You are viewing as a Guest.

Welcome to skatingforums - over 10 years of figure skating discussions for skaters, coaches, judges and parents!

Please register to be able to access all features of this message board.

Author Topic: Canadian Free Skate Testing?  (Read 1152 times)

Offline singerskates

• Synchro Stompin'
  • Total GOE: 6
  • Canadian Adult Skater
    • Singerskates Sports Music Editing
Canadian Free Skate Testing?
« on: May 02, 2012, 02:31:23 PM »
How is the test session run? I've tested in Interpretive, and Dance and passed but never have tested in Free Skate before.

I know what I'll be tested on in the Preliminary FS test but don't know how the test is conducted. How?

Do you do your FS part 1 elements first and then right away the FS part 2 the program or do I just do Part 1 along with a whole bunch of others testing the same level free and then later that same test session do my program?

How is the FS Part 1 done?
"It's not age that determines but the heart." "Skating is not just a sport for the young but it's a passion for the soul of the young at heart." Brigitte Laskowski

I am an adult skater who is a member of Tecumseh Skating  WOS for 2012 2013 season.

Offline learning_as_i_go

• Under the Edge
  • Total GOE: 4
Re: Canadian Free Skate Testing?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 08:46:18 PM »
At our rink the judges come down to ice level for the elements and normally they test a few at the same time each taking their turn to do the required element.   The skaters all get their 4 minute warm up and are then called over to the boards by their coach and the judge then tells them which element to perform.  They run through everything and then anything that needs a re-skate is done at the end.  They find out right away if they've passed or not.For this reason all the elements tests are done one after the other and the solos later in the day.  Solos they don't find out if they've passed until their test sheet has been signed.

Offline Sk8tmum

• Click of Death
  • Location: An arena, of course. More specifically, a Canadian arena.
  • Total GOE: 143
Re: Canadian Free Skate Testing?
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:15:42 PM »
A bit late ... but if this helps.

The elements and the solos (i.e. Part 1 and Part 2) aren't necessarily tested at the same time. You could, theoretically, do your Pre FS ELements all the way up to your Gold Elements, and never test a Part 2 (and still compete Preliminary!).  You can also test Part 1 on one test day, and Part 2 on another; there's no problem with that at all, and you can test Part 2 before Part 1, or vice versa.

For elements, yes, the evaluators are rinkside. You will do your stroking first, then each of the elements in sequence (look at the test sheet for the order). If you're with a group, everyone will do each element before moving on to the next one.  At the end, they will check to see if you've passed ALL of your stroking, and enough elements. If you haven't passed the stroking, and/or enough elements you'll get reskates if you're close enough to passing. For Prelim, you have to pass (i.e. get Satisfactory or higher) 12/14, and all of the stroking exercises.  You can reskate up to 4 elements. In other words, if you get a "NI" on seven or more, you're not going to get reskates. Your coach is with you, and the evaluator will give you feedback on what needs to be improved. Note that you can retry an element several times - if the evaluator lets you.

For the program, you will skate the program; the judge will mark the sheet, the test chair gets it, and then you get it. It's just like your interpretive and your dance.  

Attached is a link to the Prelim test sheet.

http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/Patrick%202010%202011/6%2029%2011%20Preliminary%20Freeskate%20test%20sheet%20July%201,2011.pdf