You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Moves in the Field tests - Adults in Utah get no breaks.. :(  (Read 11794 times)

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
  • Total GOE: 2
Moves in the Field tests - Adults in Utah get no breaks.. :(
« on: December 09, 2012, 03:19:50 PM »
I'm just venting, but I want to hear other adults input where you guys skate to see if it's the same or if they're more lax with adults...  I skated as a child and tested up to Junior ....  I still have good figures and I can land almost all my doubles except for 2lutz and 2axel which I will be starting to work on after my overuse injury to my landing leg (almost stress fractured the femur bone)..  I'm 35 and I decided to do moves in the field for the fun of it.  Adults here seem to be getting tested just as strictly as the kids.  I'm going to be taking my Silver moves a third time in January.  They're SO strict here and the moves that I seem to be getting marked on are the dance ones (cross strokes).  I feel they are fine and have looked and looked through youtube and I think I'm doing just fine, but the judges here are crazy.

I've seen adults here on their 8th and 9th silver / gold moves tries.  That's ridiculous because the ones I've seen should have honestly passed their tests.  We're doing this as a hobby now and not to become olympic champions.

How are adults doing in other parts of the country?  Are there any from Utah here that can comment on the brutalness of the judging here when it comes to judging the adults pretty much the same as the kids?

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
Re: Moves in the Field tests - Adults in Utah get no breaks.. :(
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 07:28:49 PM »
I have to ask the question, but what do the judges' comments say?  Maybe focus on whatever those comments are.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 07:29:38 PM »
I don't think the judges are lax on moves tests here.  Especially as you get higher up the test ladder.
I had a friend take intermediate a number of times, and she even brought in specialty coaches who were baffled why she again didn't pass.  She got it eventually.   

How about a testing vacation?  Give it a try somewhere else?

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 08:26:46 PM »
Since you are blessed with a ton of judges in your area, I would ask one of them for a critique or feedback. They really do want to pass you and will help if you ask.

Offline sarahspins

• Passed Silver MITF 4/7/13!
  • Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 131
  • CER-C
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 08:42:15 PM »
Since you are blessed with a ton of judges in your area, I would ask one of them for a critique or feedback. They really do want to pass you and will help if you ask.

I agree with this, and particularly since you specifically mention one move (the cross strokes) that should be one of the easier moves on the test as what is holding you back perhaps there is something about how you are doing them that just won't pass even if you feel you are doing the move adequately... maybe it's in the knee bend, or the pushes on the strokes, or in some other aspect and it may be something relatively simple to change.  If you are not working with a coach, you definitely should be - there are so many things my coach has pointed out to me over the past 2 years that I would have remained blissfully unaware of, and I'm happy to have been able to make the changes I needed to make in my skating.

Personally I don't want to be judged as an adult and pass a test that shouldn't otherwise be passed - it's part of why I chose not to try during our last test session.  I might have squeaked by with my silver moves if I skated exceptionally well, but I didn't want to pass that way - I want my moves to be at a place where I can have an iffy skate and still pass without problems.

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 09:47:02 PM »
I have to ask the question, but what do the judges' comments say?  Maybe focus on whatever those comments are.

See, that's the thing... the moves that I failed on were the cross strokes from one judge and they said "backwards cross strokes were all stepped" but I know for a fact they weren't because the other 2 judges said "back cross strokes were good" that was a 2.6, the rest of my marks that judge gave me were 2.7 so that basically made it so i didn't get to 16.2 ... then, the other move was the 8 step.  2 judges said I had great rhythm and cadence and the one that gave me the deduction said it that steps 5678 on the right side weren't marched enough.  That judge also gave me 2.7 even though the one judge that did pass me gave me 2.8s on 2 elements. 

I look at youtube and see passing moves tests on there that wouldn't have had a chance in hell here.

There is one adult skater I know that ended up going to another state to take his moves tests and he's passed everything and now is working on novice moves.  He failed silver and gold multiple times and ended up passing them on the first try outside of here. 

I've now had 2 judges see my moves (one is from out of state) and I was told that they were good and would pass.

I'm going to have another take a look and take a video and see what could be possibly going wrong, because I'm really at a loss. 

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2012, 09:54:58 PM »

How about a testing vacation?  Give it a try somewhere else?

I might have to try that.  I'm also considering bringing in our resident dance coach to see what they expect on the moves that were taken from the dance side of things.

By the way thanks to all that replied!  I'm going to see if I can get a hold of some of the judges and see if I can get a one on one with the stricter ones and  have her point out exactly where the issue is. 

