You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Changes to Skate Canada SOV B/c of ISU new rules  (Read 2855 times)

Offline singerskates

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
  • Canadian Adult Skater
    • Singerskates Sports Music Editing
Changes to Skate Canada SOV B/c of ISU new rules
« on: July 05, 2012, 03:19:33 AM »
The ISU and Skate Canada just made it harder for anyone competing in less than Gold, Junior or Senior to get more marks in our spins, steps and spirals. If your not in either Gold, Junior or Senior level singles skater, you can only receive a level B for spins, steps sequences and Sequences spirals. This puts all the pressure on us doing out jumps better and higher than anyone else in competition. Also, for us Canadian adults and those competing at the ISU Adult Invitational our marks will definitely be pitifully low looking because if your not doing at least upper level double jumps or higher, you can't get much from your jumps.

In Canada you can read about the changes at http://www.skatecanada.ca in the Members Only section.

Would someone from the US post where to look at the USFS site?

I'm not sure if this applies to Canadian Adult Bronze Freeskaters but they are saying that we can't do footwork sequences and that we can only do 2 forward spirals; 1 right foot and 1 left foot. See more info in Members Only. In StarSkate this new rule applies to PrePrelim and Prelim freeskaters.
"It's not age that determines but the heart." "Skating is not just a sport for the young but it's a passion for the soul of the young at heart." Brigitte Laskowski

I am an adult skater who is a member of Tecumseh Skating  WOS for 2012 2013 season.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Changes to Skate Canada SOV B/c of ISU new rules
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 05:49:35 AM »
This doesn't correlate to my understanding. Level B is added to the SOV across the board due to ISU regulations; it applies to everyone under SOV.  There have long been restrictions on Levels in Spins and Spirals at the Pre-Juve, Juve, and up to Sr Bronze levels in Starskate; now, they're at Level B instead of Level 1, as Level B has been added. At Senior Silver in StarSkate, and at Pre-Nov and above in Competitive, you certainly can get levels in steps, spins, etc.

At JB and above, you can do a spiral or a step; the spiral sequence is only req'd at Pre-Pre and Pre. It's an option for the other levels. The tech document out there is just to clarify what a spiral sequence is and how to get the +GOE.

Perhaps, though, I've missed something new. Which doc in Members Only are you referring to?

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
  • Total GOE: 64
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:27:10 PM »
Because everyone will get the same level and the same jump restrictions apply, it is in ALL skaters' best interests to have the best possible skating skills and well constructed programs.  USFS has the WBP requirements here: http://www.usfsa.org/content/AdultSinglesWBPChart.pdf

If you go to icenetwork and look at the results from US Adult Nationals, you will see that the winner of the (qualifying) CHAMPIONSHIP Gold Ladies event did not have the most difficult elements (she only did up to a single Axel when it is possible to do 2S and/or 2T at this level and she got L1 on all three spins) but what she did do was OUTSKATE everyone in terms of program construction, flow, presentation, QUALITY of her elements (very few if any negative GOEs) and so on.  I think you miss the point entirely (need to jump better than the other people at your level) in that it sounds like Skate Canada is pushing for skaters with strong PCS and solid basic positions spins at the lower levels.

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:12:08 PM »
If I was advising an adult skater, it would be to get a decent backspin because with the new B level, an adult bronze skater should probably do a back entry spin (backspin) to get a level 1 and then do a combo or a change foot as their other spin.       At the adult Bronze level, spins are three times the point elements than jumps and should be skated with quality.    But the tech package is not released and for all anyone knows, they might just follow what they've had for a few years as the Skating for Life category is on the back burner while they get everything else realigned.

Offline singerskates

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Canadian Adult Skater
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 01:42:27 AM »
As far as testing for adult skaters in Canada, we fallow everything in the StarSkate testing. Which means, simple but strong spins and we Bronze level skaters better learn to get strong backspins in all positions. We also better jump higher and cleaner than before. To me it looks like they want perfection and are getting very picky about it. I didn't test this past June like I planned because my blades got totally wrecked a week before test day by a skating sharping business. Not too happy about it. The only good thing about having to do two spirals in Bronze/Preliminary FS is that it helps me speed up my program and put in 6 jump windows like my coach wants and still be able to get my spins to have more than 3 revs in less than 1:40.

I kind of think that it sucks that Pre-Novice (StarSkate Junior Silver) and Novice (Senior Silver) are loosing the ability to have their spin and footwork be called higher than level B no matter what you do in your spin. We are going to see dull plain looking spins again and footwork that looks like Preliminary footwork in all levels up to Novice (Senior Silver). What a shame that the ISU took the levels away from these two levels which have had it for the last few years.

Yup, it's back to jump, jump, jump in  :WS: and  :BS:. The jumpers and fast skaters will be winning again and the artistic people who don't necessarily jump well will not do so well in the lower levels. You're going to see that either people will quit skating or be hurting themselves trying to get those jumps no matter what. You're going to see Adult Bronze skaters spend all their time working on those Loop, Flip, Lutz and Backspin elements. At least that's what I'm going to be doing.
"It's not age that determines but the heart." "Skating is not just a sport for the young but it's a passion for the soul of the young at heart." Brigitte Laskowski

I am an adult skater who is a member of Tecumseh Skating  WOS for 2012 2013 season.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 05:26:27 AM »
My one kid skates Novice.  We are absolutely getting levels in our step sequences and spins, and we would be at Pre-Nov if we were skating at that level. The only spot where the Level B applies for the competitive track at PN and up is if you choose to do a spiral sequence; they are called only as Level B, whereas you can get the other levels on the Step sequences. And, you are required to do a step sequence in Pre-Nov & Nov Women short, Pre-Nov Men short, Nov Men short and Long, and the spiral is an option in Pre-Nov & Nov Women Long. So, if you choose to do the spiral as you don't want to do step sequences, which are typically more complex, then, you're going to take the hit by being stuck at LB, albeit you can add GOE.

