Salchow-a-Bunga!
  • Total GOE: 184
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2012, 07:51:39 PM »
I was in adult 1-4 for nearly two years.  Now I work on parts of all of FS 1-6.  If I had to master each level before going on, I would have quit years ago.  That one foot/scratch spin is a major stumbling block.
Once in his life, every man is entitled to fall madly in love with one gorgeous redhead.  (Lucille Ball)

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2012, 09:01:48 PM »
Public sessions :blank: Practiced awhile ago. Jeez Little kids scared me (thought I was gonna bump into one of them) + a few adults who didn't know how to stop LOL
Then there was this young hockey player who criticized me. LOL I didn't care!

I used to go to the late night public sessions in the Park District's only indoor rink. They were great for skaters at learn to skate levels. Actually a few male figure skaters practice regularly on those sessions too, very inspiring to see double jumps or even triples when it's not too crowded. (not happening around Christmas)

The outdoor rinks are good for perfecting crossovers, too!

Offline joyfylgrl

• Wearing Rental Skates
  • Total GOE: 0
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 09:18:27 AM »
We've had an interesting year, so while my son was never told he had to repeat a level, we did have him repeat Basic 1 when we changed rinks.  In GA, they moved him from the snowplow sam 1-3 about half-way through the lessons.  Next session, they recommended him for Basic 1 which he did pass...however, we then moved to CO and we weren't sure how the new rink would be and he was off the ice for about 3 months during that time...so, we just signed him up for basic 1 again and he's now in basic 3.  As of yet, no repeats...his last teacher wants to take him on as a private student and he is ALWAYS talking about going on the ice, so he gets about 2 free skates a week???  I have been following his lead.  However, I will agree with others...he WANTS to be on the ice and "practices" about 2-3 hours a week (it's nice that he gets free "free skate" time with his lessons AND the rink is about 2 minutes from where we live).  I just let him go on the ice and do what he wants...he normally practices some of the basic moves, spends a lot of time seeing how fast he can go...he recently started a basic spin and likes to see how many times around he can go...essentially, makes it game. 

I will be honest though...he's only 5 and really, he does this because he's competitive with himself.  In his last class (basic 2), the whole class was made up of 10-12 year old girls and he was the only boy and only 5 year old.  He actually seemed to do better, but I think a huge part of it was the lack of embarrassment when he did something wrong (other parents mentioned that too)...