Offline twokidsskatemom

• Compulsory Figures
  • Total GOE: 17
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 10:10:07 PM »
are you provo or slc/ ogden

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 11:35:04 PM »
are you provo or slc/ ogden

SLC...  I was going to test at Provo (and recently I heard people were passing more than usual at that session, hehe), but I had just changed from Harlick to Edea boots so I could take some weight off and didn't feel comfortable testing 3 weeks after I changed my boots.  In hindsight I wish I would have tested that session, heh.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 34
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 08:01:59 AM »
Seems like you've got two choices:  either test somewhere else or fix the moves so that you give the judges what they're looking for.

It also seems to me that if a lot of skaters are having trouble passing the same tests, then the fault lies with the coaches, not the judges, especially if it's not always the same three judges doing all the tests. 

As for judges giving adults a break:  well, there's a lower passing average for adults and masters, if you specify that you're taking the alternate form.  That is the "break" written into they system. 

Offline nicklaszlo

• Three-Penny Three-Turns
  • Total GOE: 221
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 09:56:56 AM »
there's a lower passing average for adults

That's not true until Intermediate.

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 03:03:08 PM »
I misread the original poster and believed she was talking about Junior Moves, since she said she'd tested up to Junior as a child.  I didn't realize that she'd started over with the Adult tests.  But the Silver Adult Test has a lower passing stand than the Pre-Juv/Juv standard moves so the "break" is still there. 

The point I was trying to make is that the judges don't change their stanard of proficiency according to the age of the tester;  it's the marking standard that is adjusted to allow for lower skill level in older skaters.

Offline tazsk8s

• Freestyle Skater
  • Total GOE: 25
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2012, 03:51:39 PM »
But the Silver Adult Test has a lower passing stand than the Pre-Juv/Juv standard moves so the "break" is still there. 

Yes, and no. At least in theory.

8 step and cross strokes are on the standard Juv. test (2.9?) but need a 2.7 to pass Silver. A bit of a break there (in theory).

3's in the field and power pulls are at the same score as the kids (2.7). No break there.  Spirals are a standard Prelim move (2.5), Silver needs a 2.7. Higher standard, again in theory.

The problem I have run into in my area is the numbers really don't appear to matter to the judges.  There really isn't anything out there saying "this is what a 2.7 cross stroke should look like versus a 2.9 cross stroke" for example, and since the main point of reference they have is the kids, they pretty much expect the cross strokes to all look like what the kids do...if it looks "right" and it's an adult test, it gets a 2.7, if it looks "right" and it's a standard test, it gets a 2.9.  After several tries (and "invitations to retry") of the Silver MITF I've pretty much given up on the adult MITF track. If I'm going to get judged on the kids' standard anyway I might as well work on those tests.  At least there's some sense of consistency that has developed over the years from watching numerous tests...there just aren't that many people testing beyond Bronze here anymore that there's any real sense of what a passing Silver moves test "should" look like.

All of the above, JMO, based on my experiences in testing these.

Offline PinkLaces

• Flooping To The Beat
  • Total GOE: 27
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2012, 04:04:58 PM »

The problem I have run into in my area is the numbers really don't appear to matter to the judges.  There really isn't anything out there saying "this is what a 2.7 cross stroke should look like versus a 2.9 cross stroke" for example, and since the main point of reference they have is the kids, they pretty much expect the cross strokes to all look like what the kids do...if it looks "right" and it's an adult test, it gets a 2.7, if it looks "right" and it's a standard test, it gets a 2.9.  After several tries (and "invitations to retry") of the Silver MITF I've pretty much given up on the adult MITF track. If I'm going to get judged on the kids' standard anyway I might as well work on those tests.  At least there's some sense of consistency that has developed over the years from watching numerous tests...there just aren't that many people testing beyond Bronze here anymore that there's any real sense of what a passing Silver moves test "should" look like.

All of the above, JMO, based on my experiences in testing these.

I have not tested Silver Moves (working on it), but my experience talking with other skaters - many whom have taken Silver Moves 4,5, or more times before passing is the same.   I also was a test chair for about 5 years so have seen many test scores including Adult Silver Moves.  If it looks "right" i.e. similar standard to the kids, it will get whatever the passing mark is.  If it doesn't, it will be scored below the passing mark.  There really is no break for adults. At least in my area, anyway.

Offline Kim to the Max

• Ice is the Vice
  • Total GOE: 72
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »
I am currently on an invitation to take my Senior moves for the 5th time. 3 of the previous 4 times I took the moves, have been clean, good run thrus that didn't necessarily require a retry (1 of those times, I screwed up twice). But there was something that the judges wanted that wasn't there. This past time Coach2 asked one of the judges for some additional feedback (they are friends) and the judge 1) said that they wanted more presentation and 2) had no clue that I am 32...she thought that I was early/mid-20s... At least I know that it's not because I am an adult that I keep failing. It has been super frustrating to see the "kids" pass this test with no problems when some of them truly do not have the refined presentation that the judges are looking for. I have been working on them for over 2 years now and am determined to pass them on the standard track. I have passed every other test at that standard, but that just means I need to work 3x's as hard as the kids to get it. And when I do get it, I will truly understand the moves and what it takes, while the kids who have flown through their moves, will be a little lost on how to teach them. My major hurtles are the LFI 2.5 twizzle in the serpentine and the Back Outside Double 3 power pulls to a rocker/rocker (I got a concussion doing these in August).