Footwork and spins should actually get more interesting as the ISU is taking away certain of the ways to get the "levels", so, doing your whole footwork on one foot won't bring you up a level for example, nor will spinning dozens of revolutions on every jump; you have to be way more creative (my kid's footwork this year is considerably more complex than last year, and all of the spins are having to be changed).

Yes, Starskate Jb to JS are called as Level B - but they were last couple of years as well at Level 1, there's really no difference. And, the +GOE was certainly awarded in competition to skaters who had complicated spins and footwork.

This isn't an ISU thingee, it's a Skate Canada thingee; when points came in, all of the little girls who could do footwork and L4 spins and spirals in Pre-Juve etc were winning, and coaches were de-emphasizing jumps to focus on the easy points (actually, they were focussing primarily on spins as it was way easier to get a L4 spin than a L4 footwork).  So, they are making sure that jumps are worked upon equally. With the limited number of elements available at these levels in terms of quantity, one kid who could rotate 2 L4 spins was pretty much guaranteed a win or at least a high placement (saw it many times) - even if s/he was just landing basic singles.  Which is not what SC wanted the little ones to be focussing on, as jumps were being neglected.

SC probably should put together an Adult WB program.  Maybe now that they are claiming that they want to develop this track, they will do so.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 05:33:38 AM »
The only good thing about having to do two spirals in Bronze/Preliminary FS is that it helps me speed up my program and put in 6 jump windows like my coach wants and still be able to get my spins to have more than 3 revs in less than 1:40.

Junior Bronze and is 2 minutes +/- 10 seconds, not 1:30 +/- 10 seconds, and there is no requirement to do the spiral sequences at all.  Preliminary is 1:30 +/- 10 seconds, and yes, you get to do the spiral sequence instead of the step sequence.

I'm actually quite pleased about the changes to the WBP at the lower levels: SC's rationale for doing things such as the loop/loop requirement at Pre and the backward entry spin requirements make a lot of sense. I generally am very critical of SC's stuff, particularly the "surprise! we're changing stuff!" mentality, however, these changes are good.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 05:44:01 AM »
Pre-Novice (StarSkate Junior Silver) and Novice (Senior Silver)

Novice was Gold Starskate equivalency, not Senior Silver (changed a couple of years ago); PN was equated to Sr Silver, and Juvie test to Jr Silver.  Now that the comp tests are gone, the qualifying StarSkate test for Pre-Juve to PN is Junior Bronze (!!!!) and for Novice and up it's Gold FS. 

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 05:56:10 PM »
Junior Bronze and is 2 minutes +/- 10 seconds, not 1:30 +/- 10 seconds, and there is no requirement to do the spiral sequences at all.  Preliminary is 1:30 +/- 10 seconds, and yes, you get to do the spiral sequence instead of the step sequence.
  OP means Adult Bronze.

Offline techskater

• Ice Dancer
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 06:03:00 PM »
As far as testing for adult skaters in Canada, we fallow everything in the StarSkate testing. Which means, simple but strong spins and we Bronze level skaters better learn to get strong backspins in all positions. We also better jump higher and cleaner than before. To me it looks like they want perfection and are getting very picky about it. I didn't test this past June like I planned because my blades got totally wrecked a week before test day by a skating sharping business. Not too happy about it. The only good thing about having to do two spirals in Bronze/Preliminary FS is that it helps me speed up my program and put in 6 jump windows like my coach wants and still be able to get my spins to have more than 3 revs in less than 1:40.years.
In the US and the ISU Adult Comp, 6 jump passes are not allowed at the Bronze level (unless you mean 6 jumps as in 2 combinations and 2 more solo jumps). That makes for an unbalanced program and is a deduction in the  US  and Germany.  Actually, 6 jump passes aren't allowed until the first masters level here in the US.  I would expect to see loop, flip, and Lutz of varying quality at the Bronze level, though, even in 4 jump passes (and that includes at O'dorf). Of course the faster skaters are going to do well, that typically shows skating skills to be able to control your skating and a skater should only include elements that they can do cleanly (meaning cheated jumps = no).

Offline retired

• Gamified Figure Skater!
  • Total GOE: 71
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »
Starskate Preliminary freeskate test can have six jump slots,  I think that is what OP is talking about.    It's possible to pass the test using two jump slots, by doing a waltz/toe combo and a sal/loop combo.  NOT recommended however !!!

Offline singerskates

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Canadian Adult Skater
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 02:57:17 AM »
That's right. I was talking about the Skate Canada Prliminary test when  I said that my coach wanted me ding 6 jumping passes, a solo spin, a combo spin and a spiral sequence. Canadian Adult Bronze also only lets you have 4 jumping passes , a solo spin , you may have a combo spin for your second spin ans either a footwork sequence or a spiral sequence. I am still getting ready to test. That's why I have 2 more jumping passes with with 30 seconds less music than I use to using.