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 05:21:59 PM »
If it looks "right" i.e. similar standard to the kids, it will get whatever the passing mark is.  If it doesn't, it will be scored below the passing mark.  There really is no break for adults. At least in my area, anyway.

Must be difficult to transform test results to decimal points.

I am wondering if judges expect the same level of power and ice coverage from a very tiny young kid and a teenager, everything else being equal. If the answer is no, what about a very tiny young kid vs. an adult...

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 08:41:51 PM »
No they don't have the same expectation of power and flow

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 09:48:52 PM »
No they don't have the same expectation of power and flow

They do seem to have that expectation here, but maybe they think I'm younger than I really am..  I don't think a lot of them realize that I'm 35.  One the coaches at my rink was talking to me today and out of the blue I mentioned that I'm 35 and she about flipped out.  I do look like I'm in my 20s so maybe there's that.

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 09:53:30 PM »
Some people may have misread my post.  I did test up to Junior as a kid / teenager... but there was no such thing as moves in the field.  I did figures and freestyle.  I'm doing moves from the beginning solely because I never got to and I thought it would be a fun challenge. 

Offline icedancer

• Custom Skates
  • Total GOE: 143
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 09:55:14 PM »
I wonder what would happen if you started at the beginning of the Standard Tests instead of the Adult Track?

Offline blue111moon

• Freestyle Skater
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2012, 08:06:23 AM »
All I can say is that, having been test chair of my club for almost 20 years and having trial judged for several years as well (before my eyesight failed and I quit because I can't see clearly across the rink), my experience has been that the judges have developed clear visions of the  elements "should" look like for each level.   Individual judges may have slightly different components of those elements that they focus on.  I know one judge who has a distaste for spins that travel because she thinks it indicates a lack of technique and another who looks for held landings on all jumps.  I found that out by - gasp! - talking to them in general terms after test sessions I ran. 
I've never heard one say that the age of the skater makes a difference to them. 

So unless you're facing the same three judges every time you test and fail, then I'd tend to think that the fault lies with the test you're putting out there, rather than with all the judges in your area being too harsh with adults.  But the only way you can know more is to talk to the judges and ask directly what you need to improve. 

The only other factor I'd consider is how many adult tests the judges in your area actually see during a given year.  If they're only seeing a handful a year, they might not be able to form their mental image of what a Silver test "should" look like and fall back on the standards they already have.  In that case, going to an area where judges see a lot of adult tests might be beneficial. 

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2012, 09:51:26 AM »
I had 2 of the same judges both times... the 2 that gave me the retry.  They both failed me by .1 each.  I hear they never give bonus marks so basically gave me 2.7 and then one gave me a 2.6 on my mowhawk and one gave me 2.6 on my cross strokes.  the other judge that was the 3rd one that passed me was different Each time... gave me bonus points on the cross strokes and another element too . Same with the first one.  Boggle.

Offline severina

• Mohawk of Doom
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 10:17:23 AM »
I think there may be different judges at the next test session.. I am going to record my moves sometime this week or next and post up for critique in the videos area...

Offline jjane45

• Clean Skate
  • Total GOE: 162
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 10:40:57 AM »
Are you working with a coach who regularly takes skaters thru moves tests? :)

Video is a great idea.

Offline Skittl1321

• Swizzle Royalty
  • Total GOE: 121
    • Skittles Skates
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 12:05:26 PM »
I hear they never give bonus marks

This is an issue I have.  My coach has basically told me I won't be able to pass Silver moves because I can't expect to make up the difference of a bad move with my good moves (I have a labral tear in my hip- I'm not getting surgery just so I can do spirals.  That is pretty much the only thing in my life the tear affects). 

He took his pre-bronze dances tests and was marked -just- over the passing average.  He has his senior tests in 3 other disciplines.  Since he thinks I am skating at passing standard for the pre-bronze test I know, I can guarantee he is full points above me, not a tenth or two.    But the judges basically see "oh, that's passing" and write down whatever the passing score is.  If it is phenomenal, they'll give it a tenth.  But there is no "oh that was very good" to get bonus points.  As far as I'm concerned, by the way they are judged, all the tests are pass/retry.  Though I have heard that some people get to pass with one move marked down and the strength of another move, but it seems to be rare.

But seriously, I don't think it is just your area.

I found that out by - gasp! - talking to them in general terms after test sessions I ran. 
But you could only do that because you were test chair.  Skaters are discouraged from talking directly to judges at test sessions (because they would be mobbed).  We don't have local judges so we can't ask for feedback on non-test days.